Re:Bypassing levels *POSSIBLE SPOILER until Friday*

Posts by cast, crew and contestants
Thanatos
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Thanatos »

me wrote: Furthermore, having re-watched my 1994 recording, I'm not convinced Dunstan was hit by a blade.
Having watched it again yesterday, I am now positively convinced that he wasn't.
The Brollachan wrote: Erm Barry did effectively die 3 times: Moving Blocks room (stepping over on a gap), PYCR (touched the joker), Lie Force starved with no helmet on skeleton (dripping tap), Corridor of Blades (blade went through him practically).
I don't recall the block room situation (and I think I'd have noticed), Sumaya's death in Series 6 indicated that a bare skeleton is not the sign of death, merely that of critical ill health (there is one last stage: the skeleton's collapsing and turning green), and, in any case, the life force/food thing wasn't actually for 'real' and all the sequences were added in afterwards, and, again, I'm sure you wrong when it comes to the blade. Perhaps it's an optical illusion - since the blades are round (or semi-circular, effectively, since half is in the wall), if the dungeoneer marginally dodges one the eye 'think' that the blade was rectangular and that its corner passed through the dungeoneer.

Incidentally, if you think Barry's quest was rigged in order that the Bullstrode situation be played out, bear in mind the premature termination of Chris's quest in Series 6 - if Barry had died, they'd have done something similar with the next team.
Last edited by Thanatos on 20 May 2005, 00:35, edited 1 time in total.
"The Tory Party is the cream of society: rich, thick and full of clots." - anonymous
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

If you watch closely while he's in the sliding block room, there's no doubt at all that Barry gets away with stepping over the edge at least twice. It's not by a big distance, but he definitely "floats in mid-air" several times.

I've also studied the sequence when Barry's on the CoB a few times over in the last couple of weeks and he definitely got sliced.

As you say, the "Life Force running out" thing is entirely speculative as the Clock has no real time limit to it and is added into the show purely for effect. It has NO real bearing on gameplay at all.
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

Actually, when we were filmed there was no lifeforce clock. You were told when you went in what the 'colour' of your lifeforce was (green, amber, red). You therefore knew whether you had to pick up food in the room or not (and there is never a case where you are unable to replenish your life force if you need it)

It *looks* like it's a real clock, and that you had a certain amount of physical time. But actually it's not true, they added it in, post production :)
TheBrollachan
Knight
Knight

Post by TheBrollachan »

Hmm blue masking tape, that could explain Barry's very close escape in s7 (well that and the lack of episode time).

One thing I suspect you can answer, is the spell book sequence added in post production, or could you see the spell book when spellcasting. Also in the final encouter sequence was it actually Dunston in the warrior outfit, I assume there was a few edit points.

Just so you know mystara I'm not against your winning quest, I just didn't like the way which the levels were skipped. Although your comments about it being a permenant feature for a future series is a very interesting thought. My opinions about Barry's quest are summaries in HStorm's previous post.
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SmokeHits
Keeper of the original modellers' cast of the Brollachan.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

Spell book was post production.

I understand from Dunstan that he was pulled backwards by someone and an actor dressed as the Paladin stepped forwards. Dunstan was then walked around the perimeter of the blue room (which presumably is covered graphically by the walls at a might higher layer) and then when the Paladin wandered off towards the camera, Dunstan walked back in.

I don't know *exactly* how it happened, since obviously we didn't get these sorts of questions answered, none of us saw it happening and it was quite a while ago. There were no flashes of any kind (all post production) and I don't remember seeing anything particularly odd on my monitor (like a hand :)

All rooms were done in a single take with 2 exceptions:

- Transition rooms where nothing interesting happens, yet someone navigates himself perfectly were shot at the end (for example, when Dunstan walks off the boat in L3). These were done following instructions from TC and were usually something like "follow the blue masking tape" or "follow the actor" (or in one case..."walk on this treadmill"). I believe there were only 1 or 2 such rooms for us, and they last about 5 or 10 seconds. The rooms where Hordriss navigates Dunstan back to the castle are all examples of this, but I believe they were also practiced

- The sound for the joke with Smirky was rerecorded at the end because Dunstan was (and still is) a smart arse and tried to be clever with the joke :)

The only 'edit point' that we knew of were:

1.) When our trophies appear at the end
2.) In the room with the combination lock. Filming stopped for about 5 seconds and a new room image was shown to us (with a zoom in of the lock itself), filming then resumed.
Thanatos
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Thanatos »

One question, Mystara: what was the purpose of Maldame's offering you her calling name?
"The Tory Party is the cream of society: rich, thick and full of clots." - anonymous
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

I've often wondered this.
Some teams sometimes are given an item/spell/calling name that they do not use. Are these red herrings? Things to add a little flavour? Maybe an encounter was removed?

No idea.

Straight after meeting Maldame, we were told by Treguard (cut) and TC that her offer of help was fairly worthless. She would not put herself in danger and would probably ask for something else in return for helping us.
That pretty much narrowed down the choice for what to do when we confronted LF himself (although all being DnD players, we knew what a Paladin was and had pretty much decided that was what it was for as soon as we picked it up)

So my answer is....I don't really know :)
Raven
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Raven »

If they don't win, they don't win, its not the programmes fault. With correct thinking the dungeon would be completely impassible. I think for the sake of the end of season players, they should just let the team get as far as they can. What about the previous end of season teams? Were they given that chance?
The Raven's Labyrinth - Where danger lurks around every corner...
Superspurs

Post by Superspurs »

I found what alan boyd said to be very interesting.
it gave a really good insight as to the behind the scenes goings on and how individual quests were filmed and directed . It did this 2 a much greater degree than everything else i've read on this website so far- even the interviews with Hugo Myatt, D.Learner and T. Child.
Are there any more posts from any other past team members (apart from Ray Lockton and that Irish guy who never got on the show- i've read those). I would find this very interesting.