Knightmare Commentary Tracks

Knightmare inspired creations from the community.
DJFairborne77
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Re: Knightmare Commentary Tracks

Post by DJFairborne77 »

I'm glad the forum moderator has now moved my comments about the fan commentaries to the proper area etc. Anyway, so far I have really been enjoying all the commentaries by Martin Odoni & Jake/Rosey Collins. But, I'm particularly looking forward to hearing the Series 5 - Episode 1 one, as for me personally this is when I started to lose interest in the show a little. I love the first 3 series & even series 4 whilst it has it's share of problems (such as the Eye-Shield etc), it's not too bad & I usually find myself enjoying it when I watch an episode - but don't get me started about Giles' team quest etc! But, from Series 5 onwards, the show seems to be focused quite a lot on Lord Fear, who seems to quickly take over the show, as for example he goes onto do the pre-credits opening sequences in Series 6 - 8, whereas Treguard had always done them from Series 3 - 5 (there weren't any in Series 1/2 btw). Also, it just feels like once he was introduced into the show, Lord Fear suddenly becomes the 'star' from then on & it's not Treguard anymore. Also, I don't like Series 5 for introducing the appalling character Elita, who is just so awful & sometimes I don't know if she's acting or just being rude for the sake of it! Anyway, enough of my ramblings!...

So, I do look forward to hearing the commentary for Series 5 - Episode 1 whenever it will be available. Merry Christmas to everyone on here btw!...
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

Thanks for the feedback, DJF. As luck would have it, I did a commentary track for S5E1 only last night, and it will be uploaded as soon as I can get to a PC that has the right software for filtering and uploading (I'm presently away from home for the Xmas break). I should make clear though that it'll probably be the last commentary I do. It seems that very few people are listening to the tracks, so I don't see much point in carrying on with them - although if others wish to make more of them, I will continue to 'publish' them of course.
DJFairborne77
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by DJFairborne77 »

Hi HStorm, thanks for your reply. I am sad to hear that the commentaries haven't proved very popular, as I've listened to 10 now & have really enjoyed them all. I like the ones you have done so far & also the Jake ''Eyeshield'' Collins ones are good too, as too are the ones he does with Rosey - he she his sister btw? It will be a shame if you don't do anymore, but between you & Jake, there aren't that many episodes left to do now anyway though.

I've noticed in your commentaries so far that you're not a big fan of Series 4 & although I do quite like this series, I do find myself agreeing with some of your points about it so far. It is very repetitive & also the other new things they introduced in this series (such as Pickle, the Eye Shield & new theme music etc) have all divided many fans opinions over the years, so it was interesting to hear your views, especially with the possibly rejected new opening titles, which are used as the end credits in several episodes. It never occured to me that's what they were, as I just though that's a weird thing to use during the end credits, but now listening to your commentaries, I now realise what they could have been. I am glad they weren't used though!...

My own thoughts on Series 4, is that I wonder if Tim Child had more control over the show from then on, as if you look at the credits of each episode, he is now the last name in them, whereas in Series 1 - 3 it was the Director, Sally Freeman instead. She is also no longer the Director of the show, as she is replaced by Jimmy McKinney. Also, Susan Child (who I read is actually Tim's sister, although for many years just assumed it was his wife!) is a new addition to the show, as production co-ordinator or whatever it was. So perhaps Tim was given more power & freedom with the show to make whatever changes he wanted for Series 4 & so he did, hence the many changes we saw introduced in this series & from then on with each subsequent series. Still, I much prefer Series 4 to Series 5, as I am not keen on that series, as I don't like Elita at all & also not keen on Gwendoline either. Anyway, I shall look forward to your S5E1 commentary when it's available, to hear your views on the opening episode of this series, which includes the first ever apperance of Lord Fear of course!

Anyway, ''Merry Christmas'' to you, HStorm & everyone else on the forum btw! Hope you all have a good one...
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

And Merry Xmas to you too!

