Mega-zine (Teletext)

Disucssion of topics that are not directly related to Knightmare.
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Mega-zine (Teletext)

Post by Canadanne »

I'm not sure if there will be any response to this, but as we're all of the same generation (and rather keen on nostalgia), I was just wondering... are there any veterans of Mega-zine on this forum? Or Teletext/Ceefax fans in general?
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Mega-zine (Teletext)

Post by HStorm »

Mega-zine I can't really remember. I recall I was quite fond of 4-Tel on Channel 4 Oracle. I especially remember 4-T, the digitised dog with the flapping ear.
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by JamesA »

The only thing I vividly remember about Teletext is Bamboozle.... though let's be honest, who didn't like that?
James Aukett
Creator of the Knightmare: 25th Anniversary Documentary
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

JamesA wrote:The only thing I vividly remember about Teletext is Bamboozle.... though let's be honest, who didn't like that?
I didn't like it back in the days when it was 25 questions and if you got one wrong, you had to go all the way back to the start! Aaaaarrrrrggghhhhh!!! (Didn't stop me playing it though.)

I have only the vaguest memories of Oracle. Mostly I just remember how I associated the name with the Oracle of Confusion!
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

I liked Bamboozle. I played it every day.

I wrote a letter of complaint to Teletext about a very tasteless joke on the children's cartoon "Turner The Worm". I didn't get a response.

Ceefax apparently had good music/muzak when it was displayed on TV after hours. David (Drassil) knows more about this than I do.
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.
DarkComet
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by DarkComet »

Was it the whole "invite turkey to xmas dinner, then eat it" thing they did EVERY year? Yeah, that made me rage.
The Dunshelm Players
Audios plays and commentaries with a Knightmare flavour

The neighing and braying of farmyard animals follows
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

Yes, that one.
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.
DarkComet
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by DarkComet »

Thought so. Don't know what's worse - the fact that killing and eating someone you invite for dinner was played FOR LAUGHS on a KIDS TELETEXT PAGE, or that it was the only xmas-related plot he could come up with every year. Unfortunate Implications, indeed.
The Dunshelm Players
Audios plays and commentaries with a Knightmare flavour

The neighing and braying of farmyard animals follows
hindleyite
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by hindleyite »

I was proud to call myself a 'Ziner way back at the turn of the century. I wish I'd kept some of the stupid emails I've sent to them, they'd be fun to read again! I remember writing stuff about Ford Focuses being rubbish (who drives those now, eh?), unusual things you can do with a walking stick, daft quotes from TV adverts etc. I like to think WLW (Whirlwuh?) went on to become Top Gear's the Stig.
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

I wish I'd kept a copy of my 'Zine contributions, too. I remember writing a genius poem once (something to do with a bumble bee?) that's now sadly lost forever. :/

Shame it all went downhill in the later years. The day I noticed that White Line Warrior wasn't even writing his/her/its comments below the white line any more, it truly jumped the shark for me...
hindleyite
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by hindleyite »

Canadanne wrote:I wish I'd kept a copy of my 'Zine contributions, too. I remember writing a genius poem once (something to do with a bumble bee?) that's now sadly lost forever. :/

Shame it all went downhill in the later years. The day I noticed that White Line Warrior wasn't even writing his/her/its comments below the white line any more, it truly jumped the shark for me...
Probably better we've forgotten exactly what we've written because, in my case anyway, I'm sure my contributions were nowhere near as good as I remember. :P

I found it weird that WLW's comments, which were part written in large text and part in a smaller size, felt like they were being shouted for the first half and whispered the second, a bit like some of those image macros and motivational pics with the black frames you get on the Internet today. Teletext>Internet!
Drew

Post by Drew »

Yep I used to post on there between 2000-2002 I think. I was Dark Grey Wolf of Norbex and a few others.
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

Drew wrote:Yep I used to post on there between 2000-2002 I think. I was Dark Grey Wolf of Norbex and a few others.
Ah, I remember that name! :)
hindleyite
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by hindleyite »

Drew wrote:Yep I used to post on there between 2000-2002 I think. I was Dark Grey Wolf of Norbex and a few others.
Uh huh, the name rings some bells. Now all we need is for the Brigadier and Kellogulation to saunter over here and essentially we have a non-Vegetable Revolution reunion! Break out the Watered Lemon Wine.