Knightmare 25th Anniversary Documentary

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Re: 2012: Knightmare's 25th Anniversary

Post by pjmlfc05 »

Yes!! Thanks James.
The only way is onward, there is no turning back.
SpectralScorpion
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by SpectralScorpion »

Absolutely excellent James, well worth the wait. :D
SpectralScorpion (n) - One who is forever condemned to eat his words by his own brash arrogance. XD
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

JamesA wrote:I am very pleased to announce that....

THE KNIGHTMARE 25TH ANNIVERSARY DOCUMENTARY IS FINALLY HERE.

http://youtu.be/hg9komiRNVw
It's like the DVD extra I've often dreamed of but never thought we'd get! The best thing I've seen since I got here. Never mind the silver spurs of squiredom - they should dub thee Sir James for services to Knightmare fandom!

My favourite bits...

I love that Tim said he misses the characters. (So do we!) How I wish he had felt inclined to write more books about them, or at least tell us a bit more about the world he dreamed up. So many fascinating hints of backstory that were never fleshed out. (That's one thing I would love to ask him about someday - how much thought he gave towards the characters' backgrounds and so on. Did he have a history in mind for them all, or was he just making stuff up as he went along?)

I had no idea how terrifying Hugo found the whole experience. *g* (When he's talking about that and he goes all wide-eyed, it looks exactly like he's been spell-trapped by Mildread or Mogdred again!)

Edmund Dehn going through the different scenarios for Gumboil is a lot of fun, especially the gleeful way he says "You get to kill them!" and the hint of disappointment that he never actually did. ;)

Never knew Hugo was slightly jealous of Mark Knight for getting to play such a cool character, hahaha! Probably got sick of Treguard being pwned by Lord Fear. :) When he said that the kids' unpredictability was the scariest thing, it reminded me of Fear's line about adolescent humanity in the intro to Series 7!

Very cool to see the cast members all discussing and praising each other's performances.

The good folks at Challenge will be chuffed to get a namecheck from Alec Westwood, I expect! (Has anyone sent them a link to this?)

Cliff Barry's amusement at the requests for pics of Lissard made me giggle.

Nice to see another cast member (Bill Cashmore this time) acknowledge that the bluescreen and everything was part of the show's charm, and that it just wouldn't be the same if you tried to make it with today's technology!

Tim Child: "Keep the parodies coming!"

And the best part of the whole thing - hearing the actors do their catchphrases again! :D :D :D That was a delightful surprise. I love all of these guys so much for taking part! Thanks a million to everyone involved!

tl;dr - simply made of awesome :D
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

25th Anniversary Documentary

Post by Drassil »

Thank you, James. A towering anniversary achievement that puts the silver into silver spurs of squiredom, and surely a momentous personal achievement for you too. Its great strength, in my opinion, is that the participants literally speak for themselves. I like the fact that it was filmed in every country from which a Knightmare contestant ever hailed. Also, I'd say you were quite resourceful in covering the area of the screen where a TV logo may or may not have been. :)

With respect to your female interviewee, I can't help noticing that her name as given in the documentary sounds like an unfortunate demise in the Trial by Spikes. ;)

I really think that the documentary should be a banner headline on Knightmare.com, and I hope that its webmaster and publisher concur. (I don't believe that the featured content in the news fader has been updated since 2010.)

And with regard to the end credits: you're especially welcome.
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by JamesA »

Thanks everyone for all the positive comments. Very reassuring to know that the response so far has been generally overwhelming!

I would like to make tomorrow evening's KM Chat a 25th anniversary special (especially seeing as it was down on the actual weekend of the anniversary) and I will around from 8pm to answer any feedback and/or questions regarding the documentary. It's short notice I understand, but I am otherwise busy over the rest of December!

Would love to see you all there if you can make it.
James Aukett
Creator of the Knightmare: 25th Anniversary Documentary
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

That sounds good, are you going to mention it on Facebook tomorrow?
Insider
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Insider »

What a fantastic watch, thanks James. Huge kudos for tracking down so many of the cast members for this project.
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

Great work, James.

A real fan's documentary, this: loads of insider information and a wealth of old actors and others tracked down. I especially liked the fact that they can all do their old voices too!

Good to see Rea as well - how'd you get her?
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

2013: Knightmare's 26th Anniversary

Post by JamesA »

I've known Rea for a few years now so it was good to know that she was willing and supportive with regards to the documentary.

On another note, 2012 may be over (hence my slight title change for this posting), yet 2013 sees the 5th anniversay of the Knightmare Facebook Page (which was actually started five years ago yesterday).

At the moment it feels that Knightmare is definitely riding on the crest of a wave - as has been mentioned elsewhere recently, right now is a very exciting time to be a Knightmare fan. As well as the short feature on the "30 Years of CITV" special, we of course have the two Series 7 repeats to look forward to this weekend. And it seems that are other KM-themed projects beggining to surface too, so let's keep our fingers crossed that something comes out of those!

I also have various clips and cuttings left over from the 25th Anniversary celebrations which I'll hopefully release later on this year, to keep the KM fires burning.

The words that strike me most when writing this is Tom Karol's words in the documentary: "Due for a revival maybe?" So far his question is most certainly being proved right.
James Aukett
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: 2013: Knightmare's 26th Anniversary

Post by Canadanne »

JamesA wrote:I also have various clips and cuttings left over from the 25th Anniversary celebrations which I'll hopefully release later on this year, to keep the KM fires burning.
:D :D :D :D :D

Just when I thought Christmas had been and gone!
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

Did my email last month go through in the end, James? I had to try sending it from a different address as it kept bouncing for some reason.
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by JamesA »

I have got the e-mail and attachment, thanks Annie. I've got a backlog of other stuff to get through at the moment, but it will get done eventually.
James Aukett
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

Oh good - just wanted to make sure it worked!
HobGoblin
Staff
Staff

Post by HobGoblin »

Apologies if this has already been discussed somewhere, but why isn't the documentary linked on the homepage? Surely it should be part of the featured articles banner (with the KM pilot etc.)...

Also, James - I covet your KM t-shirt. Did you make this yourself?
Extreme warning team, a Hobgoblin in the level!
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

It's been knocked off the front page by more recent news.

It is, however, available under the "Commentary" section.

Yes, it probably should be a featured article, together with the news that Challenge are re-showing Knightmare. Unfortunately, nobody has had the time to create suitable images to allow such news to become "featured articles".