Actor's best characters.

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.
Bumptious
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Actor's best characters.

Post by Bumptious »

As the title suggests, i'm curious to see which portrayal from some Knightmare thespians we all enjoyed. Here are some of mine:

Mark Knight - Lord Fear (although an honourary mention goes to Rothberry, whom I thought was brilliant)
Paul Valentine - Sylvester Hands
Cliff Barry - Brother Strange
Iona Kennedy - Greystagg
Tom Karol - Bumptious (another honourable mention for Mrs Grimwold)
Natasha Pope - Morghanna
Samantha Perkins - Gundrada
John Woodnutt - Mogdred

A quick note about the last one, both of John's characters were excellent, and both played to perfection by the late, great man. However, for me, Mogdred was consistently the better character over the four series' he appeared in, whereas, by the fourth series, Merlin became rather boring what with alternating between a wizard in distress and a medieval "Del Boy".
BBrooks
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Re: Actor's best characters.

Post by BBrooks »

Mine are,
Treguard - Hugo Myatt
Pickle - David Learner
Majida - Jackie Sawiris

(If you think about Hugo, David and Jackie had probably the toughest jobs on television at the time. They had to be funny, serious, informative and in character throughout. Not to mention also having to Improvise and Ad-lib too. Also having to study and learn their lines over and over because they had to get it exactly right each time because they rarely did retakes, and to make it even harder, they had to work with children too. Some Actor's wouldn't be capable of doing all of that, and would have found the whole schedule too much to handle. But Hugo, David and Jackie were brilliant and gave their 100% every episode).

Hordriss and Smirkenorff - Clifford Norgate
Sylvester Hands - Paul Valentine (The best ad-libber out of all of the KM cast, and Sly Hands was one of the all-time best in-dungeon characters).

Lord Fear - Mark Knight (Can you imagine anybody else other than Mark playing that part. There was a much better understanding of the Character with Lord Fear than there was with Mogdred, who just seemed to pop up in either Level 2 or 3 now and again, and didn't do that much. But I have to say that I did love Mogdred/Merlin and John Woodnutt was an important element in those early series, and John without a doubt was the most Accomplished actor to have ever appeared on Knightmare).

Lissard - Clifford Barry
and
Fatilla - Michael Cule
Bumptious
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Re: Actor's best characters.

Post by Bumptious »

I pretty much agree with all that, B. I didn't include the, for want of a better word, presenters in the list, as I was looking at the guys who played more than one part. But, all three were excellent, especially Hugo. Let's face it, not many people could get the fluffy little Cavernwights over as highly dangerous, bloodsucking demons, but thanks to Mr Myatt's reactions, they are still frightening today.

Mark Knight was, and most probably still is, a highly versatile actor, who brought to life some fantastic characters, most famously Lord Fear. Although, I think the reason there was a greater understanding of his Fearship over Mogdred is that Lord Fear was firmly introduced as THE main bad guy, and the quests revolved around defeating him and his forces. Whereas in the earlier series' defeating the dungeon was the main goal, and Mogdred was just a very dangerous character who would pop up from time to time. I agree with your sentiments about John Woodnutt, he had a brilliant presence and gravitas about him.