Where am I?

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.
RoxxAatherton
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Re: Where am I?

Post by RoxxAatherton »

I don't know whether I've mentioned this before on the forum but i've always found the 'where am i?' 'You're in a room/forest' converstions dull. Especially when it's

'Where am I?'

'You're in a room with an exit....'

Ooh! an exit, whoopdedoo! Who would have thought! An Exit! Hurrah! Now I wont have to spend the rest of my life in this room!'

No doubt those of you who have an encyclopoedic knowledge of knightmare will now want to point out the times when there has been a room with no visible means of exit .....

;D
Foxxy Roxxy
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

Well, there was a good explanation of the "Where am I?" thing on NKTP's Ask Andrew:-

Why did the dungeoneer always say "Where am I?" even though it didn't matter to them where they are?

I highly imagine that they were instructed to do so by the production team, as all dungeoneers did this. It was their prompt for a description of their surroundings. Also notice that from series 4 onwards it wasn't said as often, again probably because the advisers by this time described where the dungeoneers were without prompting.

(Courtesy of Ask Andrew)

So there you have it.

And I wish I didn't have to do this, but on a more personal note... Werewolf, personally attacking other members of the forum because of their views on posting is not considered acceptable, and neither is assuming your high post count means you are any better than anybody else, so kindly stop it.
Need I remind people that this is a place for disussing Knightmare... not their own egos.
Last edited by Pooka on 30 Jun 2003, 04:22, edited 1 time in total.
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

I think the whole point of the community is to make sure the Knightmare concept is kept within the posts, where needed. [IE always on here, otherwise use the Gen forum which there is a link on the top of the main forum page]

Fact is, if you post things JUST to get a higher status than others, all you are doing is wasting time and making yourself look like a glory seeker, for lack of a better word.  High post count means....very little.  Also I personally do not take the flaming of others kindly, including people who always have good posts, and valid opinions, like RedMage.

That'll do on that topic, I hope.

Pooka wrote:
Why did the dungeoneer always say "Where am I?" even though it didn't matter to them where they are?

Hmm, valid point!  The dungeoneer is not the one who needs to know where he/she is, only the advisors do.  Maybe that is another question I can put forward to TC, then 'Where they made to ask such questions' :-)
'He's NOT a Dungeoneer, he's a VERY naughty boy!'
Pickle123
Knight
Knight

Post by Pickle123 »

Yeah, i think the "where am i" question was originally used to get teams started off again (after having been the the green room for god knows how long)

i found that teams who were god at communicating with each other i didn't mind the descriptions at all (they usually made me laugh) but for some they did drag on a bit...always good when treguard chivies them on a bit htough ;D

tis part is totally off topic so skip if you only wish to read about KM related stuff...USA is brilliant. weather AMAZING. im in north california right now, about to go to bed. and am going to disney world in a couple of days (gotta get mickys autograph :))

night all. bye.
http://www.petitionpetition.com/cgi/pet ... gi?id=5838

Click it, sign it, tell ya mates...please
MoanaLiza
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by MoanaLiza »

Reminds me of my trip there last year. :D Don't forget to go to the other places though like Universal Studios if you haven't already been there!

Back to the topic though it frustrates me when it's obvious what they need to do and they waste time discribing or deciding something or they tell their dungeoneer to do something like walk forwards and the dundeoneer doesn't do anything such as move at all.
The Forum Moana and chief honey pot carrier!
"Come and take a gander at this bit of ugliness"
Purgatory
Knight
Knight

Post by Purgatory »

Buts its not always obvious to them, and the dungoneer has no clue because he/she can't see.

No point in them rushing around telling the Dungoneer what to do and where to go if they haven't got a clue to whats going on. The need to know where everything is and whats in the room, okay they don't need  to be told how many tiles on the flood and the color of the walls.. but  as i said its to do with how well the advisers discribe it. most of them can't even get their words out.
Also the Dungoneer need to feel their part of the quest than just a chess pice.  

I don't think its the Dungoneers fault if they can't hear the advisers.. most of all speak at once anyway even when others are speaking... its a big mistake on their part..  But i do not like the way they sit their discribing a room when theirs a ghost right on top of u and your life force is being eathing up (hence the room we saw with the huge skull creatuer and the colored floating skull.
My life is an endless purgatory interruped by profound moments of misery
Julius_Scaramonger
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Julius_Scaramonger »

I always got annoyed when advisors would tell the dungeoneers to walk faster when the pre-recorded eye shield stuff was playing, it very obviously wasnt them.
KaM
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by KaM »

I always think a lot of Series 4 was desperate to show off the Eye Shield and the footage they had - one can often tell by the way the camera swings round from side to side unncessarily to capture more of the background. The problems seemed to occur when the Eye Shield became an escape from normal directions. In later series, whilst the eye shield was used sparingly, it was no longer used as a tool for teams to avoid guiding a dungeoneer out of an awkward spot. However, in S4, it was rather bemusing to see a dungeoneer scuttle off at some rather poor angle towards the door, and holding up the Eye Shield miraculously drew them into the right direction. Overrated and overused with its introduction, better in later years.
Knightmarian. alphavillean. Marvellian.