Series 8 - Episode 6

Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Series 8 - Episode 6

Post by Canadanne »

What is Brother Strange referring to when he says "And remember - duck, and keep to the right!"? If he's talking about snapdragons in the dwarf tunnel, they certainly don't take his advice and no snapdragons appear. There aren't any fireballs in the clue room either.

It's pretty weird how the Skeletron's marching can be heard before and during its actual formation. :P
stevendoig
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by stevendoig »

Regarding other posts doubting the death scene...

I reckon (someone could probably correct me:) ) that a lot of death scenes were re-filmed to make them more convincing. He probably originally took his step to the left and the crew then said 'Sorry, you're dead' They then re-filmed it with instructions to the dungeoneer to 'step left and act like you're falling'.
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by JamesA »

stevendoig wrote:I reckon (someone could probably correct me:) ) that a lot of death scenes were re-filmed to make them more convincing. He probably originally took his step to the left and the crew then said 'Sorry, you're dead' They then re-filmed it with instructions to the dungeoneer to 'step left and act like you're falling'.
That is indeed what would have happened in some cases.

If a dungeoneer took a step that would mean that they were to "plummet" to their death as a result, the death scene of them falling would be re-filmed with the dungeoneer standing on a blue block and then taking the necessary step off the block so it looks like they're falling to their doom (when in fact the blue block against the blue Chromakey background is deceptive enough to mean that they're just stepping down a few centimetres in reality).

Another example of a "falling death scene" is where the dungeoneer takes the wrong step but instead of having them step off a blue block the dungeoneer would simply be instructed to raise both arms in the air whilst the camera would tilt upwards with them against the blue background so the editing/production team could then make it out to be as if they were falling.
James Aukett
Creator of the Knightmare: 25th Anniversary Documentary
Morghanna
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Morghanna »

Nathan haggled well and swapped the gold for a magic book.
In the next room they deployed the globe for Maldame, but for no reward. :(
They arrived in the fireball room and were given the hurry-up by goblin horns. Unfortunately Nathan was told to step left one pace too soon and he fell thru a gap in the tiles. :'( :'(

:question: Did leaving Maldame without obtaining a spell put them in losing status? Maybe, but if you wanna be cynical they went into losing status about five seconds before Nathan entered the dungeon, when they were assigned the quest for the (poisoned)chalice.... ;)

:idea: I don't like the idea that they failed because they had no magic from Maldame. Firstly, other teams managed that room without any magic.
Secondly, it was extremely harsh to penalise a very young team for not demanding a reward from a rather bad-tempered sorceress.

It became a notable feature of the later years of Knightmare that many teams adopted a demanding attitude of "what's in it for us?" when dealing with characters, rather than waiting for a reward to be offered, which seems totally contrary to the spirit of chivalry which the Knightmare quest was originally supposed to be a test of....

I felt really sorry for team 3. Nathan was one of the best dungeoneers ever. Rather like Sophia's team (S6 T6) they were an excellent team that were actually better than a couple of the winning teams down the years. It wouldn't have been undeserved if they had triumphed.

Team 4 encountered Brother Strange and provided a proverb, then with his spyglass learned the rune-lock combo. When he announced how many thousand pages of proverbs he would collect, advisor Haydn commented: "How sad!" ;D
Entered the level 1 clue-room and eventually chose an egg-timer and gold. Moved a bit more quickly in fireball alley altho they were given a hurry-up by goblins
Ran into Stiletta. Great comment from her: "All helmet and no brains. Just like most of the men i meet." ;D ;D ;D
One of the advisors grumbled: "Wouldn't stand for that!" ::) She dealt with the goblins and gave them some info.
In the trap-door room Rothberry traded a "FLOAT" spell for the gold and helped them to open it.

Straight into level 2 clue-room. Chose a bat and some stinkwort. :question: Should they have taken the brain pills instead of the stinkwort?
Arrived in the sewers just in time to help Sidriss escape Snapper-Jack.

Team 4 didn't exactly set the dungeon alight. The advisors were rather indecisive and Michael didn't really get the hang of "Move quickly!"
"I think it's about time you got wise to the ways of real magic. The kind that is borne on the dark side." >:D
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

Morghanna wrote: 07 Oct 2020, 19:05I felt really sorry for team 3. Nathan was one of the best dungeoneers ever. Rather like Sophia's team (S6 T6) they were an excellent team that were actually better than a couple of the winning teams down the years. It wouldn't have been undeserved if they had triumphed.
Fully agreed! They are one of my all-time favourite teams.