Re:What COULD have happened in quests?

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

What COULD have happened in quests?

Post by Fidjit »

This little thought cropped up whilst I was working the other day...

Putting it as basically as I can, I was thinking what would have happened if teams didn't die. For example, "Scott from Aldershot" (Series 3) Died before he could reach Merlin... Now, it had occured to me his life force clock was on critical at this point, so probably, HAD he have summoned Merlin he would have had his life force clock restored.

Does it make sense?

And some rooms that appeared in Level 1 don't appear in Level 2, such as Gavin (Series 3) In the "Lair of the Dreaded Karr," in my point of view this room wouldn't appear in Level Two, and since Cliff (The team after them) didn't visit that room, it later appeared in Level 2, yeah?
If the only way is onward how would you get home for tea?? :-/
TomDread
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by TomDread »

Yeah, this is what could have probably happended for the Series 1 teams if they'd survived:

If David from Team 1 Season 1 had taken the magic lamp they would have revealed the wellway and got to level 2.

Mave from Team 2 would have used the soap to get out of the monster's stomach if they had given lillith the comb.

By casting ANVIL instead of dispelling LANTERN, Simon from Team 3 would have knocked out Gibbit the guard and got into Level 3.

If Danny and co. had gone right instead of left they would have probably got to the level 3 wellway which they would use FLARE to light up a dark room, then would use FREEZE to stop Gibbit attacking them. Finally, since their life force was critical they would have used ENERGY to restore it and then entered level 3.

If Helen had gone right in the corridor of the catacombs they would have cast WELL and got to level 2.

And Team 6, if Richard had taken the horn, he would have blown down the walls of Jericho and Merlin would have appeared and would have given them silver spurs.
Last edited by TomDread on 07 Nov 2007, 19:38, edited 1 time in total.
Eyeshield
Inoperative

Post by Eyeshield »

This is rather fun! I'll do series 2.

If Martin had taken the frogs' legs from the clue table, Mildread would have used them to turn her cauldron into a wellway.

If Claire's team had got one more correct riddle with Cedric, he would have given them an AVAUNT spell to use against the wraith in the clue room.

If Chris had taken the magic shield, Treguard would have directed the advisors to take it in turns to guide the dungeoneer out while he sheltered from Medusa's stare.

If Tony had taken the gauntlet, he could have frozen the catacombite and exited through the correct door.

If Akash had taken the ice pack, Lillith would have created her causeway for him.

If Neil's advisors hadn't been so dumb, they would have cast SHOVEL instead of SPADE, and Cedric would have been knocked out by a large shovel, in very much the same way as the ANVIL spell worked in series 1.

If Stuart had taken the divining rod, a clue as to the correct door (probably a quest symbol) would have been revealed.

If Jamie had... hmm, well, if Jamie had stayed in Leeds, he wouldn't have had a wasted trip! (If he'd picked up those spell pieces, maybe he could have escaped from Ariadne's Lair.)

If Anthony had learned to read and taken the potion, Lillith would have created a causeway and given him Folly's folderol. Anthony would have given Folly his laughter back, which would have somehow allowed him access to level 2.

If Steven had earned Merlin's magic, the team would have been able to light up the wellway room/rescue their life force.
This account is disabled.
My new account is TheOldenDays
Eyeshield
Inoperative

Post by Eyeshield »

Series 3:

If Gavin hadn't stepped in the quicksand, he would have escaped level 1 by giving Mrs Grimwold the bone for Festus, which was a scenario that was pasted into Cliff's quest straight afterwards. (Mrs G would normally appear on level 1 with Golgarach and Velda, but she was put into the other group {Brangwen, Motley, Mellie} for Cliff, probably delaying the appearane of Olaf in the series.)

If Cliff's advisors had dispelled DANCE, McGrew would have accompanied Cliff into the minecart chamber, fought off the haunted sword and then pushed Cliff down the mineshaft in the cart.

If Simon hadn't stepped off that cliff, he would have met Hordriss in person soon after, maybe even in the exact same circumstances as Leo did. (Hence his introductory appearance as a ghost on the wall.)

If Leo had answered the gargoyle's riddle correctly, he probably would have been given a spell with which to discover the correct path in the Stained Glass Window room, in very much the same style as SUN and DARK.

If James's advisors hadn't been so careless with their guiding, he wouldn't have fallen off that path! (He was probably almost at the end of level one, having successfully used both objects.)

