Competitions

Any feedback, questions or ideas for this forum and website.
Mashibinbin
Staff
Staff

Competitions

Post by Mashibinbin »

Yesterday I came across BVAs competition for spotting the deliberate mistake. Unfortunately as an occasional viewer of what goes on here I missed it by a long shot. :(

Perhaps, if as soon as a competition is known about, by BVA or otherwise, then a Knewsflash is sent out to all subscribers notifying them about it.

For those that get online not so regularly there is the possibility they have only time to read a few postings at a time and such Knewsflashes would be useful to them.

As you know, the community is far greater than those that just post here regularly and it'd be a nice way to keep them involved as .they can still be a part of key forum 'events'.

This affects not only long time members who for one reason or another have to make their visits sporadic and brief but also I'm sure a growing number of Knewbies who want to be part of things but simply dont have time bar saying Hello to all and giving a few postings before 'leaving'.

As you know, the community is far greater than those that just post here regularly and it'd be a nice way to keep them involved as .they can still be a part of key forum 'events'.
Carpe Diem - sieze the moment.
TheBrollachan
Knight
Knight

Re:Competitions

Post by TheBrollachan »

Well I would advise checking the forthcoming caption competition on KM interactive (access via knightmare.com)

As for mass mailing or similar I certain would prefer an opt-in system, rather than recieving several emails.

[Edited to remove part of post]
Last edited by TheBrollachan on 24 Sep 2004, 12:45, edited 1 time in total.
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SmokeHits
Keeper of the original modellers' cast of the Brollachan.
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

Bearing in mind that this topic was started by someone who is disappointed about missing out on the recent competition, changing the subject to talk about your prizes [now edited out] seems a little unsympathetic to me. I hope you see my point.

Also, the reference to honey and honey pots [now edited out] - an in-joke that only a few of the most regular forum-goers will understand (I wish I did!) - highlights RobinJB's point too: there is a danger of infrequent visitors feeling left out. This makes me uncomfortable - regular Forum attendance is fun and stimulating, though sadly isn't possible for everyone; but it doesn't make them any less of a fan. An example is Hatek, who's only posted here once or twice, but as a member of the Knightmare RPG team, is very much a part of the fan community.

I don't blame anyone for this - it's just one of the side-effects of an internet forum, I suppose. I'm glad it's been raised as an issue, as this way there's more chance of it getting addressed. I'd suggest the following solution: A Sticky Topic in the Knews Discussion section, where Forum users (but especially the Mods) can post 'Knewsflashes', and which can be treated as the first port of call for less regular visitors looking for a concise yet complete update.
Last edited by Drassil on 24 Sep 2004, 15:03, edited 1 time in total.
Knightmare: Kid-worthy, Naasty, Inspiring, Groundbreaking, Humorous, Treguard, Mesmerising, Adult-worthy, Rewarding, Essential.
MoanaLiza
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by MoanaLiza »

I was not aiming to upset anyone and am very sorry if I did. My response to The Brollachan's post was a sarcastic one and not even aimed to be funny. As I've said I did not aim my post to upset anyone and I have removed the post. I suggest that The Brollachan removes or edits his post.

Maybe in response to what Robin and Drassil have said, I think maybe Illusion can or can appoint a mod to email or someway message infrequent members of any important forum knews/competitions on the forum. Just an idea or something similar.
The Forum Moana and chief honey pot carrier!
"Come and take a gander at this bit of ugliness"
Illusion
Knight
Knight

Post by Illusion »

This was a competition that Tim Child set up on the spot in response to no one spotting a particular mistake in the KM VR pilot. No mention of the prize was made at the start.

The reason why no formal announcement was made was because I expected that it would be won very quickly and by the time I got round to sending out the e-mail and updating the site it would have finished. Indeed it was claimed after two days.

I understand that people are not able to check the forum as regularly as others, but often breaking knews is published on the forum before it reaches the website, and if people really want to be up to date on everything then the forum is the best place to visit regularly.

On a different note, the Interactive Knightmare website is holding a competition to win an Eye Shield starting on Monday running for two/three weeks. A full announcement will naturally be made on knightmare.com this weekend, giving all members a chance to take part.
Last edited by Anonymous on 24 Sep 2004, 20:11, edited 1 time in total.
You're on the edge of a ledge...
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

Certainly highlighting all competitons would be a good idea. As has been stated before, it would be unfair that only the regular posters/visitors get a chance to actually win anything.

The Eye Shield competition is one which should get good publicity. The shield itself is the winning Quest item for S7, and it does look absolutely lovely in person!
'He's NOT a Dungeoneer, he's a VERY naughty boy!'