Knightmare urban myths

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Knightmare urban myths

Post by Mystara »

MYTH: The Short Cut was invented at the last minute and pushed the last few teams through to Level 3.
TRUTH: I recall hearing somewhere that all teams in Series 8 were told of a potential shortcut (although that may be a urban myth too - clarify, Alan?) before play. In any case, it wasn't "the last few teams" - only Dunstan and Oliver actually used it, and they were both forced.
Ye have summoned me!

From memory (I really have to see if I can dig all this out, it'd probably be of interest to people), our adventurer's code that we received at the beginning of filming told us about a rumoured shortcut. I would assume that all teams were given the same sheet of paper containing the same information.

I should also clarify the term "forced". It was implied, if not outright stated, that we had to take the shortcut or "run for fun", i.e. have no chance of winning. However, we were asked whether we wanted to take the shortcut or not, before the relevant room appeared.

It could be that previous teams had a more realistic choice, but elected not to take the shortcut. For us, it was a no-brainer.
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

Pooka wrote:MYTH: Series 6 saw a complete cast change, with the exception of Hordriss.
TRUTH: Apart from Treguard and Pickle, Motley and Scaramonger also appeared in Series 6, after being carried over from Series 3 and 5 respectively.
And Elita!
Pooka wrote:The Brollachan, an actual monster from Celtic mythology, can travel through solid surfaces, such as walls, floors, rocks, etc., and wasn't fixed to one wall, like Granitas (or any other wall monster) was.
You know, I'm not convinced that wall monsters are confined to one wall (though it's true we never saw them appear in different rooms like the Brollachan). They sometimes sign off with "we may meet again", and it seems unlikely that the dungeoneer would return to the same clue room, so perhaps they are theoretically able to manifest in different walls.
Billy
Knight
Knight

Post by Billy »

A comment on the recent Guardian article:
"My big sister was on it. Youngest team ever, apparently.

*Whisper it* The boys on before them 'died' twice and the producers let them redo it as they didn't think my sister's team had a chance of getting through.

Which was pretty apt, as they couldn't remember the word for alchemy (which is of course, 'Alchemy') and therefore fell through a chasm to an untimely green-room death.

It's a classic scene where 'Pickle' (remember Treguard's elfy-looking sidekick in the later series?) looks on in utter disgust at them for at least a minute.

My sister did, however, get asked back to do the pilot for 'Virtually Impossible' where she was teamed with the lad from 'Harry's Mad'.

So in that sense probably got more post-Knightmare work than Pickle."
...am I being really thick or did this "alchemy" death, erm, not actually ever happen?
GranitasIsCute
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by GranitasIsCute »

It sounds like Sophia's team from Series 6 to me.
Billy
Knight
Knight

Post by Billy »

...that would indeed me be being thick, then :p I searched the site for 'Alchemy' and didn't find any results, but a forum search would have done it. Duh.
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

Billy wrote:A comment on the recent Guardian article:
"My big sister was on it. Youngest team ever, apparently.

*Whisper it* The boys on before them 'died' twice and the producers let them redo it as they didn't think my sister's team had a chance of getting through.
I'd rather have seen Sophia's team win than Ben's.

Myth: Knightmare was created by Tim Childs.
Origin: Several forum members have referred to Tim Childs. The recent Wired article refers to both Child and Childs.
Reality: Over to Glenn.
Fidjit wrote:That's what two people in my class say Childs... "IT'S CHILD, C-H-I-L-D!" After about the 14th time in explaining...
Myth: Jamie Reed MP was on Knightmare and was killed by a spider in Series 2.
Origin: Jamie Reed himself, joining in a Twitter conversation about Knightmare. India Knight, who is a reputable journalist on better days, believed him and tweeted her followers about it, prompting some 80 retweets... and onward it spread. Someone tweeted a photo they'd apparently found of Jamie on Knightmare. He confirmed that it was of him.
Reality: It was Jamie Wilkinson, not Reed, who suffered the spidery demise in Series 2. The photo was of dungeoneer Mark. Jamie Reed eventually tweeted that he was never on Knightmare but I bet some still believe it.
Billy
Knight
Knight

Post by Billy »

No advisors, after being asked "Where am I?" simply ever answered with just "You're in a room" did they? They always elaborated, but seeing how much the four-word phrase gets quoted you'd think they didn't.

