Unintended Knightmare references in films

Other shows or games that remind you of Knightmare but aren't official derivatives.
DavidNewton
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Unintended Knightmare references in films

Post by DavidNewton »

Time for me to start another offbeat topic, I think. This one is to post the references to Knightmare, or similarities to it, that you've noticed in other places. Anything from the obvious, through those that have to be read in to more, all the way to the downright ridiculous.

For example, in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, the leader of the cult _is_ Lord Fear. With added horns on his head.

And in the next film - Last Crusade - the route to the Holy Grail is very similar to the Corridor of Blades (Indy! Duck! Sidestep to your left!), closely followed by a letter causeway.

The one that inspired me to start this topic, though, is in Gamma Ray's song "Follow Me". It contains the line:

"It's a world of illusion by the masters of confusion, follow me."

Sound familiar?
Far beyond the rising sun, I ride the wings of fate... prepared to go where my heart belongs - back to the past again!
Emii
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Knightmare references

Post by Emii »

I always thought some of the stuff in Labyrinth seemed a bit Knightmareish, only none of it made sense whilst the majority of the stuff made sense in KM. There was a goblin master, lots of incompetent minions, puzzles, bribery and friends to be made along the way (althogether now, "AWWWWWWWW"). Also many beasties to run from...anybody notive the similarity between the Dreadnaught and Humungous (the giant robot in the Goblin City)? What about the wall monsters and the slightly less threatening door knockers? Biting fairies and poking Pixels, anyone?
"The alarm, Master! The opposition's tracked them! Oh good grief...look - Lord Fear's frozen Christopher!"
Jericho6
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Jericho6 »

What's Labyrinth?  ???

aanyway. I think that stuff like Heroquest and Warhammer Quest are kinda like Knightmare in a way, and I'm sure that plenty of Kinghtmare like scenarios are present inside various AD&D games.
If 'exclude' is the opposite of 'include', then what's the opposite of 'increment'?
Emii
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Emii »

What's Labyrinth? WHAT'S LABYRINTH? Somebody tell the poor misguided boy...

*swoons*

"Through dangers untold, and hardships unnumbered, I have fought my way here to the castle beyond the Goblin City, to take back the child you have stolen. For my will is as strong as yours, and my kingdom is a great...for my will is as strong as yours and my kingdom is as great...damn. I can never remember that line...

You have no power over me."
"The alarm, Master! The opposition's tracked them! Oh good grief...look - Lord Fear's frozen Christopher!"
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by GrimaldineGrimwold »

It's a fabulous film! I always remember it as the first video I ever rented (strange how those little bits of trivia stick with you).

Oh, the topic. I have some references to add, but for one of them I need to paste a link, which I can't find right now. Will try again tomorrow.

*backs slowly away into the corner, grinning inanely*
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
DerbyGem
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by DerbyGem »

Dungeons and Dragons (the film) has a knightmare-ish scence in it where there hero has to get to the centre of the dungeon/maze to win a ruby.  There's a corridor of swinging axe things, a room where he had to step on the correct tiles otherwise he'd get burnt, and a room where he had to unlock a door before he got crushed.

Also a bit of a funny reference - Richard O'Brien is the dungeon master and one of his quotes was "If you complete my maze, you win the prize" hehe (wonder if he wanted that line adding himself  ;D)
"There's nothing more terrifying than adolescent humanity"
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Re:Unintended KM References

Post by Drassil »

In The Nutty Professor 2, Buddy Love (Eddie Murphy) looks at a picture of a dog and remarks, 'Ooh, nasty!'

---

Earlier, I saw an advert for Senokot. A woman was asked to imagine that a handbag represented her stomach, and she proceeded to put food in the bag!
Last edited by Drassil on 24 Sep 2005, 22:23, edited 1 time in total.
Knightmare: Kid-worthy, Naasty, Inspiring, Groundbreaking, Humorous, Treguard, Mesmerising, Adult-worthy, Rewarding, Essential.
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

Since this thread was last posted in, Snowwie, you've gone and come back again! Though you seem to be Snowwiewerewolf at the moment...