Regarding Tim Child having greater power over the show from S4, I don't think he did. If anything, his hand was probably forced a lot more due to the pressure controllers at CITV were putting on him to up the speed of the game. They were very unhappy about how slow Knightmare had been in its first couple of seasons and wanted the teams to be made to hurry up more, which is the reason for introducing elements like the Eye-Shield i.e. by taking more of the decisions out of the hands of the advisors. The problem was that, at least in season 4, the Eye-Shield sequences were so long, and were so slow themselves - the guy carrying the camera obviously didn't want to move fast for fear of making the picture bob up and down all the time - that if anything the game became even slower! TES sequences became mercifully shorter in later years, but yes, I'm afraid for this and other reasons, I regard season 4 as fairly dire, especially the closing episode, which I regard as an all-time nadir of the series. (Any fans of that episode, be very glad that Jake did the commentary on it instead of me!)
DarkComet
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by DarkComet »

HStorm wrote:(Any fans of that episode, be very glad that Jake did the commentary on it instead of me!)
Having just sat through series 4 and contemplating doing a few more commentaries, I consider it a good thing Jake got to the final ep before me. I fear that I would have lacked restraint in passing judgement, possibly in a manner similar to this fellow.
The Dunshelm Players
Audios plays and commentaries with a Knightmare flavour

The neighing and braying of farmyard animals follows
Eyeshield
Inoperative

Post by Eyeshield »

Yes, Rosey is my sister, and don't worry, I'll be doing more commentaries!
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

That track for season 5 episode 1 that I mentioned above is now available.
DJFairborne77
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by DJFairborne77 »

HStorm wrote:That track for season 5 episode 1 that I mentioned above is now available.
Another excellent commentary there HStorm, shame that you don't plan to do anymore as I've been enjoying your commentaries so far. Had to laugh when you said that the actress Natalie J. Robb looks a bit like a female version of Treguard/Hugo Myatt, as I remember her from her days in both ''Doctors'' & ''The Bill'' and often thought the same! If Treguard had ever of had a sex change (like what Holly did in ''Red Dwarf'') between seasons then she would've been perfect to have played the female version! ''Knightmare'' did have some nice-looking actresses over the years though, but the best looking actress IMHO was Joanne Heywood, who I am sure you know played Stiletta in Series 8. I've seen her in some adverts recently on TV, for some butter or something similar. Natahsa Pope, Audrey Jenkinson & Jackie Sawiris were all alright too. Jacqueline Joyce was quite nice too, especially when she played Marta in that low-cut dress! Anyway, back to the topic!...

So, yeah I've been enjoying all the commentaries so far, from yourself & also Jake Collins and his sister Rosey. Maybe one reason they've not been too popular is that nobody knows about them, as I didn't until about a week ago! Perhaps if there could be a little notice put on the website's main page (with a link etc) then more people would find out about them & download them etc.
DarkComet
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by DarkComet »

Glad you've been enjoying them DJ, I'm finding them fascinating to listen to as well.

From what I gather, there's an overhaul of the site in the works that will feature more regular news updating. It's being handled by Mysteria, who's responsible for the Aegis Quest website, so I predict awesomeness. In the meantime though, if you're on Twitter then you can get news of the most recent commentaries by following KnightmareAP. Giving us a RT every now and then will certainly help spread the love. :D
The Dunshelm Players

HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

DJFairborne77 wrote:If Treguard had ever of had a sex change (like what Holly did in ''Red Dwarf'') between seasons then she would've been perfect to have played the female version!
I have often thought that a female Dungeon Master (Dungeon Mistress?) would be interesting. Dunno if NJR would be that good a choice though, as, for all the similar facial features she has to Hugo, she just doesn't strike me as weird or sinister enough. Although I've never seen her try to play a character that way, so I could well be wrong. Either way, an Anglo-Saxon Dungeon Master with a tough, Govan city-girl accent does sound a little incongruous to me.
DJFairborne77
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by DJFairborne77 »

Dark Comet wrote:Glad you've been enjoying them DJ, I'm finding them fascinating to listen to as well.

