Knightm-Air-Heads

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.

Were there too many idiots in KM?

ar too many, really tiresome
75%
ah, they were half the fun!
25%
here should've been more!
No votes

Total votes: 4

HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Knightm-Air-Heads

Post by HStorm »

This relates to that thread about Character Deterioration from the other day.

I've watched all eight seasons over the last couple of weeks, and the detail that irks me is the amount of stupidity displayed by the dungeon characters. If the dungeon is truly as dangerous as it's always being described, how come so many idiots seem to thrive in it? Look at the list;-

Gumboil, The Giant, Gretel, Olaf, The Trolls (all of them), Mellisandre, Mr Grimwold, Fatilla, Gundrada (pretty much), Sylvester Hands, Sir Hugh, Skarkill, Sidriss, Heggatty, Peggatty, Majida, Rothberry, Raptor, Marta, and Bhal-Shebah.

(I've left Folly and Motley out of the list as their stupidity was entirely professional and for show, but even they fit into the pattern, especially Motley, as dumbed down a lot after season 3.)

Even the likes of Hordriss, Gwendoline, Romanha and Pickle could be fantastically dense in plot-dependent moments, or moments when the show was visibly playing for laughs.

It doesn't seem to my mind that this pattern did the credibility of the dungeon any favours. It's well-recorded by female fans that they don't like the pattern of "if a girl in KM is nice she'll be an idiot", but could it be argued that there are too many dimwits in the series in general? Could the series be accused of resorting to caricature too often?
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.
BrotherStrange
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Re:Knightm-Air-Heads

Post by BrotherStrange »

I do take your points above. On the other hand many of those characters you mentioned, bagged themselves victims-- so they weren't that incomptent ;)
I hadn't realised I'd entered the lunatic asylum! No doubt one day you'll be cured, you poor creature
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

Wellllllllllll... depends how bright their victims were...
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.
BrotherStrange
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by BrotherStrange »

HStorm wrote: Wellllllllllll... depends how bright their victims were...
True enough: With that in mind, Lord Fear hired dim minions because they were cheap, because he could get away with it ;)
I hadn't realised I'd entered the lunatic asylum! No doubt one day you'll be cured, you poor creature