Knightmare Convention 2016/17?

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Re: Knightmare Convention 2016/17?

Post by Drassil »

I wonder if these accounts are a mixture of vivid dreams and false memories (which are more common than people think). Still, it is intriguing to hear about Knightmare events that might have been. If we did not have lively imaginations, we would probably not have been Knightmare fans in the first place.

Knightmare is now in its thirtieth year and plenty of us still want to celebrate it. At Knightmare.com, we certainly have no intention of surrendering. To echo what Alan said, more news will become available as things progress.
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

Tell you what Drass. Pickles would be awesome at doing fanfic :) He (or she?? I don't know :/) certainly has the imagination for the job.

And please know Pickles (can I call you that?? Sounds like it suits you haha ;D) I'm not saying it's all untrue, far from it :)
If the only way is onward how would you get home for tea?? :-/
Picklemyfav
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Picklemyfav »

I will tell you this. I'm still trying to make sense of what happened that day.
I will tell you something else that I remember. Let's see if this makes sense to you?

I remember being on the stage and fighting off a frightknight with a sword. I remember being part of that stage show that was happening at that thing I walked into.

I remember Tim asking me how did you know that Tim was short for Timmy. I remember telling him that I didn't know. That I had guessed it.
He asked if I knew what Timmy was short for and I guessed Timothy. He cracked up at that point. People gasped in shock. I heard them gasp.
So I explained that the only Timothy I had heard of until that point was Timothy the mouse in the Disney movie Dumbo. I asked him if he was named after the mouse [because I had been called names as a kid and understood that not everyone likes their full name being shortened and wanted to reassure him that I thought Timothy is a nice name] and he told me that the mouse was named after him..... that he came before the mouse. I told him that the mouse should be honoured..... doubly honoured.

Does that make sense to you lot?
Well let's hope that Timothy is in a good mood...........I don't want to be yelled at........... It makes me jump out of my skin.
I am a young lady who's brain works differently to most people. I can spot things without trying. If I walk past a clothes rail and one hanger is out of place or wrong way round I will spot it. Others don't. Unless I point it out to them.
I was born with no eyebrows, no eyelashes and no fingernails. I didn't need any oxygen or help to breathe as a baby.
I saved Pickle number two's life that day with Pickle number one's help. The main reason that Pickle reminded me of Ervan was because the clothes and colour of the clothes were similar. Even then I could tell Pickle was friendlier.
I met people that day and done things that day which I am only just starting to recognize on the show. I remember the dragon and I touched him and petted him. I rode him. I was gentle to him. He liked it when I petted him. Rhark the goblin liked it too when I petted him. I only just remembered that the goblin told me his name was Rhark.

I might be good at fan fiction. I'm normally quite good at working out what is a dream and what is real.
What do you guys think of my strange but its what I remember tale about guessing Tim's full first name?

Did people get blindfolded before having the helmet put on them while playing the game? Just that I remember being blindfolded before the helmet was put on when I played the game. I remember tripping on something then finding out that I had fallen off the challenge. It was a spinning wheel like thing spinning very fast and it was very hard to walk on. I tripped when I tried to step onto the platform off of the spinning thing.
On my second chance I answered a question correctly that I wasn't supposed to know the answer to. That's what the people there told me at the time. I mean you can't help it if you get asked a question that you happen to know the answer to........ Can you? Really!

You can call me Pickles. I don't mind.
Cedric kneed down close to my helmet so i could see him and told me.
"You're not witless. You're just nice. Too nice really for your own good. That's your main problem."
Picklemyfav
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Picklemyfav »

Sorry Tim for telling them your full first name and the story of how I found it out.
They are the first people I have told that story to. You see I have kept that true and strange story quiet for years.
I am not quite sure when we met. I know it was before 2010 so have worked out a possible year based on family stuff happening around then but I could be out by two years or more years either side.
Hope you're not too hopping mad at me telling them your full first name.
Named a wee toy dragon creature after you that I got after being at the funfair a few weeks ago.
Still don't know what I walked into that day. Will we ever find out what happened and where I was?
Whatever it was..... It was awesome.... That whole day.... Even the scary bit of the man becoming ill and having to save his life by remembering what I had been told to do. The getting help bit was a bit scary. Bit embarrassing crying like a new born baby afterwards but that was just a bit of shock. Just adrenaline leaving the system. I was alright when I found out that he was ok now.
Thank you for letting me have that whole experience that day. That was one of the best experiences I have had so far. And I have had quite a few of them so far.
I told them at college about saving the guy's life and they couldn't believe it either. I didn't tell them everything. Just the bits they needed to know. I left out a few things. They wouldn't have understood about the dragon.
Hope you are ok with people knowing your full name now.
"You're not witless. You're just nice. Too nice really for your own good. That's your main problem."
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

