Scary moments

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.
haymansafc
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Re: Scary moments

Post by haymansafc »

Apologies for being late to this thread but I've only just spotted it!

For me, the biggest fear Knightmare kept on giving me was the Spyglass scenes. As a child, I was absolutely terrified of Lord Fear spotting you spying on him. Not just for him staring into the camera - but that 'red eye' thing he used to do. As a child, I used to watch Knightmare in our living room. Whenever a spyglass scene was played, I'd be around the back of the sofa ready for him to do his stare...

I swear on my life I'm not lying about this (I have a very good friend who will back me up on this claim) but I had a genuine fear of looking into a blank television set at night for years. I feared I'd look at the screen and I'd see Lord Fear's face with those red eyes scaring straight back at me, ready to 'get' me. I genuinely couldn't face a television set at night in fear of this. I had to look away or be under the covers.

If Mark Knight ever found out about this he'd probably laugh his head off...! (To a degree I'd like him to know, actually!) That's the big impression he left on me not only during the course of the show, but for several years after it! I'm 29 years old this week - and still to this day I think about this fear I had every once in a while! A fragment of it still survives... :-[

I can't think of any other show which has left such a large impression on me and certainly not the best part of two decades after it finished. Full credit to Mr Knight! I offer my hand to him on that one...!
pjmlfc05 wrote:Also from Series 7 when Nicola walks in a pitch black room, you heard loud footsteps. Then you hear Lord Fear laughing as Nicola perishes. That was a bit freaky!
Oh yes...! I remember that vividly <shudder!>. That was a pretty 'dark' moment in more ways than one! The Goblin Horn was sounding all the time as well as the footsteps. From memory all the hairs on the back of my neck stood up at that moment...
WheresFolly
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by WheresFolly »

For me, I always used to be quite unnerved at seeing Ariadne creep into the fore (particularly during series 4). Still sends shivers down my spine every time... 8-o
"WHAT? ME? SURRENDER? YOU MUST BE ABSOLUTELY OUT OF YOUR TINY MIND!!!!"
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

haymansafc wrote:For me, the biggest fear Knightmare kept on giving me was the Spyglass scenes. As a child, I was absolutely terrified of Lord Fear spotting you spying on him. Not just for him staring into the camera - but that 'red eye' thing he used to do.
Yesss, I found that very scary too! Not to the extent of it developing into a fear of blank screens, but I love that it had that effect on you. ;D
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

I'm not sure exactly where this is, but I think it's in Series 6 about halfway through.

There's a scene with the Dungeoneer in a dwarf tunnel which they're making their way through; as they do, you start to hear footsteps and the soft voice of Skarkill encouraging his goblins to root out the Dungeoneer - you can even hear it getting nearer.

It's not a genuine threat, but it is incredibly creepy... and it certainly ramps up the tension, as every time they turn a corner you're expecting there to be a goblin ready!
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.
Mogdred
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Mogdred »

Any appearance of the Caverwights or Cattacombites.
GlennC81
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by GlennC81 »

In series 6, when the Storm Geist crept up behind Sophia (team 6) in the level 2 dwarf tunnel. I know the advisors seemed startled by it too!

Also when the hobgoblin appeared in level 3 during Martin's quest in Series 3. You never expected it to come originally eh?
WheresFolly
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by WheresFolly »

WheresFolly wrote:For me, I always used to be quite unnerved at seeing Ariadne creep into the fore (particularly during series 4). Still sends shivers down my spine every time... 8-o
Another scary moment came when Martin met his end in series 3. Very eerie moment in which only Morghanna was capable of pulling off.
"WHAT? ME? SURRENDER? YOU MUST BE ABSOLUTELY OUT OF YOUR TINY MIND!!!!"
Billy
Knight
Knight

Post by Billy »

I think a rather underrated one is January's death in Series 6, for quite a few reasons - the fact that Sly Hands, normally a bumbling comedy character actually causes a death, the way everything goes silent when it happens, the original Life Force death animation randomly re-appearing and most of all for how terrified January clearly is to suddenly have a rope flung around her and be tied up. It happens fairly unexpectedly as well, the way everything just suddenly stops and Sly switches to cold-blooded killer - reminding you that while he's not the most efficient of Fear's henchmen, he's still one to be wary of.
Last edited by Billy on 12 May 2014, 20:15, edited 1 time in total.
Gundrada
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Gundrada »

Billy wrote:I think a rather underrated one is January's death in Series 6, for quite a few reasons - the fact that Sly Hands, normally a bumbling comedy character actually causes a death, the way everything goes silent when it happens, the original Life Force death animation randomly re-appearing and most of all for how terrified January clearly is to suddenly have a rope flung around her and be died up. It happens fairly unexpectedly as well, the way everything just suddenly stops and Sly switches to cold-blooded killer - reminding you that while he's not the most efficient of Fear's henchmen, he's still one to be wary of.
Not only sinister, but also not something to be proud of, being outwitted by Sly Hands...
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

Billy wrote:I think a rather underrated one is January's death in Series 6, for quite a few reasons - the fact that Sly Hands, normally a bumbling comedy character actually causes a death, the way everything goes silent when it happens, the original Life Force death animation randomly re-appearing and most of all for how terrified January clearly is to suddenly have a rope flung around her and be tied up. It happens fairly unexpectedly as well, the way everything just suddenly stops and Sly switches to cold-blooded killer - reminding you that while he's not the most efficient of Fear's henchmen, he's still one to be wary of.
Yes it was quite scary seeing January's reaction here. It did show how bad Sly could really be! Most of the time though he messed up!
The only way is onward, there is no turning back.
dogmanjack
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by dogmanjack »

A few chaps mentioned January yesterday. That might've crossed some kind of line. It is a pretty disturbing thing to do to a kid, especially as they can't see!
At least it wasn't as distressing for a teenage girl as being on 70s Top of the Pops, given certain allegations.
But for me the scariest bit was Mark suddenly looking right down the camera. I'm sure one team got killed by forgetting to put down a spyglass. The way Mark would suddenly notice the team spying, it was like a snake suddenly noticing its prey and coiling up to strike.
Gundrada
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Gundrada »

dogmanjack wrote: But for me the scariest bit was Mark suddenly looking right down the camera. I'm sure one team got killed by forgetting to put down a spyglass. The way Mark would suddenly notice the team spying, it was like a snake suddenly noticing its prey and coiling up to strike.
When his eyes glowed red, when he nnoticed the spying, I had to hide behind my hands - eek!
Gretel
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Gretel »

I still scream 'PUT THE FLIPPING THING DOWN TEAM, NOW!' even when I know the team is probably toast.
"you should be able to hear from my voice that I'm terribly pretty, now DO you think I'm pretty?"
Mogdrebowen
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Mogdrebowen »

Has to be Tony's death the music and mogdred made it so scary