Positive things about Series 8

AriadnesLayer
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Positive things about Series 8

Post by AriadnesLayer » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:28 pm

I'm the first to admit that not all the changes in the latter series (especially series 8 ) were not all welcome. (See my "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" topic.)

But it wasn't all bad. Series 8 was full of changes, and some of them, I thought. Were rather good.

The new antichamber
I liked it! Much more dungeony and atmospheric than the previous ones. I especially liked the new entrance to the dungeon "The grate opens, the visor closes..." with the big wooden grate and the dust/smoke pouring over from the dungeon below. Much more effective than just walking through a fake doorway!

Trapdoors.
Another welcome addition. A nice nod back to the original concept, with dungeon levels being directly below each other. A much more aesthetically believable concept (in my opinion) than flying on a dragon across the sea to another island or something :-\ It was a lot more like the original wellways, though unlike the wellways, a spell was often needed in order to work the trapdoor, which IMO made them even better than wellways. The notion of needing a spell or clue of some sort simply to get out of the level, was a novel idea. Shame it took them 8 years to come up with it!

Back to the dungeon.
It was great that in Series 8 we were finally back in the doom and gloom of the dungeon for most of it.

There's a lot to dislike too, but I'm sure that's been discussed to death. So let's keep this thread a positive one. What did you like about Series 8?
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gizensha
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Re:Positive things about Series 8

Post by Gizensha » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:01 pm

Most of the gameplay concepts of Series 8 were good, I feel, and I definitely preferred the CGI dungeon to the color-adjusted photos of castles. Plus, Motley's return was very welcome indeed.

The main issue with S8 (and I know that this is a positive thread but thinking about why all the good things about S8 are overlooked in favour of 'argh, change!'), I feel, It was just 'too much too fast' as far as modifications to the game were concerned, I feel, especially given how short the season was.
Last edited by Gizensha on Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BrotherStrange
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by BrotherStrange » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:34 pm

I thought the miremen were a good addition too, a nice alternative to trolls and goblins.

They seemed very at home in the mireworld, and they had a suitably grotesque appearance. I certainly wouldn't want to be on the business end of one of their tridents!
I hadn't realised I'd entered the lunatic asylum! No doubt one day you'll be cured, you poor creature

Helvellyn
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Helvellyn » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:50 am

The return to a more confined, interior view was a good one, although the implementation was a mess. The Reach wand seems to be overly-maligned to me, since it gives a new way of doing puzzles in a less unwieldy way than stamping around the floor.

Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit » Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:54 pm

I suppose there is a fine balance in Knightmare when it comes to artwork and CGI graphics. You don't want too much CGI (See KmVR!) And too much artwork (although good in its time) simply gets too boring after a few years. Suggesting why they probably expanded their horizon in Series 4
If the only way is onward how would you get home for tea?? :-/

sozboz
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by sozboz » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:41 am

The antechamber set in series 8 rocked!
Malice's loyal subject

knightmaredave
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by knightmaredave » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:08 pm

Wha i really liked, is that some of the deah sequences were very good, the red dragon scene was excellenet as was the corridor of blades death. The ante chamber was great, as was Lord Fears new home very grand!!
knightmaredave

Gizensha
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Gizensha » Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:06 pm

Fidjit wrote: I suppose there is a fine balance in Knightmare when it comes to artwork and CGI graphics. You don't want too much CGI (See KmVR!) And too much artwork (although good in its time) simply gets too boring after a few years. Suggesting why they probably expanded their horizon in Series 4
The trouble with the colour-modified photographs is it never felt 'real' to me, somehow, and I preferred both the [somewhat dodgy due to it being mid-90s] CGI and the artwork to it.

[Warning - The next paragraph contains information gleaned from watching Doctor Who Confidential. Please don't laugh at any inaccuracies or screwing up of terms. Also take any terms I use with a pinch of salt, I'm trying to convey the information, and corrections are welcome for those who know more about the topic than I do]

I'd actually argue, personally, that the ideal would be to use what I believe is referred to be some as 2.5d Matte Paintings. Go with Matte Paintings (i.e. hand drawn 2d art, basically the sort of stuff S1-3 used, only presumably drawn somewhat differently due to not being static), and project them onto a simple 3d geometry, essentially giving you 3d hand paintings that you can position camera angles anyway you desire, and move the camera around them live. You then use whatever effect will generate the best stuff for whatever you happen to be doing within that environment.

Ironlord
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Ironlord » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:44 pm

Helvellyn wrote: The Reach wand seems to be overly-maligned to me, since it gives a new way of doing puzzles in a less unwieldy way than stamping around the floor.
Though the main problem with that wand was that where the cursor showed up had nothing whatsoever to do with where the dungeoneer was pointing it...
I am Granitas of legend. MY NAME IS NOT AMUSING!

Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:21 pm

Ironlord wrote:Though the main problem with that wand was that where the cursor showed up had nothing whatsoever to do with where the dungeoneer was pointing it...
I wonder what would have happened if the cursor moved entirely off screen into infinite! :o They'd never get the flaming thing back! ;D
If the only way is onward how would you get home for tea?? :-/

Helvellyn
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Helvellyn » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:23 pm

Ironlord wrote:
Helvellyn wrote: The Reach wand seems to be overly-maligned to me, since it gives a new way of doing puzzles in a less unwieldy way than stamping around the floor.
Though the main problem with that wand was that where the cursor showed up had nothing whatsoever to do with where the dungeoneer was pointing it...
It's one of those things that would work better these days, being easier to do. A laser pointer and a computer picking up the spot should work fairly well, as long as you can stop the dungeoneer pointing it in peoples' eyes. Mind you, Lord Fear sometimes looked like someone was already doing that to him...