David Rowe's Art of Knightmare

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Re: Art of Knightmare

Post by Drassil »

My point was the opposite: that based on the production note David Rowe shared in his book, the Way Out is less likely to have been a red herring than perhaps we previously thought. And if the team had made use of it and found it to be a short cut, it could have changed the course of Knightmare history. I do think the team were sensible not to take the risk. Then again, they had a blessed journey through Level 2 so they may have been just as lucky if they had jumped to Level 3.
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

Canadanne wrote:I wonder why the caverns in Series 3 are called 'Death Valley 2'. What was Death Valley 1?
Drassil suggested in one of his Lexicon entries: "Since the multi-view cavern range in Level 2 of Series 3 was known as 'Death Valley 2', one might speculate that the Vale of Banburn was Death Valley 1." David Rowe has now uploaded a couple of the Vale of Banburn sketches to his website, and their filenames refer to it as Death Valley, so I think this theory is correct!
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

Drassil wrote:
Canadanne wrote:~ On the diagram showing a quest through Level 1, it's intriguing that the Granitas clue room has an attached option reading "DEAD | BIG FOOT". Are we to understand that failing all three riddles would result in a giant's foot squashing them or something?
Either that or an attack by the Spanish Inquisition, which nobody would expect.
Sorry to drag this up two years later, but I've been thinking about this concept.

If there was an animation produced for a wall monster death, then a giant foot would have been cool, but perhaps not appropriate for being eaten by a wall monster.

Personally, I'm with Alex Smith, who put the following response to one of his "Ask Alex" questions on NKTP:
Alex wrote:My guess would be that the wall monster would say something implying the dungeoneer was going to die and the dying moments of the life force would be shoved in front of the room.
Given most of the deaths in the first couple of series, I'd agree.

However, given the free pass Akash was let off with, I'm fairly certain the production team wouldn't have ever allowed a wall monster death to occur. It's not good TV to have a team killed off in the second or third room - it's more fun to let Lillith do it a couple of rooms later!

So, if there was an animation, I doubt they'd have ever intended to use it!
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Re: Art of Knightmare competition

Post by wombstar »

Also in series 1 and 2 there was a big food behind a row of doors which the team had to avoid, sometimes they just needed a key. So many Big Foot refers to that room?
It's always the cracked ones that let the light in
Picklemyfav
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Picklemyfav »

talking of wall monsters......... I think the tongue would have come out of the wall monster's mouth and grabbed the dungeoneer then you would have heard a gulp as the skull with the rolling eyes appears then you see the eyes roll away.............

the reason I think that is I had a funny dream once in which that really happened to one of the teams in knightmare................... it was funny......... the dungeoneer had the right answer all three times but the team told the dungeoneer the wrong answers which were so stupid and wrong........ so the poor dungeoneer got them all wrong........ the tongue came out of the wall monster's mouth and grabbed the dungeoneer then we heard a gulp as the skull with the rolling eyes appears...... then I saw the eyes roll away........ then Treguard stood up and told the team.......... what a pity you didn't get any right team........... its a pity you didn't listen to your dungeoneer who knew the right answers.......... well I wonder if you know what's coming team..... Spellcasting......D.I.S.M.I.S.S.

I wish I could have shown you this........ instead of telling you.......... as it was very very funny......... I woke up laughing.............
Cedric kneed down close to my helmet so i could see him and told me.
"You're not witless. You're just nice. Too nice really for your own good. That's your main problem."
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

Picklemyfav wrote: 10 Feb 2017, 18:10I think the tongue would have come out of the wall monster's mouth and grabbed the dungeoneer then you would have heard a gulp as the skull with the rolling eyes appears then you see the eyes roll away...

This has some similarities with the death of Chris in series 5, eaten by a blocker (while still in the form of a goblin) in a more dramatic manner - rushing forward and swallowing him whole. There was even a 'gulp' sound effect, immediately preceding the death chime sound!
Picklemyfav
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Picklemyfav »

yeah it is a bit like chris's death pooka............ weirdly I had that dream just before watching series 5...........
Cedric kneed down close to my helmet so i could see him and told me.
"You're not witless. You're just nice. Too nice really for your own good. That's your main problem."
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Re: David Rowe's Art of Knightmare

Post by Drassil »

Also in series 1 and 2 there was a big food behind a row of doors which the team had to avoid, sometimes they just needed a key. So many Big Foot refers to that room?
The moving foot appeared only in Series 3, in the second and fourth quests (Cliff and Leo). Even if it had been recorded for Series 1 and 2, I don't know how easy it would have been to use that footage (no pun intended) in the foreground or midground of the clue room. Perhaps the effect would have been closer to the boot that Barry used against Raptor.

It's also possible that 'BIG FOOT' was shorthand for a yeti-like cavernwight, though this seems unlikely.

I wonder who played the moving foot. I also wonder what Treguard would have said in response to death by Big Foot:

"Ooh nasty. Your dungeoneer appears to be downtrodden."

"Oh dear. What pity. Never mind. If only all the little piggies had stayed at home then your dungeoneer would still be with us."

*Bong* "I'm afraid that wasn't The Liberty Bell, team."
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

Drassil wrote: 19 Feb 2017, 11:07*Bong* "I'm afraid that wasn't The Liberty Bell, team."
I, er... I don't get it.
KaM
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by KaM »

Neither did the dragon. He wasn't 65.

Rofl, etc.
Mashibinbin
Staff
Staff

Post by Mashibinbin »

I see your rofl and I raise you a pmsl. The Spanish Inquisition might be behind this one...
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

Mashibinbin wrote: 22 Feb 2017, 17:53The Spanish Inquisition might be behind this one...
...which, of course, nobody would expect.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

This thread has come off-topic.
Morghanna
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Morghanna »

Recently my amazing partner :-* bought "The Art Of Knightmare" for me as one of my birthday presents.
It is a beautiful and informative book. The artwork looks as awesome as ever.
Some familiar names in the role of honour as well....
"I think it's about time you got wise to the ways of real magic. The kind that is borne on the dark side." >:D