"Dickon's got the horn, master!" seems to be very famous for something that never ended up in the finished episode, too (it originates from a 2002 David Learner interview and presumably got cut before transmission).
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

Billy wrote:No advisors, after being asked "Where am I?" simply ever answered with just "You're in a room" did they? They always elaborated, but seeing how much the four-word phrase gets quoted you'd think they didn't.
I think it's just funny how often that's the first thing they say, even when the dungeoneer's surroundings cannot by any stretch of the imagination be described as a room!
Billy wrote:"Dickon's got the horn, master!" seems to be very famous for something that never ended up in the finished episode, too (it originates from a 2002 David Learner interview and presumably got cut before transmission).
Though happily they did leave in the bit where Dickon offers to give Fatilla the horn, and the priceless reaction on Michael Cule's face. ;D
shadow6162
Knight
Knight

Post by shadow6162 »

OOH OOH OOH! I just remembered one!

SHOVEL WITH A P!!!

This was from SpoonyOne's review, where he says one of his favourite spellcasting mistakes was when the advisor spelt SHOVEL with a P. You have no idea how many hours I spent trying to find that death before I thought, "...hang on? Is he talking about the SPADE muckup?"

I'm pretty sure I believed him because he said right afterwards there was another team even dumber than that which turned out to be Neil's team in season 2 with the SHROUD spell. But it looks like he's actually talking about the same team. *sigh* I just believe everything I hear, don't I? ;D
Many years ago I wrote fanfictions. Now I attempt to write sanely.
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

Oh yeah, there are probably about half a dozen myths in Spoony's review alone! The references to CBBC and Mordred spring to mind.
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

It's becoming clear that this needs to be on the list!

MYTH: Daisy can be heard to use the F-word in the 2013 Geek Week episode.
TRUTH: Despite what most people think they hear at first, she actually said "What the heck is it?", which is clear if you listen through a decent set of headphones and watch her lips carefully. The actress Isy Suttie also confirmed on Twitter that she said "heck", the day the episode was uploaded.
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

Canadanne wrote:It's becoming clear that this needs to be on the list!

MYTH: Daisy can be heard to use the F-word in the 2013 Geek Week episode.
TRUTH: Despite what most people think they hear at first, she actually said "What the heck is it?", which is clear if you listen through a decent set of headphones and watch her lips carefully. The actress Isy Suttie also confirmed on Twitter that she said "heck", the day the episode was uploaded.
Ha. It's a good Myth though!
The only way is onward, there is no turning back.
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

I thought it was in fact the other girl who said it.
It's always the cracked ones that let the light in
Gundrada
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Gundrada »

shadow6162 wrote:OOH OOH OOH! I just remembered one!

SHOVEL WITH A P!!!

This was from SpoonyOne's review, where he says one of his favourite spellcasting mistakes was when the advisor spelt SHOVEL with a P. You have no idea how many hours I spent trying to find that death before I thought, "...hang on? Is he talking about the SPADE muckup?"

I'm pretty sure I believed him because he said right afterwards there was another team even dumber than that which turned out to be Neil's team in season 2 with the SHROUD spell. But it looks like he's actually talking about the same team. *sigh* I just believe everything I hear, don't I? ;D
It's the same team who did both mistakes!

This team's quest begins on Friday's episode on Challenge (following team Akash of Legend), and the foul-ups start on the following week's episode ;)
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

Pooka wrote:The page also seems to think this is a different team: "A tram (sic) got to Level 3 but were so badly organized that when they reached the Causeway, none of them could take control and the poor dungeoneer just waited to die." Surely this is also Sophia's team?
That sounds like it could be Alan's team from the same series, who died in exactly the manner described just as they arrived in Level 3.

(LOL at "A tram got to Level 3"!)