If Ross's advisors had told him to stop just a second earlier, he would have reached the end of the path and probably met Owen soon afterwards, who would have had a spell to defeat Morghanna.

If Kelly had taken the crayon, she would either have drawn a wellway on the paper or done a kind of wax rubbing to reveal a WELL spell. (It's not at all clear exactly how this would have worked.)

If Douglas had warned Motley about the snake, maybe he would still have been in with a chance to complete level 1, although he didn't have the gauntlet, which he apparently needed in order to freeze the bomb fuse.

If Scott had stepped instead of jumping, he could have made it across Merlin's pit. (If he'd had one more correct riddle with Golgarach, he would have had the first step... or some people blame Velda for this.)

If Julie had answered Merlin's second riddle correctly, she would have had a spell to defeat the goblins, then she would have been on her way to level 3.

If Martin had answered Owen's riddle correctly, he would have had a spell (such as FIRE) to defeat Morghanna. (If they had not been in losing status when they met Merlin, I suspect Merlin would have told them how to unite the pieces of the Chalice, eg with a UNITAS spell.)
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

Eyeshield wrote: Series 3:
(Mrs G would normally appear on level 1 with Golgarach and Velda, but she was put into the other group {Brangwen, Motley, Mellie} for Cliff, probably delaying the appearane of Olaf in the series.)
So in other words, DOUGLAS wouldn't have met Mrs Grimwold and most likely Olaf? They did take some gold if I remember correctly... Which could indicate they would more than likely have ended up on the cavern and cliff...

Usually, (IF im right) A member of the cast would play only one character per quest, should they play the role of two...

And PLUS, Chris (Last Team) The FLIGHT spell would have been used for the broken bridge like Karen a season before... (Its about the most likely place really)

(Its like solving a mystery isn't it?)
Eyeshield
Inoperative

Post by Eyeshield »

Yeah, Olaf's in the Brangwen/Motley/Mellie group. Would've been fun to see him get a victim in Douglas...
Last edited by Eyeshield on 11 Nov 2007, 22:11, edited 1 time in total.
Eyeshield
Inoperative

Post by Eyeshield »

Here's series 4:

If Helen's lot had cast BUT instead of TRANSFORMATION, Mogdred would have... decided not to kill Helen just yet, but watch her squirm for a little longer. (Best guess!)

If Alistair had made it through the Corridor of Blades, he would have used Malice's HERO spell to defeat Mogdred. It would have summoned... a skull ghost ("It will summon one who is long-dead to your cause.")

If Nicky's advisors had said "hibernation" to Merlin (and the first advisor, Corina, did actually solve the riddle just after Merlin asked it, by saying "it could be something that hibernates") they would have had a spell with which to freeze Ariadne. Maybe it would have been called HIBERNATE - "If ony you'd earned some of Merlin's magic, then you could have made the spider hibernate." - Treguard.

If Simon had been guided through the Block and Tackle by someone who knew left and right, he would have carried on to Ariadne and played the Joker card, at which point Motley would have turned up and seen her off.

If Vicky had actually managed to earn that SPRINT spell, she would not have been prematurely killed off at the B&T, but would have used the spell to escape from Ariadne, in the same style as Alistair and RUN.

If Jeremy had made it through the B&T, he would've had the Joker for Ariadne, but this long-awaited scene had to wait for Giles.

Speaking of Giles, he would have used Merlin's TINY spell to get through that small door we all know from Nicky's and Dickon's quests, probably as the final challenge of his quest.
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

David Verry played as Golgarach and McGrew in series three. Does that usually mean that if he did Golgarachs' role in one quest he wouldn't have to play McGrew? It sounds quite likely since those two quests he did the Bragwen She was the first level clue room monster.

What spells do you reckon/would have liked to see Merlin give Dungeoneers?

Would have liked to have seen a SNEEZE spell on McGrew... Or DIVINE in the five door room of Level 2...
Eyeshield
Inoperative

Post by Eyeshield »

I think it's certainly true that the same actor wouldn't play two different characters during one LEVEL with the same team, but you do get actors playing different characters in different levels during the same quest, even in the earlier series, for example in series 2, Chris met Olaf in level 1 and then the Dwarf in level 2, both characters being played by Tom Karol.

