Series 3 - Episode 8

Gretel
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Re: Series 3 - Episode 8

Post by Gretel »

Thoughts on the episode:

Hello Morghanna! Nice of you to show up at last, albeit slightly faded.
Nice reference to Velda on the arrival of an all-girl team.
"you should be able to hear from my voice that I'm terribly pretty, now DO you think I'm pretty?"
EvelynMason
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by EvelynMason »

Was able to catch the second broadcast in it's entirety today and believe this is the right section to add comment in to.

First and foremost believe this is the first opportunity I've been able to sit down without distraction and take in a complete episode beyond Level 2 on TV since probably the original view dates. Obviously a bit behind (as before) with other members as regards viewing knowledge, but Treguard looks much improved from his more 'dishevelled' appearance in the earlier series, but why does he need to assist the teams so much ? Counted on two or three occasions alone where Myatt just about provided a solution or answer to the team when they were stuck for an idea, or were unable to progress on their own initiative.

The new 'walkway' between rooms along the corridor i.e. instead of directly out one door and through another as before, was a neat touch although can remember thinking when watching "Is this really necessary" ? Those few seconds may not seem much but over the course of an episode, some would argue, can take up valuable playing time.

Someone mentioned at the start of the thread was Mogdred present when the McGrew character was spellcast into a toad ? Well the voice was unmistakable, I knew Lord Fear took over in the later series, but if Mogdred was still around for the third series, it seems safe enough. Speaking of McGrew (the Mel Gibson school of Scottish accents ??? ) I was surprised when the team were able to turn him back into human form again and well done to the team for even thinking a dis-spell. (Another team may have just left him to perish). Was he a one off ? Does he appear in another episode ? Provided some fun moments today so will keep an eye out when able in future episodes.

Felt sorry for the Birmingham team (can't recall their names :-[ ) when the dungeoneer made a judgement of error and fell off the ledge while being persued by the axe near the very end. Don't believe this would have happened in the earlier series so I imagine they were taking a tougher stance and while the axe didn't actually harm the dungeoneer physically, it merely harrassed and caused the team to make errors and quick decisions, obviously it's intended objective.

Was dismayed to see Olaf "still looting" as I never really found him that much of an enthralling character and surprised to an extent he wasn't cut out after Series 2. I'm sure that awful chess "game" has now been removed from before. (If I see it again I'm leaving the room and walking out) >:D

That was my review for today's show. Thanks for reading.
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

Yes the chess game, in my opinion, was a waste of playing time. Took too much of it.

Yeah the Birmingham team were unfortunate. The room itself was not the best and the footpath was not clear. Unsurprisingly, the room was not used again!
The only way is onward, there is no turning back.
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

Dammit, I programmed this in but for some reason it hasn't recorded. :(
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

I liked combat Chess it was a cool challenge, it's not as slow and the 'Roll the dice' room.

Either the team got such a hard level 3 room to really test them as they hadn't been the most competent, needing quite a lot of clues and pretty much guided through a simple level 2, or they took the wrong door? Maybe the bones were a clue as to which door to take?

Now who's going to free the maid?

They also weren't too sharp at describing the rooms to their dungeoneer, if it was me id like to know what's in the room and what was happening. lol
It's always the cracked ones that let the light in
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Evelyn. I'm glad you were finally able to catch an episode.
EvelynMason wrote:Treguard looks much improved from his more 'dishevelled' appearance in the earlier series, but why does he need to assist the teams so much ? Counted on two or three occasions alone where Myatt just about provided a solution or answer to the team when they were stuck for an idea, or were unable to progress on their own initiative.
Ross's quest used to be one of my favourites. Having rewatched it last weekend, I can't overlook how frequently Treguard digs the team out of holes. Not all teams were helped so generously. No wonder the advisors looked so pleased when they thought to dispel TOAD off their own bat (no pun intended). In Hugo Myatt's defence, he was only doing what producer Tim Child told him to via his earpiece.
EvelynMason wrote:The new 'walkway' between rooms along the corridor i.e. instead of directly out one door and through another as before, was a neat touch although can remember thinking when watching "Is this really necessary" ? Those few seconds may not seem much but over the course of an episode, some would argue, can take up valuable playing time.
I get a little frustrated with the dwarf tunnels but I'm not convinced they take away gaming time. They may have been used to some extent as filler to adjust an episode so that temporal disruption occurred for the watchers at a certain point (e.g. just before a quest was about to end, just after a new quest had started).
EvelynMason wrote:Speaking of McGrew (the Mel Gibson school of Scottish accents ??? ) I was surprised when the team were able to turn him back into human form again and well done to the team for even thinking a dis-spell. (Another team may have just left him to perish). Was he a one off ? Does he appear in another episode ?
McGrew appeared in only one earlier episode and no later episodes. We might have seen more of him if more Series 3 teams had made it to Level 2.
EvelynMason wrote: I'm sure that awful chess "game" has now been removed from before. (If I see it again I'm leaving the room and walking out) >:D
In straight lines?
pjmlfc05 wrote:Yeah the Birmingham team were unfortunate. The room itself was not the best and the footpath was not clear. Unsurprisingly, the room was not used again!
I think the French version of Knightmare, Le Chevalier du Labyrinthe, did make later use of it though. Either that or the Spanish version.
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

