Knightmare VHS Capturing

For all discussion and ideas for bringing back classic Knightmare.
MoanaLiza
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re:Knightmare VHS Capturing

Post by MoanaLiza »

Thats a great idea and that's what a lot of people are doing. Atleast then they can't make the same mistake as they did when they didn't tape it before when it was on CITV!
The Forum Moana and chief honey pot carrier!
"Come and take a gander at this bit of ugliness"
SteveH
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by SteveH »

Snowcat, i had problems with dropping frames at first, but i tried switching HD, ive got 200GB worth of HD but its partitioned into lots of drives, and interestingly enough the 120GB drive i bought second (NTFS) dropped all the frames, and it was the FAT32 old 80GB drive which only dropped 1 frame! Also i was using virtualdub and tried reinstalling it after clearing all the settings in the registry and that seemed to help, sometimes it gets stuck on a setting u dont want.
Incidently i tried capping it at a lower resolution 320x288 i think it was, and the funny lines i had sort of melded together and shrank so you couldnt see them, so it looked a lot better. But there were loads of sources saying to cap at higher resolutions, but iwanted to make a DVD out of it so i wanted the best quality! But ive had to stop doing that for a while now, exams :-( But im still not sure whether to cap at a high or low resolution, the lower one was the best quality i could get, but still didnt look as good as the VHS tape! Although this may be the difference in the moniter resolution.

Steve
WhiteDevil
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by WhiteDevil »

Ill try and find out what resolution most DVD players work at...
Those Who Live In The Past Are Doomed To Repeat It
Amorya
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Amorya »

If you want to make a DVD out of it, you have to capture at 720x576 (or 720x480 if you're in America). You can't use a lower resolution.

Amorya
WhiteDevil
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by WhiteDevil »

Cheers, will have to pick up a cable to run from my video to my tv card... Will post back with some results :)
Snowcat
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Snowcat »

Best of luck to you White Devil.

I suggest caution if you are succesful, don't announce too much when the disk is complete.

Apparently, these projects are for personal use only, fine in my book but don't get yourself caught in the trap of making copies for others. The copyright situation is a VERY sore point here. Incuring the the wrath of BVA or rudely antagonising Challenge? even more than they have already been is a bad idea.

God knows, I'm desperate to get a copy of old episodes etc myself but getting shunned by the community at large by going that route is not the game to play.

Drowning in a flood of posts demanding a copy of the disks wouldn't be fun either... ;)
There are but 2 rules in this realm:-
1) He who sees first is the winner...
2) He who is seen first is toast...
WhiteDevil
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by WhiteDevil »

Snowcat wrote:Apparently, these projects are for personal use only, fine in my book but don't get yourself caught in the trap of making copies for others. The copyright situation is a VERY sore point here. Incuring the the wrath of BVA or rudely antagonising Challenge? even more than they have already been is a bad idea.
yah well aware but good to hear it from somebody else :D I dont think i would produce additional copies if requested anyway, DVD burning can be done at a max of 4x so it would take too long...
Last edited by WhiteDevil on 26 Apr 2004, 16:30, edited 1 time in total.
MoanaLiza
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by MoanaLiza »

In otherwords he's saying you could start burning, go make a cup of tea, drink it, watch a whole series of KM, then make another cup of tea and then drink it, then maybe it might be finished. Okay maybe I'm exagerating a bit there but you get the point don't you ::).
Snowcat
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Snowcat »

Yeah, take it from me, 4.7 GIGA bytes being recorded at 4x takes so long that I had a full beard by the time it had finished. That ain't a joke, trust me. 1st and possibly the last time I hand in SAE coursework on DVD... :-[
There are but 2 rules in this realm:-
1) He who sees first is the winner...
2) He who is seen first is toast...
WhiteDevil
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by WhiteDevil »

maybe it'll be a "do-one-episode and check how it comes out" job... Dont want to burn a whole series then it comes out looking rubbish, it might just be the end of me ???
MoanaLiza
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by MoanaLiza »

Will you be burning them with a dvd-RW then? If so you could always reformat the disks then if they come out wrong :D
Last edited by Anonymous on 28 Apr 2004, 17:47, edited 1 time in total.
WhiteDevil
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by WhiteDevil »

Might get a bundle of 25 DVD-R, will work out cheaper but they wont have cases...
SteveH
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by SteveH »

Hi,
Started this thread a year ago - and now got back to trying to finish what i started!

Whitedevel - did you ever get anywhere with capturing? IF so what proggy/resolution/settings did you use?
JoeGrocottJames
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by JoeGrocottJames »

Hmmm, why are you trying to do this? The issue with illegal trading etc. has become a serious issue now and I ask what you are trying to achieve with this.
SteveH
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by SteveH »

Hi Joe Grocott-James ,

As i said back at the start of this thread and the other thread i started in general discussion,
i am NOT looking to sell these on ebay, i just want to keep/preservice/restore the versions ive got before my VHS copies run out ;D

Any help would be appreciated