Knightmare - New PC Game

Knightmare inspired creations from the community.
thejackal1975
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Knightmare - New PC Game

Post by thejackal1975 »

Welcome armchair warriors! Many years have passed since D J Oska's PC version of Knightmare.....

Now, the dungeon has reformed for a second adventure should you accept the challenge!!!

BIGGER... BETTER... BADDER...

Warning team, for this is no game of numerous lives, here you have only one!!!

More news to come as testing is not yet complete. But, the dungeon should be ready for adventure on the 19th July 2008.

Visit my webpage and click on downloads for more info.

Hopefully I have posted this in the right place!!

Cheers,

JACKAL
Naitch
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Re:Knightmare - New PC Game

Post by Naitch »

Cool!

What is your website address, I shall have to check it out...
thejackal1975
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by thejackal1975 »

Hi, and thanks for the interest! I see a few people have been checking out this thread !!! Sorry.... I did add the website to my new profile, but didn't mention it on here. Please checkout the new Knightmare game at:-

www.thejackalsviews.co.uk and then click on downloads. I have just updated the site with some extra screen shots etc of the game which has now been finished and currently in final stages of being tested.... More to follow..... Cheers, The Jackal !!
Naitch
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Naitch »

I'm looking forward to this....
thejackal1975
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by thejackal1975 »

Hi. I hope that many, many people enjoy this game for a long time to come!!

Despite all of the banter, this has taken me at least 6 months to complete including the collection of all of individual sound and graphical clips, there was also the actual screens themselves, the plot and all of the dangers to consider!! It has been a massive operation.

I congratulate D J Oska on his original effort. Having had to re-program the complete game myself including the life force procedure, movement of the dungeoneer and plan a path through 3 levels making it exciting and inetersting at the same time, I know exactly how much work went into that original game!!!! A huge, huge amount.

Thanks D J Oska for the oringinal game and idea, and the momentum for me to think about programming a second adventure knowing that it was possible to complete - even though at times I felt like shelving it !!

I am what you might call a big 'old school' fan of Knightmare, as it was just such a fantastic programme. In my opinion the first three series of Knightmare were the best, and as such, this game unlike the original, is based on just that.

It also has a built in password feature so that once you complete a level, there is no need to restart the entire adventure from the start of Level 1 when you die.

The game has now been completely tested on XP, works fine, and is easily completable given time. I will be uploading it to my website within the next few days, and will post back here with info when done.

I was rather hoping that more people would post comments regarding this though. Any comments are welcome!! as im unsure if people are really pleased by news of this...

Thanks, Jackal (Carl)
Rhea
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Rhea »

Please tell me it works on Linux????
Whatcha wavin at ya sausage?
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

If it doesn't, you could probably run it using WINE...
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.
thejackal1975
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by thejackal1975 »

Hi. Unfortunately i'm not sure if the game will run on Linux, but I would be interested to know about any problems people have. All I can say at the moment is that it has been fully tested on XP, and i've read that it should also work on VISTA.

The game has now been uploaded to my websever, and is now available for download from my site.

** PLEASE read the install instructions carefully. They are easy to follow if you take 2 mins to read them.

**PLEASE also read the game instructions carefully. Again, 2 mins reading will save you asking me daft questions like how do I spellcast ??

I have had the game fully tested by a group of people, some who have seen Knightmare, and some who havent. Basically if it loads and works you can complete it. Knowledge is power....!

I suggest running it on a reasonably decent PC with something like: 1Gb Mem, 2.4Ghz P4 Processor, 64Mb Graphics etc. It will work on alot less, but you'll find it starts to slow down a bit which can be anoying!! You will also definately need sound or it is pointless playing.

Above all ENJOY IT!! I would love to hear your thoughts, and from anyone who has completed it, how long it took you, and how many attempts it took!!

.........BEWARE MOGDRED (HA HA HA) !!!

The Jackal.
Rhea
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Rhea »

I'll try installing it through WINE, see what I can get working. :)
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

Is this another Games Factory based game may I ask? :) Looks good
If the only way is onward how would you get home for tea?? :-/
Rhea
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Rhea »

OK, tested on Linux under WINE 1.0, and it works. The only problem I have was it crashes when you die, but I can live with that.
thejackal1975
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by thejackal1975 »

Hi, and thanks for all your comments both here and via e-mail so far. I'm really pleased to hear that you've managed to get the game running on Linux under WINE 1.0. To be honest I wasn't sure it was possible so thats really good news for anyone running that. :) Not sure why it would crash during the death seq. though... I suspect it will be trying to find the file death.avi which plays the skull video when you run out of lifeforce and cant find it at path c:\program files\knightmare or something ?? :'(

Yes, it is a games factory based game. However, due to many limitations I uploaded the entire game halfway through programming to Multi Media Fusion 2 (MMF2) which is a much more stable platform and the upgrade package from TGF. It is excellent for this type of game and I havent ruled out creating another in the future....

It would appear some of you are being killed off at the end of level 2. I dont want to give too much away, but remember two things A) The game can definately be completed.... so there is a way to do it, and B) check every room carefully incase you miss something !!

I dont think anyone has got to level 3 yet which I think is the best level of all.....

.....just remember, the olnly way is onward THERE IS NO TURNING BACK !!

Any probs, post here or email me at: thejackalsviews@hotmail.com

Jackal. ;D
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

I've got to Level 3.

Some notes on the game: technically, it is fine - clearly loved, playable, graphically fine and the sound and speech are inspired.

I think the problem with the game is that most of it relies very heavily on trial and error; the riddles are easy enough, but a lot of the deaths I've had have just come as a result of taking the wrong door, when there aren't any indications of which door to take. As instinct, I take the right-hand door (unless given another clue, as Merlin dispenses in level 2), and often ths leads to my imminent or later death.

There are also some situations which rely on a very fleet-of-foot dungeoneer to get out of - notably, the first room in level 3. Clearly, the game doesn't give you a fast enough dungeoneer to get the hell wherever you want him to go.

The hauntings are also far too deadly to the touch (as you can't avoid the buggers in many cases) and the life force is also used too much (unlike the TV show, in which it was clearly an add-on feature).

In summary, yes - I do like the game, but it needs to be a little less reliant on luck, and a little more on glory, to actually be a wholly enjoyable one!
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

Yeah, this game definitely violates one of the "Ten Commandments of Interactive Fiction" by not offering sufficient warnings about taking a wrong turning. The first chamber is an example - it's imperative you choose a specific door or you can't complete level one, but you get no indication of this at any stage, and there are no clues whatsoever in the chamber itself, and so when you get swatted in the wellway room, you don't even know why you can't proceed.

There doesn't appear to be a correct answer available for Cedric's first riddle. Maybe there's something wrong with the graphics settings on my PC and the right option is off the edge of the screen?

And I agree that the skull-hauntings are far too powerful. I certainly have no problem with the life force clock becoming more integral to gameplay, but if the skulls drain you at that rate, you've no chance.

I do like the game though, it certainly feels like you're playing the Dungeoneer for real. The balance of the gameplay just needs some fine-tuning.
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.
knightmaredave
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by knightmaredave »

te first one looks good the second looks likle it would take along time to download mine says 1 hr 55mins and my laptops new should it really tahke so long?
knightmaredave