Great Expectations

For all the comedians out there.
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Great Expectations

Post by Canadanne »

I'm very much looking forward to the new BBC adaptation of Great Expectations at Christmas. Somewhat inevitably this led me to thinking about which Knightmare characters could fill the various roles in that story. Hmmmm...

For the protagonist Pip, I'm thinking perhaps 'Young Grimwold', inspired by David's fanfic - a youngster with aspirations to improve himself, who is later embarrassed by his father figure's lack of manners. Mr Grimwold would have to be somewhat re-imagined as a gentle giant to fill the role of Joe Gargery. Mrs Joe would of course be perfectly portrayed by Mrs G, and Melly could play the sweet-natured Biddy. Being a violent murderer, Gibbet might make a suitable Orlick. I'm tempted to cast Brother Mace as Uncle Pumblechook, if only for the scene in which he's offered some "brandy" that isn't all it appears to be, and suffers a bad reaction to it. :P

Sylvester Hands springs to mind for Maggy-- Mag-- Magwitch the convict, with Skarkill as his scar-faced nemesis Compeyson. Malice could be the vengeful Miss Havisham, using people to get what she wants. Stiletta could be the beautiful but aloof Estella, object of Pip's desire. Pip's odious rival Bentley Drummle might be best portrayed by Sir Rupert d'Armitage from the books.

I think Hordriss would make a good Jaggers, the powerful lawyer. Not sure who could be Wemmick the clerk - possibly Treguard or Pickle? - but his Aged Parent would surely be Merlin. For Jaggers' housekeeper Molly (whose significance is revealed near the end) I was initially thinking Gundrada, but perhaps Knightmare's own Molly from the Crazed Heifer would do just as well! Julius Scaramonger is a candidate to play Matthew Pocket, being a character with numerous children, who helps Pip (Grimwold Jr) to advance.

There are still a few characters remaining - any suggestions for the rest? I can't be the only one who did this book for GCSE!
shadow6162
Knight
Knight

Re: Great Expectations

Post by shadow6162 »

I did a poem analysis for this in my end of years. Miss Havisham was more cold-hearted so I was thinking more of an Aesandre persona, but that's just my opinion ;D
Many years ago I wrote fanfictions. Now I attempt to write sanely.