Roleplay in the discussion forum

Any feedback, questions or ideas for this forum and website.
Emii
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Roleplay in the discussion forum

Post by Emii »

This was brought up recently by Moana and Kieran. Perhaps there could be a section in here for daft roleplay? The Off topic forum doesn't seem to be enough, and although I have been guilty of this in the past, I think some people aren't to happy with threads being hijacked with RP.

What do people think?
"The alarm, Master! The opposition's tracked them! Oh good grief...look - Lord Fear's frozen Christopher!"
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re:Roleplay in the discussion forum

Post by HStorm »

I agree, but at the same time it IS very hard to resist at times.

I have a compromise rule to suggest instead of starting a dedicated RP thread (because I don't think it'll work);-

If people want to do a bit of silly RP in a "sensible" topic, they have to put it in as a postscript or afterthought to a valid contribution. Therefore if you can't think of a sensible contribution to a thread you should leave it alone.

That way threads will stick, at least partly, on topic.
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.
TheBrollachan
Knight
Knight

Post by TheBrollachan »

Ocassionally the deleting of posts is required when you find a topic is going a bit too off-topic. However if this is done constantly it can annoy people, and make other post make no sense. Still as HStorm has said it is very hard to resist at times (as reading topics such as the thinnest book proves).

* Finds a RESTORE spell and returns himself back into the Brollachen *

Oops ::)
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SmokeHits
Keeper of the original modellers' cast of the Brollachan.
Emii
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Emii »

That's a good idea - no or as few roleplay-only posts as possible. If people have to make a valid post before roleplay can be added in it will save a lot less off topic problems.
"The alarm, Master! The opposition's tracked them! Oh good grief...look - Lord Fear's frozen Christopher!"
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

My opinion: This is called the Knightmare Discussion Forum, and thus should predominantly consist of threads which discuss Knightmare. No member should be put off posting, because of an overabundance of roleplaying, or because of a fear that roleplaying could encroach on any attempt at discussion. I would suggest that anyone with a keenness for such banter investigate the Off-Topic Forum (http://qwaz.proboards22.com). Perhaps a new, dedicated 'Daft Roleplay' board on the Off-Topic Forum would help to encourage such frivolity to relocate there? This would not stop anyone's fun, merely rehouse it.
Knightmare: Kid-worthy, Naasty, Inspiring, Groundbreaking, Humorous, Treguard, Mesmerising, Adult-worthy, Rewarding, Essential.
MoanaLiza
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by MoanaLiza »

I agree, either house it on the backup forum or the RP forum in the OT bit. I mean there is nothing wrong with topics going off topic, which sometimes is unnavoidable. It's when they almost constantly go way off topic completely and then it starts getting out of hand. When these things start happening and frequently, that's when members start to leave/less frequent, which is of course what we DON'T want to happen. There is also nothing wrong with the odd thread turning into a bit of silly RP, but it gets OTT when at least half the threads turn into it, it goes on and the threads either stay off topic or someone tries to bring them on topic and the RP continues.

PS don't be discoraged if your a member that is supposed to be a character acting as that character e.g. Elita, Motley, Skarkill, etc. as long as you stay on the topic being as that character. An example is when Skarkill introduces himself to knew knewbies he's in RP but doesn't go off topic with it. Do you know what I mean?
Last edited by Anonymous on 22 May 2004, 21:10, edited 1 time in total.
The Forum Moana and chief honey pot carrier!
"Come and take a gander at this bit of ugliness"
Illusion
Knight
Knight

Post by Illusion »

I'm pretty much in agreement with most of the respondants to this question so far. It's primarily a discussion forum and role-play is better suited on a separate forum.
You're on the edge of a ledge...
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

Illusion wrote: I'm pretty much in agreement with most of the respondants to this question so far. It's primarily a discussion forum and role-play is better suited on a separate forum.
Agreed. Many times I have found myself alienated by RPing between members of the forum. As Mona stated, it is hard to stay on topic all of the time, but with RP resources open in other places such activities are better off the places they are designed for, or indeed can accommodate better. (RP and OT Forums)
'He's NOT a Dungeoneer, he's a VERY naughty boy!'