Update from Tim Child

Report and discuss latest knews and developments relating to Knightmare.
beveryafraid
Creator of Knightmare

Update from Tim Child

Post by beveryafraid »

Some of you will have noticed that the Knightmare development material has been removed from view on the Televirtual website.
That's because, after a long period of expensive software development, we've been forced to concentrate on moving the RAP system into production, and trying to relaunch a classic 20th century kids TV show isn't the quickest way to do that.

Others of you will be surprised to learn that after giving it much thought, I have decided that any new version of Knightmare would be best as a mixture of VR and live action, i.e. a real dungeoneer and a helmet, and blindfolding, and (once again) a blue studio. There are a number of reasons for this, but principally I believe and accept that whilst a much wider gaming pattern is available via full virtual reality, the essential dynamics of the exercise may not match the original.
All monsters and dungeon-based cast would however be virtual.

Believe me, there are very good reasons why it would be better otherwise, for although real-time compositing or keying has improved, we stand today at the threshold of HDTV, with future TV pictures six times the size of those currently in use, and fidelity levels which mean the slightest errors in clipping and keying will be critical.

In any case it may all be academic. To date there has been no real interest expressed from any UK broadcaster. No one is clamouring to schedule a revised Knightmare in either form. I do have interest from abroad, but without a UK budget, we could not service it. For this , its easy to blame the Fightbox fiasco which cost the BBC millions and poisoned the well for technology-based programming, but it's maybe its equally fair to admit that the pilot exercise, conducted on a limited budget with limited resources, perhaps did not do justice to the subject? I know some of you thought this.

So is this finally the end for Knightmare? I really couldn't say. Somehow it keeps coming back. Maybe it's just sleeping?

BVA
play the endgame and play only to win
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re:Update from Tim Child

Post by Fidjit »

I'll bet people will like a mix of VR and the traditional Knightmare... If you are to use the helmets would they be the origional helmets or newer?
If the only way is onward how would you get home for tea?? :-/
TuragaNuju
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by TuragaNuju »

The Dungeon Will Never Die!

Never lose hope - something always turns up

*It does for me ;D*
Treguard: "Ooh.. nasty. Still, We Can Have A Toilet Break Now - I'm Bursting!"
DarkComet
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by DarkComet »

It saddens me to hear this. I had great faith in the resurrection of this integral part of my childhood.

But history runs in cycles. It may take months or years, but I guarentee this isn't the last we'll hear of Knightmare.
The Dunshelm Players
Audios plays and commentaries with a Knightmare flavour

The neighing and braying of farmyard animals follows
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

It's a big shame that there haven't been any bites yet. It's the broadcasters' loss, I feel. I hope it isn't the end for Km. If it does have to be the end, though, thank you very much for trying to resurrect it. Good luck and best wishes.

I should point out the enormous influence that Km has had on my life. Through meeting up with some of the people on this forum (which would never have happened had Km not existed to bring us together) then I wouldn't have the rich friendships and life-changing memories that I have now. They are the best friends that I've ever had, simple as that. For that, and much more, you have my deep and everlasting gratitude.
Last edited by Malefact on 10 May 2005, 22:07, edited 1 time in total.
Subject to change.
DarkComet
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by DarkComet »

Yes. Thanks Tim. I owe a lot to Knightmare, and it's given me many happy memories. I wish you all the luck for the future.
The Dunshelm Players
Audios plays and commentaries with a Knightmare flavour

The neighing and braying of farmyard animals follows
DazzaS
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by DazzaS »

Definately all the best to tim Child.
I must admit I am definately surprised that no broadcaser has picked it up.
BBC need to beef up its weekday teatime schedule on BBC2 and knghtmare is perfect for it.
I still believe knightmare will return but untill then all the nest and hopefully Challenge will still broadcast them and hopefully moove to freeview so more peope, can watch it.