From what I gather, there's an overhaul of the site in the works that will feature more regular news updating. It's being handled by Mysteria, who's responsible for the Aegis Quest website, so I predict awesomeness. In the meantime though, if you're on Twitter then you can get news of the most recent commentaries by following KnightmareAP. Giving us a RT every now and then will certainly help spread the love. :D
I have to agree with you Dark Comet, in that I have found the commentaries very interesting & enjoyable so far. For example, I was listening to Martin Odoni (a.k.a HStorm)'s S5 E1 one last night & was surprised when he was saying about how Smirkenoff's head wasn't actually part of the puppet-thing that the dungeoneer sat in and was all done seperately on blue-screen etc. I guess that's how they were able to do those close-up head shots then. Also, on one of the S3 ones, Jake ''EyeShield'' Collins made me chuckle when he was wondering who had been teaching that raven thing to talk, due to the rather strange things that he says, such as ''Hello, Sailor!'' & ''Who's a pretty boy then?'' etc. Maybe it was Dale Winton or Christopher Biggins! Lol Jake is good on on his own, but I also like the ones with his sister Rosey, as they are quite amusing at times. Martin, Jake & Rosey are all big fans of the show & it's interesting to hear their thoughts and opinions on various things, so long may these commentaries continue!...

Great news about Mysteria giving the site an updating, as it does need it in some places, as some of the video clips could now be replaced with better quality ones for example. Still, Nicholas Lam did do a great job with this site originally though, as it was one of the first websites I ever visited when I first got the 'net back in 1999!...
HStorm wrote:
DJFairborne77 wrote:If Treguard had ever of had a sex change (like what Holly did in ''Red Dwarf'') between seasons then she would've been perfect to have played the female version!
I have often thought that a female Dungeon Master (Dungeon Mistress?) would be interesting. Dunno if NJR would be that good a choice though, as, for all the similar facial features she has to Hugo, she just doesn't strike me as weird or sinister enough. Although I've never seen her try to play a character that way, so I could well be wrong. Either way, an Anglo-Saxon Dungeon Master with a tough, Govan city-girl accent does sound a little incongruous to me.
I guess they could always do a 'Darth Vader' & have NJR playing the female dungeon master, but get someone else with a more powerful & scary voice to dub-over the dialogue, like what James Earl Jones did to Dave Prowse in the ''Star Wars'' films etc. Maybe NJR would be a bad choice, but who could be a good female dungeon master then? I can't think of any suitable actress at the moment...
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

A woman who's weird and sinister... hmm. Cheryl Crowe?
DarkComet
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by DarkComet »

I need to rectify the fact there is only one commentary I've contributed so far, and a bit roughshod it is too re sound quality-wise. I'm scheduled to do some with Ricky Temple in the New Year, so expect those soonish.
The Dunshelm Players

HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

The final commentaries recorded in 2009 have just been uploaded to kick off the New Year - Jake and Rosey take us through episodes 9 & 10 of season 5. You can download them from the usual site, http://www.kmramdram.co.uk/tvcommentaries.htm .
DJFairborne77
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by DJFairborne77 »

HStorm wrote:That track for season 5 episode 1 that I mentioned above is now available.
Good news, I'll download & listen to it later. It's a shame that you don't plan to do anymore commentaries, as I would like to hear a Series 7 & 8 one, as you haven't done one yet & I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the final 2 series.
HStorm wrote:The final commentaries recorded in 2009 have just been uploaded to kick off the New Year - Jake and Rosey take us through episodes 9 & 10 of season 5. You can download them from the usual site, http://www.kmramdram.co.uk/tvcommentaries.htm .
Excellent news! I always enjoy Jake Collins' commentarties - either by himself or with his sister Rosey. I have to agree with most of his comments about Series 7 & 8 though, especially the final episode of Series 8!...