Thinking about series 3, it's certainly true that both dungeoneers who met McGrew also met Brangwen, rather than Golgarach. I'm just trying to think whether there are actually any series 3 quests where one actor did play two different characters. With Ross, there's Brangwen and Morghanna. Similarly, Martin met Velda and Morghanna. (All Natasha Pope, of course.) Those both involve levels 1 and 3.

What about levels 1 and 2? Leo met Mellie on level 1 and listened to the Oracle on level 2, and indeed Martin met Mellie and listened to the Oracle both on level 2! But then perhaps the Oracle doesn't count so much, because you don't really meet it so much as listen to it.

Yes, here's one - Julie had Brangwen on level 1 and then Velda on level 2.
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

Okay so we can count that out. It didn't really take much to make the Oracle I suppose seeing as its only Zoe Loftin's face.

How about rooms?

This one appears in Level Two if not in Level One, Kelly had visited it so she would have ended up in the five door room instead. Same with Cliff as he didn't come across it he met McGrew here...

It also housed the Catacombite in Martins quest and sure enough, never walked into this room in Level One

Also, the two teams who got furthest (ie: Leo and Martin) were the only ones who walked through the Cave of Fire, interesting...

:)
Eyeshield
Inoperative

Post by Eyeshield »

I deviate slightly, but seeing that room has reminded me that it actually appeared 3 times in one episode, each with a different team!

In episode 6 of series 1, Danny is in the room with Folly at the start of the episode, then Helen dies in there when she takes the wrong door out of the Corridor of the Catacombs, and then Richard has to bridge the pit in there. That's got to be a record!

Rooms appearing twice in the same quest - how about Mark in level 3, just before Mogdred's head appears? "Mark, you're in a room, the same..."

Yes, it was the same one he was in at the very start of the level! :o
Last edited by Eyeshield on 13 Nov 2007, 17:41, edited 1 time in total.
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

Eyeshield wrote: I think it's certainly true that the same actor wouldn't play two different characters during one LEVEL with the same team...
That isn't so - not even for Series 3. ;)

Character alternation is an interesting aspect of Series 3. Without exception, Golgarach was clue room guardian in odd-numbered quests, and Brangwen had the even-numbered ones. Mrs. Grimwold was mostly 'odd' but occasionally 'even' (she was in Quest 2, as Team 1 had died before reaching her with their bone, meaning her introductory scene was postponed; she was in Quest 12 instead of 11.) Olaf, Tom Karol's other character, was only in even quests. (I would speculate that Olaf was supposed to have a scene in Quest 11, in which Martin would have bribed him with the bottle; but neither of Tom Karol's characters appeared in that quest, and the bottle went unused.)

I like your theory about alternating rooms, Glenn. I'll look out for it next time I watch Series 3. :)
Knightmare: Kid-worthy, Naasty, Inspiring, Groundbreaking, Humorous, Treguard, Mesmerising, Adult-worthy, Rewarding, Essential.
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by JamesA »

Eyeshield wrote:Speaking of Giles, he would have used Merlin's TINY spell to get through that small door we all know from Nicky's and Dickon's quests, probably as the final challenge of his quest.
I have to disagree on this one. As this was the only spell awarded to Giles' team, I reckon they would have used TINY against Mogdred (in the final confrontation like Helen of Team 1) by shrinking him in order to reach the final chambers of their quest.
James Aukett
Creator of the Knightmare: 25th Anniversary Documentary
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

Drassil wrote: I like your theory about alternating rooms, Glenn. I'll look out for it next time I watch Series 3. :)
At times like this I can really get a good and intelligent topic up and running ;D
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

I really do think that someone of Series 3 would have collected some form of magic to show them the correct path in the Five-Door Room of Level II. A DIVINE spell or REVEAL perhaps?

What magic could Merlin have given them and what for? Like I said DIVINE might have been likely...

Team 1 - Gavin: N/A
Team 2 - Cliff: DANCE
Team 3 - Simon: N/A
Team 4 - Leo: SWORD
Team 5 - James: N/A
Team 6 - Ross: TWIST
Team 7 - Kelly: N/A
Team 8 - Douglas: N/A
Team 9 - Scott: N/A
Team 10 - Julie: No magic! Didn't earn it!
Team 11 - Martin: CURE
Team 12: - Chris: FLIGHT (Unused)
Last edited by Anonymous on 28 Nov 2007, 14:37, edited 1 time in total.