As I step back into the forum community..

A place to discuss public real-life meetups.
Darren
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Re: As I step back into the forum community..

Post by Darren »

Well, I thought i'd also post here regarding a more recent visit to see Kieran. This is now the second time i've been to visit him, and I must say I thoroughly enjoyed the trip! The visit lasted from Friday 17th July to Wednesday 22nd July. It was a much longer visit than the last, so i'll break it down the best I can for you. Can I also mention at the time of posting this, it's 1:16am, so please excuse me if I begin to ramble here ;D

The journey out wasn't so bad, I had to take a coach from Scunthorpe to Doncaster due to maintenance work on the tracks, which will be going on until September. Apart from that, the changes from Doncaster, Manchester and then to Blackpool were all on time and smooth. I actually arived at the station a couple of minutes early! As I stepped through the doors, I saw the familiar face staring out across the station, trying to find me. As I walked through the barriers, I greeted the onlooking man with the words "Are you looking for someone?" or something like that.

After our greetings, we went to the car, where we met up with his mum, who kindly gave us a lift back to the house. After I had dropped off my things at the house, we went straight out for a meal and a couple of pints! What can I say? The traveling made me thirsty, and I was very much hungry. We tucked into a nice Chicken/Bacon and Cheese sandwich with a side order of garlic bread, which Kieran had kidnapped all to himself on his side of the table ;) We headed back home and I settled in for the night.

During the visit, I watched a wide selection of classic Doctor Who episodes, at least seven stories. I think my favourites were The Two Doctors and The Caves of Androzani. The latter, had two great cliffhangers, at one point I turned around to Kieran and was very confused to how they could have possibly managed to get out of a certain situation.. We also managed to watch Quantum of Solace on DVD, which ironically, is a film we went to see together at the cinema on my last visit. We also managed to watch Carry on Cleo on the Sunday, which was rather nice.

But we didn't just sit in and watch tv for the duration of the visit, we managed many country walks close to where Kieran lived. There was one evening that was rather spooky. We left the house later than usual and came across a certain abandoned caravan in a field, which suddenly slammed open its door. Although there was a breeze, I doubt it was strong enough to slam the door open so quickly. It certainly gave me a chill down my spine. I also jumped out of my skin when I heard something rustling in the tall grass next to me. It was all rather interesting though, and certainly didn't stop me from going out the next night to attempt it all again! We had many of these walks over the visit, they certainly helped me sleep at night!

I must say, the standard of food I was provided with during the visit, whether it be by Kieran's parents, or out in cafes, pubs and bars was exceptional! We visited a place called Toast, where I had been on the previous visit, and somewhere that Kieran has been since. There, I had a rather nice Cajun Chicken Penne Pasta, with a tomato and basil sauce. It was extremely nice, if I had to rate it out of ten, it would have to be a ten! The garlic bread that came with it however, came with a whole clove of garlic! Thankfully that was spotted before I choked on the thing!

At Kierans house, we had some rather nice meals, such as a Roast Chicken dinner, followed up the next evening with a Thai Chicken soup, made from the leftover chicken the previous evening. Both of which were extremely nice. I must compliment his mother on the cooking, she certainly does a grand job in that department. I did feel a little sorry that she was the last to sit down to her meal though, but I guess that's just something that mothers do.

On the Monday, we had a half day out in Blackpool. It was nice to do have a fuller day than usual, given the majority of the visit was more relaxing than anything. The weather warmed up and we managed to visit a few shops and have a walk across the beach. It was a rather nice day, I managed to take a few snaps (which i'm sure i'll link to once they're uploaded). Overall, a very nice day out.

The highlight of the whole trip though for me, was trying on the Helmet of Justice and the Eyeshield. However this time, we took a few photos as evidence! Those can be found on Kierans Facebook, but again, i'll try and link a few images here at some point. Kieran reprised his role as the dungeon master Treguard and I attempted to look Dungeoneer(ish) to the best of my ability. Shame I didn't have the right clothes for it mind.

Oh, and how can I possibly forget Tim and Tessa, Kieran's pet cats. Those two certainly amused me for the majority of the visit. Best memories of those two were Tim getting chased around the garden, or Tessa getting stuck in the glass doors or running head first into an empty box of Stella Artois in the garden! All very funny, and highly memorable.

I think i've covered the majority of the visit, i'll allow Kieran to fill in anything i've missed. However what I will say publically, and to him is that he was a great host, he very much made me feel welcome, and I even had him on tea duty every morning! ;) But in all seriousness, I feel now that I have a true friend, and I am certain that these visits will be far from over!

So thanks very much for having me!

Also, we did have a plan to visit Liverpool, to meet up with fellow KM user Mashibinbin, but unfortunately we received no reply from him, and due to the weather, it just wasn't going to happen. :(
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by JamesA »

Is the meet-up for the Expo in a few weeks still going ahead?

Was left completely in the dark with regards to the May Expo so would like to make this one if poss.
James Aukett
Creator of the Knightmare: 25th Anniversary Documentary
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

Yes, I'd like to know this too.
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

Yes, people are still going (though I am not one of them, as I'll be in Italy at the time). Best contact Jace, Anna or Andrew to meet up with others.