The Traders: Good Or Bad.

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.
Skarkill
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

The Traders: Good Or Bad.

Post by Skarkill »

This issue is a consternt source of debate/argument between me and one of my freinds (also a KM Fan.)

He says that ALL The Traders (Scaramonger, Ah Wok, Bartram & Rothenbery) were unesrcery, un-funny and wasted time in the dungeon (Which is rich seeing as his two favirot characters are Raptor & Captatin Nemnor.)

I dissagree on all counts the traders were all very comical and funny (Expet Bartram who was a little too corny for KM.) They fulliled a purpose in the dungeon & made a nice change from just haveing another clue room.

What do you guys and Girls think were the traders a unesercery waste of dungeon space or were they a good adition to The Greater Game.
Last edited by Skarkill on 12 Jan 2004, 21:16, edited 1 time in total.
It's The Irons For You. LOVELY
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: The Traders: Good Or Bad.

Post by HStorm »

I largely agree with you, although not for quite the same reasons.

When the PTB v Opposition thing was introduced in S5, there became a clear dividing line between most characters, a clear allegiance. There was less ambiguity than there had previously been, which is arguably less realistic. The traders, by maintaining a stance of neutrality, and by being prepared to assist either side in return for a reward, provided a key extra dimension in the scenario, as there was no "us-against-them" from their position.

The actual characters of the traders weren't particularly brilliant, but they were undoubtedly essential for letting KM retain some semblance of a 3D society.

(By the way, this is the forum's 700th topic, so Skarkill gets the prestigious HStorm "pat-on-the-back-for-excruciatingly-lucky-timing", or whatever I called it, award. Well done, Skarky, take a luvly bow!)
Last edited by HStorm on 12 Jan 2004, 23:29, edited 1 time in total.
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by GrimaldineGrimwold »

For me it's a 2-2 split. I like Rothberry and Julius a lot. They're both well acted and have some great lines. I don't like Ah Wok much- I just feel he's too much of a cliche, and found Honesty Bartram easily forgettable.

I think the general idea of traders was good, and potentially an easy way to test teams' skill at bartering with the information and items they've acquired and not getting sidetracked, whereas with many other characters there wasn't too much effort involved in closing a "deal". Julius was the best, for me, and I still crack up whenever he starts trying to buy the Eye Shield from people. Personally, I'd let him have it, but that's just me.
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
knightmaredave
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by knightmaredave »

i loved ah wok especiallzy when sumaya me him:
"wat r name?
"Sumaya"
"well coure you sum where u hear!
thats a classic!!!
knightmaredave
knightmaredave
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by knightmaredave »

oh yes and rothbery (also mark knight character god he was ggod at lord f but was also fantastic as bartering with dungeoneers!!!!!
batram was mean he took that sight potion of poor old daniel for a spell that sight potion they could have done with for the block and tackle fire ball room(as they neede food as well as surviving the fire ball bit!) that was a shame and a bit mean!!!
knightmaredave
LordF
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by LordF »

The Traders were needed when PTB VS Opposition were made because It shows which sides their on as well as the Trader usually gave out some Spy Glasses as well as they were in some of the storylines.

Without the Traders Knightmare wouldn't be the same.

GO Traders.
LordF's DA Account
LordF's LiveJournal
Also known as Lord Fear
Lord_Bob

Post by Lord_Bob »

I have to agree with those sentiments, the traders were good fun, interesting dialouge with Julius, Rothberry, Ah Wok was ok and Bartram was forgettable. At least they gave a little break from people who had a definate alignment. In earlier series they were in it for themselves which was very interesting to watch.  :)
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

I really enjoy the traders' performances, especially Ah Wok and Rothberyy, MK milks the commedy very well for both characters, making them stand out well.
'He's NOT a Dungeoneer, he's a VERY naughty boy!'
dragon204
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by dragon204 »

I liked Rothberry, he sounded funny  :) and Julius was great!
The only thing I remeber about Bartam was when an advisor said to a dungeneer "Wawe the gold under his nose" it was funny, but otherwise I cant remember a thing about him