Pledging: potential perks and pitfalls

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Pledging: potential perks and pitfalls

Post by Drassil »

I think this interesting tangent of James' from the Jedi Temple Challenge thread is worthy of its own thread.

JamesA wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 21:47What if a team actually pledged to someone like Mogdred or Malice in a vein similar to Jedi Temple Challenge?

Using Series 2 as an example, for instance a team could pledge to Mogdred in order for him to disperse of Ariadne's cobwebs in her lair, only to find that later on their quest they would have deal with the additional threat of a wraith/ghost at a location such as the wellway.

Returning to Dickon's quest, Malice appeared to them in the room prior to the Corridor of Blades. She could have said something such as the conveyor would be moving too quickly for them to dodge successfully, and by pledging to her she could then slow the conveyor down to give them a chance. Only for the team to reach the crumbling bridge afterwards and the blocks are falling down at a faster rate than usual.

A bit philosophical to conclude, but that necessity of a balance did make me think quite deeply. After all, if there was only good in a team's path without the imposing ordeal of any serious challenge I guess it would just make things a bit... boring.

James, as you played a Knightmare RPG character who came to choose the dark side over the forces of good, I can see why this might interest you....

Two teams were given spells by Mogdred (Series 2 Team 8: POWER, Series 3 Team 4: GLORY) which were never cast. I wonder what would have happened if they had cast them. Instant defeat presumably (i.e. power and glory for Mogdred), but it's always possible that something initially favourable to the team may have happened.

When Chris (Series 5 Team 7) became a goblin, I'd have liked to see a scene in which he fooled Skarkill or Sylvester Hands. Alternatively, his demise could have come from being recruited to the Opposition despite his protests. Not unlike the Knightmare gamebook endings where the player is transformed into an animal and must stay that way.

As for Dickon (Series 4 Team 6): the team were strongly nudged towards doing something with their poison bottle and OPPOSITE spell by Treguard (here's the scene), keeping them in the game and on course for victory. Had they pledged themselves to Malice, their penalty could have been to receive less help from Treguard (e.g. a single life force warning, rather than being told twice to "eat or drink something now").
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Pledging: potential perks and pitfalls

Post by JamesA »

Thanks for this Drassil. I'm really pleased that a program inspired by Knightmare has consequently inspired us to initiate a new wave of opportunities and possibilities involving scenes from Knightmare itself.
Drassil wrote: James, as you played a Knightmare RPG character who came to choose the dark side over the forces of good, I can see why this might interest you....

And it recently occurred to me that it's been 15 years since we filmed the last series in the picturesque scenery of the Peak District. FIFTEEN. Where has all the time gone?
Drassil wrote: Two teams were given spells by Mogdred (Series 2 Team 8: POWER, Series 3 Team 4: GLORY) which were never cast. I wonder what would have happened if they had cast them. Instant defeat presumably (i.e. power and glory for Mogdred), but it's always possible that something initially favourable to the team may have happened.

Regarding Series 3 Team 4, I think if they had cast GLORY in the Stained Glass Window room, then a chalice would have then appeared showing them the correct path to take. Only for Mogdred to lie in wait for them in the next room with a rather unpleasant surprise...
Drassil wrote: When Chris (Series 5 Team 7) became a goblin, I'd have liked to see a scene in which he fooled Skarkill or Sylvester Hands. Alternatively, his demise could have come from being recruited to the Opposition despite his protests.

Skarkill could have used his manacles (similar to Series 5 Team 2) or Sylvester Hands would bound him with his rope (as he did with Series 6 Team 4) to confirm that Chris had been recruited to the Opposition in the guise of a goblin. Looking back at Series 6 Team 4's quest we could have had a scene in which Sly was fooled into believing the dungeoneer was an Opposition member, although this eventually did happen with Series 8 Team 2.
James Aukett
Creator of the Knightmare: 25th Anniversary Documentary
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Re: Pledging: potential perks and pitfalls

Post by Drassil »

JamesA wrote: 10 Jul 2020, 20:21Regarding Series 3 Team 4, I think if they had cast GLORY in the Stained Glass Window room, then a chalice would have then appeared showing them the correct path to take. Only for Mogdred to lie in wait for them in the next room with a rather unpleasant surprise...

I like that theory. Mogdred did say that Leo would "be a winner" if he used GLORY. This way he would have been a winner, but only temporarily.

Also worth considering is Series 3 Team 11: specifically, Merlin's warning to dungeoneer Martin not to trust Morghanna. This is curious advice because Morghanna never even gave Martin the chance to trust her. It was hardly her style.

When that line was scripted for Merlin, was Tim Child considering a scenario where Morghanna asks the dungeoneer to pledge, or offers something? If Martin had acquired Owen's dragon magic, would Morghanna have tried to bargain for it (and then used it against him)?