Knightmare Stereotypes

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Knightmare Stereotypes

Post by HStorm »

Which character do you think was the worst stereotype used in Knightmare? It can be a national stereotype, like Olaf, or a literary cliche, like Mogdred's bad-guy dialogue.
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Knightmare Stereotypes

Post by HStorm »

I might as well start seeing I suggested this string.

I'd say McGrew as a hairy Highlander.
Elita
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Elita »

Well, every time I hear McGrew's accent, I want to chew off my own hand in disgust...
"Gentlemen! Please! You can fight like itsy bitsy babies later. Right now we have adult name-calling and mud-slinging to attend to."
- Dr. Nightmare, Attorney at Law
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

Mind you, has anyone else noticed how much McGrew looks like John Rhys-Davies? And I've never seen McGrew and Professor Arturo in the same room...
Emii
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Emii »

Marta was a kinda stereotypical dungeon-wench, with the old accent and the blondeness and the bosoms...
"The alarm, Master! The opposition's tracked them! Oh good grief...look - Lord Fear's frozen Christopher!"
Emii
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Emii »

Come to think of it, there were some pretty strong male/female stereotypes in there. Female-wise all the Powers That Be ladies were young, beautiful and dumb as two short planks (Marta, Gretel, Mellisandre), whilst any ladies that were potential danger were evil, cunning and usually not very nice to look at (Aesandre, witches, etc).
The ones that were inbetween were always incredibly confused:
Velda - paranoid elf with asthma
Gundrada - warrior man-beast
Stiletta - warrior man-beast
Mrs Grimwold - gender issues
Elita - pain in the bum

Any more for any more?
"The alarm, Master! The opposition's tracked them! Oh good grief...look - Lord Fear's frozen Christopher!"
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

Interesting topic.  :)

I wonder, if I go to the back of my wardrobe, will I end up in Winteria talking to Aesandre?  ;) Nice name, unoriginal character.

Ariadne is just such a stereotypical spider. Spinning webs, scuttling around on eight legs, attacking smaller creatures - Arachnid Rights groups must have been up in arms. (Perhaps Mary Whitehouse lent them the arms.)

Ah-Wok, I think, is extreme; I always felt uncomfortable watching him, especially when his pronunciation of 'l's as 'r's actually became part of the puzzle. Although, thinking back to the Dungeoneer who asked Ah-Wok if he was from the East, perhaps not everyone saw him as an excessive stereotype.

I suppose it was sensible to have Merlin himself as the main 'good' wizard, rather than creating a diluted 'Merlinesque' character with a different name. Archetype rather than stereotype, you could say.

Sir Hugh de Wittless, seemed a bit stereotypical, but having his bluff gallantry as the result of a curse by Hordriss, added a nice twist to the character.

As for dragons... although Smirkenorff was a fantastic innovation on Knightmare, I felt that Owen the dragon was less stereotypical.

Hordriss seemed a very original character - perhaps that's why he lasted longer than any of the others.
Knightmare: Kid-worthy, Naasty, Inspiring, Groundbreaking, Humorous, Treguard, Mesmerising, Adult-worthy, Rewarding, Essential.
Emii
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Emii »

Lord Fear was kind of stereotypical, except that he sort of overrode the whole "I look scary and just in case you forget I'm scary my name is FEAR" thing with the humour and attitude :D
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

By your own words, Emii, you're describing a non-stereotype. Stereotypes are usually one-dimensional, and as you say, Fear had a fantastically relaxed sense of humour, which stands in contrast to his arrogance and greed, while still resting well alongside them.
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

Good point about Ah Wok, Drassil. I wouldn't say he was offensive outright, but he was certainly a bit of a cheap number.
Emii
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Emii »

Sly Hands with his stupid raggety bad person act...

...have we had that?
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

Wouldn't say Hands was a stereotype especially, just a cartoon figure. All right, some people would say that "cartoon figure" is just another term for stereotype, but there you are.
Emii
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Emii »

I've confused myself. I think I'll go shopping.
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

The healthy substitute for... er, chocolate. >Ahem<  :-[  Moving swiftly on.
Emii
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Emii »

*grins*