Anyone - revolving disc in Series 3 and 4

Questions for the cast and crew of Knightmare
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Anyone - revolving disc in Series 3 and 4

Post by Drassil »

How was the revolving disc in Series 3 (the spindizzy) and Series 4 (the Place of Choice roundabout) operated? Was there a member of the production crew turning it or was it automated?
s4t8brett
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Re: Anyone - revolving disc in Series 3 and 4

Post by s4t8brett »

I seem to recall Giles said he could hear the motor before the action started, Drassil. I remember thinking afterwards 'If that was the first scene ...'
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

Thank you. If they built a motorised device, that would explain why they reused it in (every quest of) Series 4: they wanted to get their money's worth out of it.

By my count, it was used six times in Series 3 and eight times in Series 4. Or nine times if we include your team's second chance, Brett.
s4t8brett
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by s4t8brett »

Okay, Drassil, but we recorded the Place of Choice only once. It took something like five minutes and they edited it down quite a bit. The only re-recording was on the Level 1 conveyor belt (we were looking for somewhere to throw the spanner 'in the works' and were passed thr doirs when Giles lobbed it down the corridor with a clank), Ariadne's layer (because we were too quick and Giles was by the exit rather than by the stump!) and the Block and Tackle. Only Giles was involved in the first two of those.

Cheers,
Brett
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

Sorry, my mistake. I was going by Giles' comments:

Giles wrote: 07 Feb 2006, 19:25 "It would be interesting to hear how your team's second chance came about, if you had one!"

I fell off the turn table in the first room. it was nerves really. I stepped on,lost my footing and went off. We went back into the "green room" area and as you can imagine the rest of the team weren't too happy with me. Then the director came in and told us everyone got a second chance and it wouldn't be good viewing if everyone died on the first level!

I'd forgotten about your later post in the same thread, clarifying what happened:

s4t8brett wrote: 28 Sep 2016, 15:47 I don't remember Giles falling off the Spindizzy, although it took around 5 minutes including Treguard's introduction and was drastically cut due to the timing on episode 14; I think Giles' recollection of being pulled up by the producer related to 'throwing a spanner in the works' when he lobbed the spanner across the studio at the last minute, as we were looking for the 'works' into which to throw the spanner. That's when the producer said they always allow one 'Level one boo-boo'. But on neither occasion were the rest of the team annoyed with Giles, or indeed at any other time.

Do you and Giles ever rewatch your quest together, or does it tend to be in your own time?
MindlessAutomartum
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by MindlessAutomartum »

s4t8brett wrote: 28 Sep 2016, 15:47I think Giles' recollection of being pulled up by the producer related to 'throwing a spanner in the works' when he lobbed the spanner across the studio at the last minute, as we were looking for the 'works' into which to throw the spanner. That's when the producer said they always allow one 'Level one boo-boo'.
Why was that considered a mistake? I can’t think of anything else you could have reasonably done with the spanner.
s4t8brett
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by s4t8brett »

Hi Drassil,

I think we just watched it together when it was first transmitted.

Hi Mindless Automartum,

Tim just wanted us to throw the spanner down the corridor; he said "Haven't you heard the phrase 'throw a spanner in the works?' " and noted that I had said it ('throw the spanner down the corridor!'). (He also said "you're a bright team. Listen to your team captain!" and they arranged for us to see Back to the Future 3 at the cinema that evening to chill out.

The problem was I/we were looking for some 'works' into which to throw the spanner, e.g. an opening showing some actual machinery. When Giles threw the spanner, we had passed all the doors and it went 'pitch black' as I said (see Season 4 episode 2). Before Giles went into the darkness, they rewound the animation slightly to try and find us a door!
MindlessAutomartum
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by MindlessAutomartum »

Ah, I see. Yes, it would be harsh to penalise you for that. I suspect there have been many scenes in the history of KM which have been edited for similar reasons.

It was a great quest by the way. Very entertaining, particularly level 3!