Picklemyfav wrote:Did people get blindfolded before having the helmet put on them while playing the game?
Nope; remember, the dungeoneers were still able to see objects directly beneath them!
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

Pooka wrote:
Picklemyfav wrote:Did people get blindfolded before having the helmet put on them while playing the game?
Nope; remember, the dungeoneers were still able to see objects directly beneath them!
Yup, as Pooka said, thats the standard gameplay. It's how dungeoneers were able to see food/objects that were slightly further away from their feet than usual. I used the helmets myself, and believe me, there is a fair amount of vision. Although the visor helmet was a bit more restricted, there was surprisingly a good deal of floor vision too.

Though I could have sworn Tim say that he did blindfold the dungeoneers. But only when they were trying to tilt their heads back too far to gain an advantage...

And thanks Pickles :) it's short and sweet. Picklemyfav is alright but a bit of a long winded process :) so I thought I'd come up with a fun and short alternative should anyone want to use it.
Picklemyfav
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Picklemyfav »

Fidjit wrote:
Pooka wrote:
Yup, as Pooka said, thats the standard gameplay. It's how dungeoneers were able to see food/objects that were slightly further away from their feet than usual. I used the helmets myself, and believe me, there is a fair amount of vision. Although the visor helmet was a bit more restricted, there was surprisingly a good deal of floor vision too.

Though I could have sworn Tim say that he did blindfold the dungeoneers. But only when they were trying to tilt their heads back too far to gain an advantage...

And thanks Pickles :) it's short and sweet. Picklemyfav is alright but a bit of a long winded process :) so I thought I'd come up with a fun and short alternative should anyone want to use it.
The reason I was asking is that I remember something strange happening at the convention thing that I walked into. I remember being able to see in front of me when they first put the helmet on. I could also see the floor beneath me. I told them that it fitted like a glove and was a perfect fit. As I could see very well through the two pin holes in the helmet. One of the workers there told me to stick my hands in front of me and asked if I could see my hands in front of my face. I told them that I could see my hands in front of me and one of the workers pulled the helmet off and told me you can see too much and we need to blindfold you or words to that extent. Next thing a see through black cloth scarf is tied around my eyes and I find that I was only able to see underneath my nose. Sadly at one point the scarf falls down stopping me from seeing anything. They had to change the helmet to one that was slightly larger as it got harder to quest with no eyesight at all. I can remember at the end of one of my games getting my picture taken and I held a trophy as my picture was taken as my team won. I think they thought the helmet was too wee for me at the time.
I remember that Tim wasn't in charge that day. That Treguard number 2 was. I'm not sure what it was that I walked into. I'm using the word convention in an attempt to explain what it was like in set up and layout. I can't think of a better word to describe it. I really did walk into something that day and had an amazing day.
The first forum I was talking about was the one that I seen by chance while in college and tried to get into it. I had to answer two questions right as part of the getting in part. I guessed one of the answers right but couldn't get the other one right. I couldn't get in because I couldn't get one of the answers. The college teacher thought that the forum I'd found was just for the fans. I don't remember if I found it again. It didn't look that big but then I couldn't get in so I don't know for sure.
Is Tim ok with people knowing his full first name now because he wasn't at the time that I guessed it. I told him my middle name and asked him if he had one. I think he said to me that he didn't but you could check that for me as i might have misheard him.
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

It seems to me this was an unofficial fan based idea that happened Pickles.

I'm not an expert when it comes to conventions but I remember when the idea behind a Knightmare Convention was first spoken of on here.

What you said about the helmet you "donned" sounds a bit farfetched too. Pinholes in the helmet?? What in the visor?? That completely defeats the point behind the helmets purpose. And strapping a blindfold on you because you can see through the holes?? That doesn't quite make sense to me either :/ Punishing you for using an aid that was given to you ;D
Picklemyfav
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Picklemyfav »

It doesn't make sense to me either and I'm the one it happened to. ;D

Also I have [as my dad calls it] eyes like a hawk and eagle eyes as I can spot things from far away. My eyesight is normal just that I can spot details quicker than most people can. Its part of the way my brain works.

On a funny note I looked up who does Knightmare Live and the two people that guided me during the game were there on the website....SHOCKED GASP FROM EVERYONE..... Yeah I was shocked too.
The dark haired man from my team and the black haired elf lady with glasses that I remember.
So what do you think of that folks. Do you think that's a bit weird or what?
Do you think I met the stars of Knightmare Live before Knightmare Live happened?
Also did Paul Flannery used to have long blond/blondish hair when he was younger? Just asking?
Just that my Treguard number 2 had long blond hair.
Is my Pickle number two that I remember one of the ones that do Knightmare Live? Hope he's ok!

