David Learner in The Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy TV series

Projects of the cast and crew of Knightmare.
Emii
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Knightmare Characters on TV

Post by Emii »

David Learner, who played Pickle, also acted as the body (but not the voice) of Marvin the Android in the TV adaptation of The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy.
Well...he DID do the voice in the stage production as well as the body, but yes you are right Drassil - it wasn't his voice in the filmed version :)
"The alarm, Master! The opposition's tracked them! Oh good grief...look - Lord Fear's frozen Christopher!"
darkDescender
Knight
Knight

David Learner on Sky

Post by darkDescender »

Yes, David Learner, AKA, Pickle appeared on Sky 1's 'top ten sci-fi robots' last night, talking about his role as Marvin the Paranoid Android. Marvin was placed eighth in the list. The show also featured a clip from Blue Peter when Marvin's producer thought he'd try his hand at Pop Music. Poor David Learner. Being forced to do that awful song. On a side note, this was the first time I'd ever seen Marvin in action. A sarcastic, manic deppressive with a massive I.Q...I think I've found a kindred spirit! :)
Last edited by Anonymous on 28 Sep 2004, 13:43, edited 1 time in total.
"Welcome to one of Mogdred's little playpens, dungeoneer. Play awhile...Play forever! Mwahahahahaha! Mwahahahahahahahaha!!!"
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Re:David Learner on Sky

Post by Drassil »

I can't help wondering whether David Learner got déja vu when faced with the door monsters on Knightmare...
Knightmare: Kid-worthy, Naasty, Inspiring, Groundbreaking, Humorous, Treguard, Mesmerising, Adult-worthy, Rewarding, Essential.
Core
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Core »

David Learner singing or something, wonder what hes been up to in the last few years, what was he singing anyways?
Goblin Fodder!
LordF
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by LordF »

Being a paraniod robot with a brain the size of a planet.
LordF's DA Account
LordF's LiveJournal
Also known as Lord Fear
Core
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Core »

Must be old age lol
Goblin Fodder!
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

Actually, David only played Marvin's body, he never did the voice for Marvin at all. The voice of Marvin was provided by a different actor, who also played Marvin in the radio series.

The singing Marvin... is also that actor. David was, once again, in the suit, but silently so.
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.
darkDescender
Knight
Knight

Post by darkDescender »

whoops. Slight blunder. Marvin was actualy 7th...
"Welcome to one of Mogdred's little playpens, dungeoneer. Play awhile...Play forever! Mwahahahahaha! Mwahahahahahahahaha!!!"
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Re:The man, the myth, the moustache!

Post by Drassil »

Ark wrote:Pickle wearing a sweet-decorated jumper
This can now be seen on YouTube. With no disrespect to David Learner, the comment on the clip probably sums it up for many of us. ;)
Knightmare: Kid-worthy, Naasty, Inspiring, Groundbreaking, Humorous, Treguard, Mesmerising, Adult-worthy, Rewarding, Essential.
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re:The man, the myth, the moustache!

Post by Fidjit »

Bad hair day Mr Learner! The Pickle style was far betterchoice for a fella such as yerself ;D
If the only way is onward how would you get home for tea?? :-/
BrotherStrange
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Re: The man, the myth, the moustache!

Post by BrotherStrange »

David Newton (Wong) wrote: Wouldn't be sad at all. Why not?
Sounds like a great idea to me too! Allo Allo fans often have these conventions, Angela "Helga" Hartman and Richard "Herr Flick" Gibson frequently appear at them in costume!
I hadn't realised I'd entered the lunatic asylum! No doubt one day you'll be cured, you poor creature
BBrooks
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Pickle, the Marketing Executive.

Post by BBrooks »

I recently found this information on David Learner and what he's up to now,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Alliance Corporate Risk Management - News - Industry... - [Cached Version]

Published on: 11/5/2004 Last Visited: 12/2/2006
Alliance's new hire offers a 'hitch hiker's guide to risk management', Alliance appoints David Learner as Marketing Executive.He takes up the position of Marketing Executive responsible for new business

Ex Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy star, David Learner has joined Alliance, a fast-growing business insurance and risk management company based in Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk.

David trained as a professional actor at RADA where fellow classmates included Alan Rickman and Trevor Eve (Waking the Dead).
David then left the world of acting in 1999 to pursue a career in Sales and Marketing and since then David has worked in various marketing roles before joining Alliance this month.

David says of his appointment: "It's great to be joining Alliance at such an exciting time in the company's history.Many people think the subject of business risk management is dull - it's part of my job to disprove that myth and educate the market about risk management - a 'hitch hiker's guide to risk' if you like."

John McLaren-Stewart, Chief Executive of Alliance comments: "It's great to have David on board.
David is appearing in a new Sci-Fi documentary series to be shown on Sky One on 27th September where he will be interviewed about his role as Marvin the Paranoid Android in The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy.The programme is about the greatest robots in Sci-Fi and David will be featured together with other actors who have made it into the top 10 robots of all time including R2D2 & C3PO, Doctor Who's companion K9, Bender from Futurama & Kryten from Red Dwarf.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I could'nt believe it when I read it, but good on David, he's not afraid to try new things and I wish him every success in his new career. He was the keeper of the Book of Quests now he's the keeper of the Book of Buisness.