Series 3 - Episode 5

ross
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Re: Leo's Quest

Post by ross »

Do you actually watch Knightmare to enjoy the quests or to spot what was wrong with the show.  

As for Leos dancing, I mean come on if he had died then simply because the step had not appeared after he had already performed the action it would have been the most unfair death in the history of knightmare.  Yes Scotts team suffered their death there, but that was because they had missed the first step in the level 1 clue room, and were forced to jump.  They were unlucky, but they did go off.  

You seem to have nitpicked on everything, and I hate people who do that.  

They did indeed use the sword spell to see off Hordriss but after he had left the sword was about to turn on them, and they dispelled very quickly.  

I didn't notice that they had spelled it wrong I am not saying they didn't just that I didn't notice it.  

I am not sure on the rules of dispelling if other people have used the same spell but again they had to use it, and I was impressed that they did it again fairly quickly.  I did think you had used the word backwards for example sword would be drows, tub fi I saw yllaer ni a dab doom I dluow llac uoy a reknaw, on ton yllaer I ma tsuj gnikoj, taht koot a gnol emit ot krow tuo woh ot lleps eht sdrow sdrawkcab, dna I redisnoc flesym ot eb etiuq a doog relleps, od uoy teg ym tniop?  
RoxxAatherton
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by RoxxAatherton »

I get it loud and clear Ross! hehe

That's rather amazing, all the backwards spelling you did there, what's perhaps more amazing is that I managed to figure it out! hehe

Does anybody here know the proper way to dispell stuff then? I'm assuming Kawaii does, considering she knows the wrong way to do it! hehe

;D
Foxxy Roxxy
Brangwen
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Brangwen »

Perhaps they just have to spell the word in any order but the right one to dispel it?
MoanaLiza
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by MoanaLiza »

Yes as annagrams of the word, i.e. sword (e.g. wrdos), which could also include the word backwards (drows).

Back to Leo's quest. I hate watching the end of it anytime and always hope to miss it when it's shown. That is one of my least favourite deaths, but I am not sure why though. I managed to miss that part today which I'm not too dissappointed about.
The Forum Moana and chief honey pot carrier!
"Come and take a gander at this bit of ugliness"
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

My theory is that the team learnt the name of the spell that created a sword and dispelled it. Therefore, this was information that they could use later on - correctly guessing that other characters would use the same spell.

I would say that it was a practise that was soon after banned, though. :)

I really like the play-on-words involved. Spells are literally spelt out and dispelling is dis-spelling! Very clever. :)
Subject to change.
Thanatos
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Thanatos »

I've seen a Series 1 clip in which Treguard first introduced spellcasting, and he said that to dispel the caster had to spell the letters "in the wrong order". In the later series either this rule changed to spelling it backwards or this simply became a trend that all dungeoneers followed.
"The Tory Party is the cream of society: rich, thick and full of clots." - anonymous
Melisandrinoff
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Melisandrinoff »

Aww, I thought it was such a shame when he fell off the cliff today, I liked him and his group - they really seemed to know what was going on, and knew the sets quite well too :-D It does irritate me a bit when teams seem completely clueless as to what to do - I mean, surely they *watch* the show, right?! ;-) I miss Pickle though, I only caught a couple of ones with him in (this time around ;-)) - I hope challenge will reshow series 4 soon.  Anyway, I was hoping Leo would win :-D because they did so well early on - and I didn't have a clue as to what the Gargoyle's answer was either, so I can sympathise with them ;-)
"You're in a room..." ;)
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

Hello there!

I agree with you about that. I still don't understand the riddle or the answer to this day. The death itself was also very anti-climatic, imo. That was the only flaw with series 3, I think.
Subject to change.
Purgatory
Knight
Knight

Post by Purgatory »

i think if u know the name of the spell u can diss spell it.
My life is an endless purgatory interruped by profound moments of misery
Melisandrinoff
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Melisandrinoff »

Hi Malefact! *waves to everyone else* Ah, it is so great to be, albeit cyberly ;-), with people who love Knightmare as much as I do ;-) Yeah, I mean, I've heard of Stonehenge, but that question was a bit random I think ;-) And I thought it was so cute when they kept trying to 'make contact' with the toad - bless! ;-) Y'know, I have no idea how I managed to wait a whole week between episodes when I watched it as a kid - I'm having a hard time waiting a day ;-)
"You're in a room..." ;)
MoanaLiza
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by MoanaLiza »

Recapping through the series guides I tell a lie. I got confused. It is not Leo's quest it's Martin's quest which is my least favourite ending/death!
The Forum Moana and chief honey pot carrier!
"Come and take a gander at this bit of ugliness"
Jebstar
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Jebstar »

I thought that the wall gargoyle rocked! I was wondering what was going on with the sword mis-spelling thing as I missed the earlier bit of the show. Can anyone explain?
Cant even quest!
Steve
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Steve »

a point on the dispelling, they seemed to just turn the first and last words around wen they 'dispellled' maybe that was the rule - in any event it was accepted(maybe because it was the right course of action to take and the supervisors wernt NIT PICKING o_O)
Steve

Came, Saw, Mastered, Moved on...
Kawaii_Catgirl
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Kawaii_Catgirl »

Heh, I have a GSCE and AS-Level in Media Studies, and all my lessons have taught me to be a little too critical over the years. Though it's handy sometimes, I do tend to spot things that other people don't.

I remember Treguard's "in the wrong order" bit - I always interpreted it to be "backwards", for some reason.
"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice."
KaM
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by KaM »

Hi to Melisandrinoff, and any others posting on this thread that I haven't said hello too within the last few days. :)

Just to add a bit of extra weight, albeit my not-very-much, onto these little debates. As far as the disspelling goes, it was distinctly the case that as long as the team had learnt the particular spell name, it was allowed for them to disspell it without them actually casting the spell in the first place. Many examples besides Leo's quest involve Mogdred, such as the 'Toad' spell with Ross' quest against McGrew in S3, the 'Shroud' spell in Mogdred's vale in S2, and Alan's team dispelling 'Samurai' to save Ah-Wok in S6.

In fact, it was a good test, in my opinion, to see if the team could pick up on this knowledge, because the first sword set upon Leo's team in L3 could maybe have been dodged to collect the M and allow Merlin to remove the irritant, but it would have been most unfair had they not been allowed to disspell the second, in the L3 clue room - that would have been a majorly unfair death. [Also, on the dancing score - since a couple of seconds had passed with the correct action being taken, think it was well justified the step appearing - although they did trust to fate a little ;)]

Also, on the point of letter-order used to disspell, I don't believe there was any strict ruling other than providing any anagram of the letters in the incorrect order. I think that it became customary for teams to spell it backwards because it's quite simply the easiest - and I could have imagined them being advised to perform it this way. Given the example above of Mogdred's ledge in S2, where the team made a rather comical hash of disspelling 'Shroud' (although they did try to spell it backwards at first) - it would appear that the action would be a lot simpler as an advisor just running your pencil along the word backwards while spelling it out, rather than creating some wild order and making it trickier for themselves.

Hey, Ma'am K.C. - being especially critical is a great thing ~ thanks for bringing these things to our attention. More please!
~KaM~
Knightmarian. alphavillean. Marvellian.