Knightmare Video Capture

Interested in offering help to the Knightmare community? Make or respond to requests for help here.
SteveH
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Knightmare Video Capture

Post by SteveH »

Guys and Gals,

Just had a wondering, i tried to do this a while back but ran out of time and went 2 university - now ive almost finished i think im gonna try it again!

Basically - as my VHS tapes wear out, i wanna try and make divx/dvd/xvid captures of the KM episodes to retain their quality.

I should state this is NOT for profit/selling on ebay or anything like that! I promise!

BUt i would be interested if anyone has done this before and could recommend which format works well, e.g. divx/mpeg to dvd etc and any details e.g. resolutions programs etc.

Last time i tried this, the results wernt so good as far as i remember!

BTW i would be using an ATI 9600XT TV in to capture the video,

Help would be very mcuh appreciated!

Regards
Steve
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re:Knightmare Video Capture

Post by Fidjit »

I had that problem of picture quality, but you're best bet would be to use MPEG quality film and WAV format for sound...
If the only way is onward how would you get home for tea?? :-/
SteveH
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Re:Knightmare Video Capture

Post by SteveH »

Thanks for the reply! At the mo ive done 4 eps of Series 7 this is how i did it...

1) Capture DVD Mpeg2 @ 720x576
2) Filter in Virtual Dub with temporal smoother (low) and static noise reduction. Cleaned up the pic a bit
3) Filtered sound in cool edit pro - comes up nicely
4) Re endode in TMPGenc to make roughly 1gb file

These are coming out pretty good - the filters in virtual dub filter out some of the wavy lines, the sound is easy to fix. Its series 1 and 2 which are gonna be hard - the tapes on a standalone vcr or via the pc have flicking or bouncing from the top of the screen, which my tv/vcr combi seems to filter out some how. I think i need a time base corrector, but that costs £100+ so thats out of the question!