The connection between Knightmare and Audio games

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.
dark

The connection between Knightmare and Audio games

Post by dark »

Hello everyone.

I've actually visited this site now for about the last 7 or 8 years, having very much grown up with Knightmare, indeed some of my earliest memories involve getting scared at the appearence of cavern whites, wondering what festus looked or Tregard's famous "ouch! you've damaged your life force team!" then of course later we got Lord fear and Lisard and the nasty card room pit.

One particularly interesting fact about Knightmare for me, is that I am registered blind and my level of sight is probably only slightly better than what the dungeoneers could see through their helmets, (marginally better, I would probably notice a marsh troll or a hob goblin, but only when it got close).

Like I imagine not a few other people on this forum, I have also had a keen interest in computer games. up until the 16 bit era finished I could play a good few titles however when everything went 3D the number of games my level of sight would work in dropped off so since then I've been looking for alternatives, (as well as collecting many games for my snes and mega drive of course). One of these in particular that I find interesting in terms of Knightmare are what are called audio games.

Audio games are unsurprisingly), computer games where all information is represented by sound rather than vision. So for example in an audio space invaders game you hear the invaders on the left or right of the sterrio field and need to center the sound of descending ships in order to destroy them.

Other than accessibility, one of the chief advantages of audio games is a huge leap in atmosphere, since manifestly you can't see! the various monsters or other enemies and thus are reliant entirely upon your imagination, and there have been some truly amazing games in the audio exploration horror or full online multiplayer fps genre that take advantage of this. (for more information go to www.audiogames.net).

The game however that really made me remember Knightmare was the recent release of Papa Sangre 2 on the Iphone from a company called Somethinelse, Go here for their website .

This is their third title, and obviously sequel to the first Papasangre. In the game you are transported to the realm of Papasangre, Mexican God of the dead and must try to collect memories to return to the land of the living. Each level presents a different environment with various memories to capture which you must acquire by walking around a first person arena. Walking involves tapping the left and right bottom corners of the Iphone, (too fast and you trip), and in Papasangre 2 you change direction by physically turning your body.

of course there are lots of monsters to avoid, and even better the game even has something of it's own dungeon master who presents each level, explains monsters and challenges and also carries on the story, ---- people might also be interested to know that in Papasangre 2 this dungeon master is played by Lord Edard Boromir Sharpe, Sean Bean.

As I said playing Papasangre 2 I was strongly reminded of Knightmare, and thought that the Knightmare community might find the experience of the game, and similar ones an interesting one, (I can also recommend Somethinelse other titles, as well as several games for Pc).

Perhaps there might even be a possibility of an audio game set in the dungeons of Knightmare at some point in the future? who knows.

Either way I'm glad to see that people still remember what has to be the greatest and most terrifying game of all time.
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Re: The connection between Knightmare and Audio games

Post by pjmlfc05 »

Hello and welcome to the forum! I was like you, browsing the website for years before joining the forum. Hope you enjoy your time here!

With regards to the games you have been mentioning, especially Papasangre 2, can you get this on an android phone? This sounds like a cool game!

I 100% agree with your last statement too! :)
The only way is onward, there is no turning back.