In the film Shaun Of The Dead, the title character gets called 'Pickle' by his mother. Apparently, this is also the pet name that the director receives from his mother.
Knightmare: Kid-worthy, Naasty, Inspiring, Groundbreaking, Humorous, Treguard, Mesmerising, Adult-worthy, Rewarding, Essential.
Snowwiewolf
Knight
Knight

Post by Snowwiewolf »

Yes Drassil I come and go with the scent of chocolate and red wigs. Whoops I hadn't noticed that werewolf bit :) *changes name to something more appropriate*

A while ago I was in aikido and I fell forwards in to a wall (it didint hurt that much) and without thinking I said: Ohh nasty
I got some funny looks :) seeing as I'm in Finland
I'm an alien, you're a berry picker!
Ironlord
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Ironlord »

Drassil wrote: In the film Shaun Of The Dead, the title character gets called 'Pickle' by his mother. Apparently, this is also the pet name that the director receives from his mother.
Now, I've not seen this, but I'm sure the main character must be the one played by Simon Pegg. Of Spaced fame.

His character referred to Daisy as "Pickle" in the first episode of Spaced.

Those of you who haven't seen Spaced: rectify this now.
I am Granitas of legend. MY NAME IS NOT AMUSING!
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

Ironlord wrote:
Drassil wrote: In the film Shaun Of The Dead, the title character gets called 'Pickle' by his mother. Apparently, this is also the pet name that the director receives from his mother.
Now, I've not seen this, but I'm sure the main character must be the one played by Simon Pegg. Of Spaced fame.
Correct. The film has lots of references to the TV series. In fact, Jessica Stevenson (Daisy in Spaced) is in Shaun Of The Dead too.

One of my favourite films, Two Idiots In Hollywood (a cult classic that never was), features a character called Morghanna the Bionic Cow in its final scene. Earlier in the film, there is a cop who conducts an interrogation using a shark glove puppet (not unlike Snapper Jack and his snapdragon?).
natnut
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by natnut »

I LOVE SPACED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and yes he does refer to daisy as pickle! lol dont reckon she would apprieciate it if she saw how big his ears were lol!
"Remember, play fair, or fear play foul, the game resumes on the witching hour."
Ironlord
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Ironlord »

Snowwiewolf wrote: A while ago I was in aikido and I fell forwards in to a wall (it didint hurt that much) and without thinking I said: Ohh nasty
I got some funny looks :) seeing as I'm in Finland
If it'd been me I'd have shouted "Perkele!"
Even though I'm in England.

I've seen Spaced, and the Pickle reference wasn't lost on me. Though I haven't seen Shaun of the Dead.
Last edited by Ironlord on 23 Mar 2006, 00:22, edited 1 time in total.
I am Granitas of legend. MY NAME IS NOT AMUSING!
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

The other night I saw a film called Westworld, about a theme park that went haywire. Towards the end, the main character was fleeing down underground passages from a pursuer (dwarf tunnels). The pursuer happened to be a menacing android fighter (the Automatum?). He caught up with the main character in a Mediaeval themed area.

Recently, I saw a film called How To Get Ahead In Advertising, during which Richard E. Grant mentioned 'a ****ing gibbet'.

On Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? last Saturday, a question came up about the word pixel.
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

Ironlord wrote: And continuing to scrape the bottom of the barrel:

The Bell Inn, Market Square, Nottingham. A fine pub serving fine ales despite the minor handicap of being owned by Hardys & Hansons. One of the guest ales yesterday:

Flibbertigibbet.

I realise this is shockingly poor, but it's hard to come up with anything more...
That actually has dual significance, as Mildread called Gretel a flibbertigibbet during Series 2. Calling her a Gibbet might have been more insulting.

Dragonheart II: A New Beginning was on TV yesterday. It features dragons, a boy who wants to gain access to a dungeon so he can retrieve a sword and become a knight, a character from China, a character named Osric with a connection to the last dragon (the sixth Knightmare book has this too), and John Woodnutt wearing a habit.
Last edited by Drassil on 04 Oct 2006, 23:44, edited 1 time in total.