Maybe they didn't realise back then that people wanted to play the game for real. Maybe that's why they cracked up when I kept knowing the answers.
Picklemyfav
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Picklemyfav »

I remember the David Sneddon song stop living the lie playing at the convention and singing the song think twice to tim I remember the audience joining in at bits. You should have seen Tim's face that day. ;D

I remember what happened just before Pickle number two felt ill.
I remember this blond haired elf lady not paying any attention to Pickle number two and looking at her phone. she then got up and asked me if I wanted anything from the shops. I noticed she was nodding her head at me while asking. I shook my head and said no thanks/no thank you because she reminded me of a silly girl at school who used to bully me and tried to get me to take some nasty smelly sweets that I said no to and which turned out to be drugs. The blond haired elf lady looked annoyed but i'm not sure of the face she pulled I am not good at reading faces then left to go the shops. She never came back.
Pickle then told me that he felt unwell so I asked him if the breathing he had to do was the same kind as a woman in labour does. When I realised that was the case I decided to role play labour on him. I helped him to breathe and the pain got worse so I helped him get onto the floor onto his back and helped him bend his knees. I helped him to keep breathing and kept asking him how he was doing. the pain got worse and I realised that he was in trouble. that's when I knew I had to call for help. I remember calling help. Spellcasting help. I called for Treguard number 2 I shouted for Pickle in the hope that by breaking the word link they would think why is she just shouting Pickle and not asking for Pickle number 1 or 2. Things got scary during that half an hour as Pickle number two said well that's it then and closed his eyes. I had to slap his face to keep him awake. Later on before help came he muttered something. I asked him what he said and he said I love you. I told him I love you too your my best buddy/pal and noticed his eyelids moving. I told him don't you dare die on me Pickle and had to slap his face to wake him up again. It took a bit longer to wake him that time.
I remember shouting Timmy and Pickle number 1 turned up about to tell me off for yelling Timmy. One look was all it took to prove the need for shouting Timmy. I told Pickle number 1 what was happening and got him to give Treguard number 2 some leather and the only leather to hand was the knapsack. That's why Pickle number 1 hit Treguard number 2 with the knapsack. Then help finally came and I told them that he needs special medicine. The elf lady told Treguard number 2 that he's never been as bad as this before.
After they rushed Pickle number 2 to the other backstage area behind the stage. I cried as I was in shock and didn't know if he would be ok. I remember sobbing on Pickle number 1 and I soaked his top with my tears.
I was so relieved when I learned that Pickle number two was ok.
As the people left I heard one of them while leaving say that was the best convention ever. Another person said I knew it was a set up no one gets in here without a pass. I wanted to tell her if only you knew.
As that blond haired elf lady. She left that day [for good I found out later] after Treguard number two gave her leather for what happened to Pickle number two. She told him "He was alright when I left him on his own before". Turned out she was the one who had left him on his own. 8-o Earlier that day I had found Pickle number two wandering about on his own and had told Treguard number two that I had found him on his own.
Picklemyfav
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Picklemyfav »

It was awesome that day....... Hope we have another one soon...... Save two tickets for me and dad joe...... That way we know we have a couple of reserved tickets set aside for us........in case joe forgets or you run out of them.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

I have spent a while looking into this, and I am sorry to say that I don't think it can have happened or at least if it did, people must have been misrepresenting themselves to you.

I've enquired with the people you've mentioned and nobody is aware of the event. Hugo Myatt and Paul Flannery have, at least to their knowledge, never been to Ayrshire and David Learner hasn't been officially involved in anything Knightmare related since his departure.

Additionally nobody knows of any stage show since Knightmare Live begain in 2013. Indeed, such rights were never granted prior to Knightmare Live.

Furthermore, the only convention like event that Tim knows of was the convention in 2014. At the time he even said it was the first event of its kind.

I can't find any record of the event online. It also seems odd to me that such an event would go past unnoticed by any of us. Some people in the community even lived in Ayrshire during the years in question. That such an event (with official cast/crew) would have happened without our knowledge is very unlikely. We even receive emails about Knightmare-themed children's parties that happen.

Sorry to burst your bubble. But there are so many aspects of your story that don't appear to be correct, I can only conclude you've misremembered something similar or else been deceived.
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by JamesA »

Mystara wrote:David Learner hasn't been officially involved in anything Knightmare related since his departure.
*cough* 25th Anniversary Documentary *cough*
James Aukett
Creator of the Knightmare: 25th Anniversary Documentary
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

Mmmmmm. Not really what I meant by officially involved though. For the same reason we discounted debz's interviews from years back.

It's not like it wouldn't have gone agead without him, after all.