Self-contained levels

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.
JoeGrocottJames
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Self-contained levels

Post by JoeGrocottJames »

It is mentioned in the History of Knightmare that the levels were self-contained? From what series would this apply from? Because in series 3, the 'step' clues used at Merlin's Throne Room in level 2 were earned in both levels 1 and 2. Also, in series 4, at the start of level 1, the team were set a task to find something which would be found at the start of level 3 (and here, they would get the Eye Shield).
Thanatos
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Re: Self-contained levels

Post by Thanatos »

Since Merlin's chamber was a feature of every quest, its assumption in Level One didn't matter. I'm not sure about the Eye Shield thing, though.
"The Tory Party is the cream of society: rich, thick and full of clots." - anonymous
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

The whole 'doing a favour for someone' thing in series 4 is much the same principal as the steps because it was also a feature of every quest. Every team would, of course, get the Eye Shield! I think it was a device to ensure that the team would get a spell of some sort to use in the Final Conflict.
Subject to change.
JoeGrocottJames
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

The whole 'doing a favour for someone' thing in series 4 is much the same principal as the steps because it was also a feature of every quest. Every team would, of course, get the Eye Shield! I think it was a device to ensure that the team would get a spell of some sort to use in the Final Conflict.
But surely the idea of the self-contained levels is that any level 1 can be used with any level 3. However, the item mentioned in level 1 (not the main quest item, the item that the character gets given the Eye Shield for agreeing to help) has to be there in level 3, so this changes things.
Dan
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Dan »

Yeah, but it's just the name of the item.  That's a pretty trivial thing to substitute in, and it's there in the room - not much difficult to say "ah, you have found my key" or "ah, you have found my gem" or "ah, you have found my bracelet".
JoeGrocottJames
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Yeah, but it's just the name of the item.  That's a pretty trivial thing to substitute in, and it's there in the room - not much difficult to say "ah, you have found my key" or "ah, you have found my gem" or "ah, you have found my bracelet".
Agreed, except in the case of Dickon's quest, where he had to convince Brother Mace to drink a bottle of brandy, which happened in level 2. This would be more difficult to resolve if these levels were 'moved about'.