And also pleas please please release them on DVD in time for 20th anniversary since it all began in 1987
Ooh, nasty!
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

Long live Tim Child and Knightmare! ;D
If the only way is onward how would you get home for tea?? :-/
TheBrollachan
Knight
Knight

Post by TheBrollachan »

Well Knightmare on FreeView is more than possible, as Ftn is available on Freeview, which show's the best of the Flexitech channel content (eg. Most Haunted, some Fort Boyard). So in theory Knightmare could easily appear on FreeView.

Out of interest can anyone tell me precisely what the fiasco with Fightbox was?

Still I intend to plug KM VR whenever I can, and do on certain TV Forums, which I know people within the industry also read (and within BBC offices).
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SmokeHits
Keeper of the original modellers' cast of the Brollachan.
HarveyTowers
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by HarveyTowers »

As far as I know Fightbox was expensive and didn't pull in high enough audience figures to justify the costs.

Billed as the new Robot Wars perhaps it proves that VR can't always replace the real thing!

The genre's lack of popularity is perhaps surprising given the popularity of computer generated films.

What ever happens - it seems this is the end of the project known as "Knightmare VR"
Good night out there; whatever you are!
Jericho6
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Jericho6 »

Fightbox, eh? :-\ Can't say I ever watched that anyway.

I don't see how you can't just step around the Fightbox problem by saying "Look, Knightmare was a successful programme that drew large audiences for 7/8 years - it's been done before, *I've* done it before and I can make it work"

I'm glad to hear you still believe in the real dungeoneer and the blindfolding - to me, this is what made Knightmare worth watching. I always thought Km was superior as a "firghtening" children's programme to other shows that relied on the same hook (Doctor Who for example) by relying on suspense rather than scaring the crap out of kids with monsters. The blindfold was an integral part of the suspense: the clumsy manoeuvres of the dungeoneer versus the lethal traps of the dungeon made for some terrific hide-behind-the-cushions moments especially in season 3 and in the causeways and corridor of blades (and, though I liked it for its good - at times - writing, Doctor Who never got me hiding behind the cushions as a kid, something it's supposed to be legendary for :-\ - Knightmare did)

The only thing that ever went wrong with Knightmare is that, particularly around season 5, the dungeoneer just wasn't in danger often enough. A few days ago I found an old tape I made of season 5 and I watched the first episode - the dungeoneer didn't get into the least bit of danger at all until well over 15 minutes into it :(

Anyway, it's good to hear you still believe in The Project :)

How's Timegate doing? :)
If 'exclude' is the opposite of 'include', then what's the opposite of 'increment'?
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Just sleeping

Post by Drassil »

Star Trek came back, Family Guy came back... and both of them had fans who never let the flame go out, welcomed them back with open arms, and used too many clichés in one sentence. But here's one more: never say never. In the meantime, however long it may be, there are episodes from Series 1-8 to treasure, along with the books etc., and the positive aspects of the Knightmare legacy that so many of us feel in our lives.
Knightmare: Kid-worthy, Naasty, Inspiring, Groundbreaking, Humorous, Treguard, Mesmerising, Adult-worthy, Rewarding, Essential.
MoanaLiza
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by MoanaLiza »

I was hoping that with Challenge showing KM again they might've been interested, or at least shown some interest, maybe there is still hope though. I am also a little surprised that Channel 4/T4 didn't show any slight interest as some of their broadcasting, particularly T4 is aimed at older Children and teenagers. I believe that this also looks bad for a possible dvd release. I hope that there is interest someday.

Just slightly off, but does anyone agree that bva's post should be on the main site/knews section?
The Forum Moana and chief honey pot carrier!
"Come and take a gander at this bit of ugliness"
Illusion
Knight
Knight

Post by Illusion »

Moana Liza wrote:Just slightly off, but does anyone agree that bva's post should be on the main site/knews section?
Well, it's not much of a development but I'll certainly update the knews page shortly.
You're on the edge of a ledge...
tomyboy
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by tomyboy »

:( That's a real shame. I know BBC2 want a new family show to be on either before or after Dick and Dom as it'd be a hour of family programming! Surprisingly (sarcasm), the nature programme hasn't got a lot of viewers and they need a replacement. I expected KMVR to take this place.