Drassil wrote:
pjmlfc05 wrote:Yeah the Birmingham team were unfortunate. The room itself was not the best and the footpath was not clear. Unsurprisingly, the room was not used again!
I think the French version of Knightmare, Le Chevalier du Labyrinthe, did make later use of it though. Either that or the Spanish version.
I definitely remember someone dying there in the Spanish version. Not sure if Chevalier used it as well.
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

Canadanne wrote:Dammit, I programmed this in but for some reason it hasn't recorded. :(
Argh, even this morning's repeat didn't record! What the heck is going on with Challenge? Everything else has been recording just fine all week...
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

Interesting to watch episodes 7 and 8 back-to-back, as James and Ross die in exactly the same way - the advisor guiding them obviously thinks that the vertical edge of the pathway is part of the flat surface. Both were also somewhat distracted by hauntings at the time.

I always enjoy McGrew fighting the magic sword, and burning himself on the forcefield. :)
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

With Ross and the team, they were distracted and that led to them to lose. I wonder if the team didn't tell Ross to stop, could he have gone through the door? It is only when Ross stopped, he then froze and plummeted down.
The only way is onward, there is no turning back.
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

Canadanne wrote:
Canadanne wrote:Dammit, I programmed this in but for some reason it hasn't recorded. :(
Argh, even this morning's repeat didn't record! What the heck is going on with Challenge? Everything else has been recording just fine all week...

Nothing's up with Challenge, mine recorded perfectly. :)
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

wombstar wrote:
Canadanne wrote:

Nothing's up with Challenge, mine recorded perfectly. :)
Mine did too this week. I will have to look out for the missing two episodes being shown again sometime. :(
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

So far all of them have recorded for me, i like to watch them Sunday evening. 8)
Morghanna
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Morghanna »

Team 6 had been somewhat hesitant in level 1, but really increased in confidence in level 2.
They had some good fortune, being accompanied by McGrew thru the caverns to the end of level 2. Good thinking to dispel Mogdred's "TOAD" spell on McGrew.
McGrew fought off the haunted sword, which is presumably what he would have done for Cliff (team 2) had he been released.
:exclaim: In the 2nd part of the caverns it was yet again noticeable that Ross couldn't hear his advisors clearly.

They chose the left-hand exit in the opening cavern of level 3 as there were bones leading to the right. :idea: No other team who encountered this cavern placed any great emphasis on this fact. Was it a clue, or just background detail?
Given a real hurry-up by some haunting skulls, but avoided them neatly.

They arrived on a narrow, curving pathway over a void, watched by the shadowy image of a beautiful sorceress. The first appearance of Morghanna. >:D Her mocking laughter filled the cavern and when Treguard warned the team about her, she ordered him to be silent, then returned her attention to Ross: "You! I think it's about time you got wise to the ways of real magic. The kind that is borne on the dark side. In the meantime tho, let's just let you squirm!" As she vanished, with more sinister laughter, she sent a magic axe towards Ross.
They clearly didn't fancy the perilous walk across the pathway and crucially wasted almost 20 seconds debating what to do, before finally acting. The result was that they had to rush their instructions with the axe gaining on Ross. They directed him quite well, but just before the exit they didn't turn him far enough left and he stepped off the path. :( A real pity as they were starting to look like they could have done well.

:question: Was this extra tough pathway a consequence of taking the left-hand exit from the previous cavern? Possibly not, as 2 of the 4 teams who had previously entered that cavern (S1 team6 & S2 team4) took the left-hand exit and didn't encounter this difficult causeway.

Team 7 just had time to enter the opening room before time ran out.
Last edited by Morghanna on 17 Mar 2021, 19:34, edited 1 time in total.
"I think it's about time you got wise to the ways of real magic. The kind that is borne on the dark side." >:D
Morghanna
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Morghanna »

Just watched this episode again and noticed that Treguard doesn't bid farewell to Ross, Gavin, Fu & Shahzad using their individual names, but simply calls them "team".
I don't recall him doing this for any other team in these earlier series. :-/
"I think it's about time you got wise to the ways of real magic. The kind that is borne on the dark side." >:D