The One And Only - a Lord Fear fanvid

Knightmare inspired creations from the community.
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

The One And Only - a Lord Fear fanvid

Post by Canadanne »

Hello all! Just registered on this fine forum (I've been loving the site for ages). I was 4 years old when Knightmare started but I clearly remember watching from at least 1988 (Combat Chess!) and completely adored it, even though it was frequently terrifying. I've just rewatched all 8 series for the first time since the show ended, and fallen in love with it all over again - I'm amazed at how well it's aged, and I can probably appreciate the humour more now than I did as a kid! Even more surprising (in a good way) is how active the KM fandom appears to be, considering it's a children's programme that ended 16 years ago - it seems to have more of a following than some high-profile current shows I watch. I can't wait to explore all the newsletters, discussions and fan creations. :D

I've been wanting to experiment with creating music videos, so I made one dedicated to Lord Fear! I'm really pleased with how it turned out, I hope you enjoy it too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75xaxtf-8A8
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: The One And Only - a Lord Fear fanvid

Post by HStorm »

Interestingly 'feel-good' song for a guy who loves bein' bad! Maybe a few voice clips of the man in action would've been a good touch over the instrumental phase?

Welcome to the forum though. I'd say the fandom is not very active at all to be honest. It was probably at its peak around six or seven years ago, when Challenge was broadcasting the full series run and the KMVR pilot was released. Sad to think that the goings-on of that time, when we were all getting so wrapped up in nostalgia, are themselves becoming nostalgia.
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

Ah well, being late to the party just means I have plenty of older stuff to catch up on! Thanks for the welcome (and the video suggestion - you're right, the one thing it's missing is that fabulous sneering voice of his).

Speaking of the KMVR pilot, any idea where I can get hold of the full 13 minute version? I never heard about it at the time it was posted online, and the only clip I've found so far is missing the last 5 minutes.
KaM
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by KaM »

Hi, and welcome!

Many thanks for the vid, which I noticed on LJ before I saw the post here. You map the clips to the lyrics very well, especially the Series 6 appearance in the PTB antechamber "flicker on the big screen". I would have loved to have seen a glimpse of Fear with Lissard as Marta. The way he looks round as if caught out when the alarm sounds is priceless.

Apologies about the KMVR pilot issue. The same has been asked in the KMVR related thread too, but it's difficult to trace. Similar to Snowcat/AudioTracker, who has kindly uploaded the first half of the pilot, an accident with my HDD cleaned out so much of my Knightmare memorabilia a few years back. No-one has come forward with an offer of providing the pilot unfortunately, and one suspects it would have landed on YouTube before now if there were an abundance of fans with the pilot to hand. But there are clips (which you may have already found) in decent quality on Something New. At least they help to piece it together.

In terms of fandom: it is very encouraging that, as a newcomer, you see our pool of voracity as a ripple rather than stagnant water. What I'd say is that the supply side is active. This site relaunched this year, content is still being produced (although I'm behind on that :-/), Martin/HStorm and crew are producing excellent work still, and the EyeShield fanzine is still going, even if the end for that draws nigh. The demand side is less active. We produce material for our own enjoyment, and the audience for it is slim. I'm sure Martin would agree, though, that every time a new member joins and is prepared to investigate the wealth of what is on offer, it makes everything that has gone before a little more worthwhile.

There is no index for the site yet, so if there's something you would like to find and cannot, please just ask. It may just be tricky navigation [The Miscellaneous Clips section is currently a little too obscured]. Feedback is always great too. Late to the party, so don't leave early! There's plenty of partying to be done yet. :P
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

Thank you for the lovely feedback! Yes, I think there are lots more great clips I could have used (some of which I'll probably remember later and kick myself for omitting them), but alas there was only so much I could fit into the length of the song. Who knows, I might do another one at some point... I already have several ideas for more general KM fanvids, and now I finally know my way around Movie Maker!
I was pretty amused at how well the song lyrics fitted with some of the clips. I think what tickles me the most is the way the Brollachan appears to be lip-synching to the line "You try to make me forget", which was entirely accidental but rather apt!

I did find those pilot scenes on the website, yep, so I've probably seen most of it now, but it would be nice to just fill in the gaps. I noticed a couple of old download links buried in the forum (and possibly somewhere else) which have since expired, but hopefully someone might still have it to share again.

