Knightmare the game

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.
Catacombite
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Knightmare the game

Post by Catacombite »

After having a go at the C64 and Amiga versions of the Knightmare games I came to the conclusion they wasnt very good at all.  Then I got to thinking how great it would be if someone would make a new Knightmare game, I have no idea how the game would work or anything I just think it would be pretty cool.  What you all think. :)
Emii
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Knightmare the game

Post by Emii »

I like playing computer games, but I can't make the buggers. I think I'll make a 3d Knightmare board game. If it works I shall brong it to the RPG. Any thoughts?
"The alarm, Master! The opposition's tracked them! Oh good grief...look - Lord Fear's frozen Christopher!"
Catacombite
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Catacombite »

I'd like something closer to the Tv series than the C64 and Amiga games.  It would have to be somekind of 3D adventure, with the main character (who has a ridiculous helmet on) picking up objects and solving the various puzzles.  You could get help from the 3 observers if needed, this would be some sort of hint system which may or may not be used by the player.  Like the Tv show you will need to pick up the correct objects e.g you're gonna need the shield if you're going to get past the medusa (that thing used to freak me out) room.  Also how about a scenario mode where you could play through some of the more classic adventures from the TV series.  Not forgetting multiple routes through the dungeon (wonder if they ever had this in the tv series). 3 levels per game (or maybe more),a random dungeon generator (this'll increase the games longevity) and a level editor (build your own knightmare adventures).

If you could be bothered to read that, tell me what you think.
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by GrimaldineGrimwold »

If you could be bothered to read that, tell me what you think.
Yes, the ideas you suggest are certainly good, in my opinion. Of course, there are elements you've included which I guess just wouldn't have been feasible back when the original computer games were made. A random dungeon generator would certainly help the game's staying power.

I only had the first of the KM games: the Activision one with the old man in the first room on my beloved old Amstrad CPC 464. (Come back from the attic, CPC, all is forgiven!) To be honest, the game was pretty rubbish. Obviously it was a creature of its time, but there were other 3D adventure/puzzle games of a much higher calibre about even then. And it left out of a lot of the nice KM features like having 3 levels, which could surely have made their way into it. It was a shame really, because it had great potential as a game and Activision certainly produced some darn good games in their time. I remember spending less time actually bothering to complete the game than doing stupid things like stoning the innocent old man. Ho hum.

"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
Catacombite
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Catacombite »

It took me ages to figure out what to do at the start of the game on the C64, all you had to do was give the old man the food and water.
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by GrimaldineGrimwold »

It took me ages to figure out what to do at the start of the game on the C64, all you had to do was give the old man the food and water.
Me too! I think that's what started me off in deciding to repeatedly stone him to death. It became a habit though, even after I'd finished the game.
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
Velda
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Velda »

At the time the Knightmare game came out, I only had a Spectrum 64, so I couldn't buy it. :(  Well, I did have a MegaDrive, but it doesn't count here.

Normo, that's a fantastic idea for a new Knightmare game!  It'd have to be for the PC though - the best format ever!  I'd love to be involved in a dungeoneer's quest, getting to guide them myself and see all the different rooms again.
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by JamesA »

I remember having the Knightmare game for my old C64, and I can remember getting so p****d off at trying to work out what to do that my mates decided that the dungeoneer would be better off breakdancing instead. Then I read somewhere on the wonderful world wide web (it might have been here actually) how to actually complete the game....  ;D

As for the new game ideas that have been proposed, yeah go for it, and let us know how you get on. If anyone remembers when I did something called "The Quest" based on the gamebooks - that was before Homestead went tits up - there are quite various possibilities. I'd do something myself if only I had the time....  ;)
James Aukett
Creator of the Knightmare: 25th Anniversary Documentary
Emii
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Emii »

I had an Amiga which i think is in the loft somewhere and I missed it terribly but can't find it, and I also had a reeeeeally old one which clunked and groaned and played cassettes. Was that a Spectrum?
"The alarm, Master! The opposition's tracked them! Oh good grief...look - Lord Fear's frozen Christopher!"
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by JamesA »

It could have have been either a Spectrum, Amstrad or C64  :)
James Aukett
Creator of the Knightmare: 25th Anniversary Documentary
Yttrium
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Yttrium »

Well, if you have neverwinter nights, you can check out the knightmare-based module that I'm developing for it. Check out the thread on this forum entitled "Knightmare NWN Mod".

Hope this is useful to you; any comments are very welcome ! :D
From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need.
Catacombite
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Catacombite »

As for the new game ideas that have been proposed, yeah go for it, and let us know how you get on.
I would make a knightmare game but i wouldnt know where to start, i have absolutly no programming knowledge or anything like that.
Catacombite
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Catacombite »

having said that, maybe i can make some knightmare based maps for dungeon siege or something like that, those type of games have plenty of dungeon environments.
thrifty_squirrels

round and round the mulberry bush

Post by thrifty_squirrels »

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D BEAN FEAST!!!!!!!!!! AAAAARRRRRRR :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D i want it nowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww honk honk shloop augustus augustus save some room for later! :-X :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
DavidNewton
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by DavidNewton »

I played the Amiga version of Knightmare, I was very disappointed with it - it's like Eye of the Beholder, but with the inspired feature that you lose health if you walk into a wall.

I do have some programming knowledge (if you count using MMFusion as 'real' programming), but a Knightmare game would never really work as the point was that the advisors didn't have direct control over the game - it was about the ability of the dungeoneer to be guided as much as the advisors to guide.
Far beyond the rising sun, I ride the wings of fate... prepared to go where my heart belongs - back to the past again!