Oh, absolutely - I'm a little overwhelmed to see the sheer volume of content that's out there, it will take me forever to wade through it all (so perhaps it's just as well things have slowed down for the time being). You can definitely count me in as an interested audience member... I always did consider Knightmare to be one of my all-time favourite programmes, but now I've seen it again as an adult and realised just how fantastic it really is (not just a case of rose-tinted specs), I can say without a doubt it is my favourite show ever. I'm addicted now! And I'm delighted there are equally passionate fans I can share my enthusiasm with.

Thanks! I've been working my way through the various sections methodically (haven't finished yet), and I haven't found the navigation too tricky so far. The only thing I found a bit odd is how the articles about the various video clips (with screencaps etc) don't include a link to the clip they're talking about. A couple of times I didn't realise the video was actually available to watch until I found them all in that separate section!
Eyeshield
Inoperative

Post by Eyeshield »

I like that music video because I think the song sums up perfectly how Lord Fear feels about himself, and you matched the clips to the lyrics very nicely.
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

Thank you very much, I'm glad you think so! :)
BBrooks
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by BBrooks »

Hi Canadanne,
Welcome to the forum, I'm glad that you were overwhelmed by the volume of content on this site because I was too, I discovered it three years ago and I still haven't finished reading it all. ;D It's definately the greatest fansite on the internet. I'm Ben and I love contributing to the fandom of KM because (like you) it's a show I care a lot about, so you'll find a lot of news regarding what the cast members are up to now and I try to keep up with the latest news regarding repeats or the future of the show. If I find anything KM related then I announce it on here.

Great fanvid for his lordness, I'm sure he would be proud of that. :) I would love to see some more fanvids done in the same way with the other character's.

As for KMVR, Snowcat has put all the clips from "Something New" on YouTube now and I did create an article for the pilot on Wikipedia. But the administrator's deemed it fit to delete it some weeks back. >:( So I'll be fleshing out the KMVR section on the official article for KM soon, probably in the next few weeks.

I look forward to chatting with you more on here.
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

Hi Ben! Thanks very much, it's nice to be made so welcome here. (Established online communities aren't always so warm and friendly towards clueless newbies!)

Glad you enjoyed the video! Are there any other KM music videos at all? The only one I can recall seeing is that bizarre Skarkill honey remix that someone created... hilarious and bewildering in equal measure. But I've yet to find anything similar to my one, even though the show would lend itself brilliantly to any number of popular songs.
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

HStorm wrote:Look out for the Slow Hands vid. http://www.knightmare.com/attachments/1 ... lowhand.rm
Oh yes, I did see that one! Great stuff - where did it come from, was it something Tim Child shared? It's a shame the image quality isn't better, but what a gem of a video. I'm really intrigued by the scene of Lord Fear and Lissard in the level 3 clue room, which obviously never made it into the programme. Wish there was more like this! (How I long for that official DVD boxset with loads of behind-the-scenes extras... *sigh*)
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

Hi, Canadanne. Good to witness such an enthusiastic entrance! Although the KM fan community isn't in the best of health - some even question whether it's alive at all - your posts make you part of the solution rather than part of the problem, so thank you. :)

As someone who has used The One And Only for Knightmare purposes, I enjoyed your video. It might have been fun to include Lord Fear's disguised appearances too. There has been at least one other KM music fanvid, but sadly it's no longer online. Maybe Fidjit will upload it again one day.
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

I feel your pain regarding the lack of activity on the forum. The same thing has happened all over LiveJournal in recent years, and it's very sad, as I remember how much fun it used to be 5-10 years ago. I run a community there which used to get dozens of posts every week; now we're lucky to get even a handful from one month to the next, and very few people bother responding with comments. I'm not really sure what happened to everyone. But I do what I can to keep it alive, even if hardly anyone still shares my enthusiasm.... so I'll probably be the same way here!

Ahhh, song parodies! A favourite hobby of mine, though I've never written one about Knightmare, yet....
Strike
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Strike »

Welcome to the board I have been here since late summer holidays and find this site interesting. Nice to still see the odd newcomer on this site! :)