Post by Illusion »

Do not post here until after 7.30pm on 14th June 2004
You're on the edge of a ledge...
Tom41
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Re:Series 1 - Episode 6

Post by Tom41 »

From now on I won't give a detailed synopsis of each quest in the episodes, I'll only mention the interesting bits.

At the beginning, look closely at the fire behind Treguard - and you can see the box in which they freeze the video of the fire, before it starts moving again. Treguard is clearly standing in front of the fireplace, not in front of a bluescreen, they just freeze the video in a certain place.

Current team dies almost straight away because they turned left, not right - even though Folly's riddle indicated they should go right!

Something I've noticed with all new teams, Treguard tells them "You may carry only 2 clue objects at a time, IF you discover objects in your quest." There has been no team so far that has not taken at least one object, surely Treguard wouldn't have to say that last bit ;)

First team to encounter the Scorpion! Also encounter the Giant "Fee Fie Foe Fum, I smell the blood of a... stumblebum!" What's a stumblebum? ;)

Used the Series 5-8 Knightmare logo/music for the ad break again!

In the Corridor of Catacombs, the floor kept disappearing block by block, revealing a skull!

When they cast the WELL spell, (can only reveal a well, not create one), the spell sound effect decreased in pitch - failed cast! Then they died as their life force ran out, second shortest quest in the series!
Do you think they really had a 50/50 chance of getting the correct direction without the full reward from correct riddles? Or were they already in losing status, so any direction would be wrong?
Usually, right is the 'correct' direction, but the previous two teams have died because they turned left!

Next team encounter a very unusual obstacle, only used twice in the whole of Knightmare!! Strange fanfare too... Timed out in the room with all the symbols.
Knice ending graphics behind the credits. We get to see the Corridor of Catacombs without a floor!
Last edited by Tom41 on 14 Jun 2004, 20:05, edited 1 time in total.
One day you say "Enter Stranger" and big goblin comes in!
MoanaLiza
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by MoanaLiza »

More sidestepping again today and the first "Ooooh Nasty!" and yes we see the latter Knightmare logo again today before and after the break. I noticed with the next team that Treguard for the first time did not appear when they met Lillith nor did he mention to them about how to spellcast, or did I not here something.
The Forum Moana and chief honey pot carrier!
"Come and take a gander at this bit of ugliness"
combuta
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by combuta »

I was quite impressed by one of today's teams: the dungeoneer doesn't seem too much of a puppet - they actually think! And in the bomb room the team was quite quick in realising that they needed to act, and didn't waste time - they just got straight on with directing the dungeoneer out.
Billy
Knight
Knight

Post by Billy »

A bit of history did indeed occur in this episode, featuring the first ever 'Ooh, nasty!' from Treguard. As I said yesterday, I would have thought the riddle was obvious, but they eventually went left and perished in a purposely quick bomb room. Series 6-8 logo used AGAIN at the ad break, hope this isn't a permanent thing as that would be silly. It seemed to me that the new team, who had the most easiest first room ever so far (IMHO) were hit by the scorpion, or maybe it was a perspective trick. It was actually quite easy to go right to the end of the wall and walk forward at this time, as the scorpion only had a limited range. Series 3 removed some tiles, meaning teams couldn't do that anymore. Granitas looked an unusual shade of brown today, although that could have been my TV. And I can't help wondering why they went left instead of right, as the right path is usually the best option. Still, we got to hear Treguard say 'Oh dear' in the most bizarre way I've ever heard: 'Ooohhhh dear' indeed! Another great sound effect in this episode was the sound when the drawbridge folded down over the gap. Loved the way we heard an echoing clank sound every time the dungeoneer stepped on it, too. But what was that under the Corridor of the Catacombs, though? We had a good shot of it just before the Anglia logo appeared, and it looked downright bizarre!

EDIT: Something I've just noticed is that the room in which Team 5 died in is the same room in which Team 6 started- they just changed the lighting and added the symbol, drawbridge and gap. And the series guide says Team 5 died because of answering one of Lillith's riddles wrong, when it was actually Granitas' riddle they answered wrong. I'll probably put all the ones I've noticed in the 'Picky Website Corrections' thread when Series 1 finishes.
Last edited by Billy on 15 Jun 2004, 05:36, edited 1 time in total.
Arcengal
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Arcengal »

The whole "going left when right was right" was a bit sad, really. They probably figured it was towards the (locked) door, then when they noticed their life-force was kinda low...(i.e. the eyesocket was flying towards the screen!) they decided to plump for a door and perhaps slow down the LFC (as seen in other episodes). Of course, they died in the bomb room, so it was academic.

As for the Corridor of the Catacombs, why do they go bloody LEFT? It says, in the adventurer's code, that the correct path is often described as the RIGHT hand path! Muppets.

Oh, and the items from Granitas were unusual. Note the key AND the gauntlet. Taking the gauntlet and the roses would have been interesting. Imagine Treguard:

"Well, team, you've stopped the bomb, but you're now stuck in a room with no exit. Flowers can't unlock doors."

*bong*
Last edited by Arcengal on 14 Jun 2004, 20:50, edited 1 time in total.
4 line sigs yada yada yada
Suicidal_Steve
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Suicidal_Steve »

when they were in the room with a serpant on the wall i noticed a little mistake....when you see the tv with the ppl directing the dungeoneer you can clearly see that the dungeoneer is not on the floor but standing on the rock
Do i Type Somthing In Here Or What?
Porsmond
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Porsmond »

An interesting Episode, my comments

Team 4 Death - I cant believe they were so stupid, what on earth were they thinking, Was'nt it quite clear to take the door on the right hand side.Its as if they never even saw that door because if you watch the dungioneers, they debate through the riddle if they should take the far left door, or the Back Left Door which I thought was odd, and how they thought they were going to get through a locked door with no key was funny.
However maybe they got confused by how Folley was standing, Prehaps they thought that Folly's Left(Which would have been the right door by the way he was standing) was referring to the left hand door in the riddle, and Folly's Right(Which would have been the left door by the way he was standing) was referring the right door in the riddle??? Obviously a crazy thought, but I just find it bizarre why they took the left door, If I was in the team, I would not have asked second questions and immediatly suggested the right door, It was so easy.

Team 5 Death - Slighty unfair in that they only needed the other riddle right to know what way to go, however if you are always uncertain, shouldnt you go right anyway as that is the rule of the dungeon isnt it. Prehaps by the way Treguard spoke to them, they thought it would be too obvious to go right, and thought Left may be the answer?????

Team 6 then, Only just started but handled the first obstacle well, but then again it was easy and I did like the comment from the advisor which went something like

"If we direct him onto the Bridge Symbol, I think that the bridge will come down for him to go over."

Well DUH, What else did you think was going to happen, the bridge would collapse under him or something.

Good episode, roll on for more.

EDIT - noticed again that for the add break, they used the later series logo again with the small little jingle, dunno whats going on here, but cant be a mistake again as it happened Friday??? Its not really something major to complain about, but its certaintly noticeable to most knightmare fans. Personally I dont think most people will generally care about it, but its still odd in a little way
Last edited by Porsmond on 14 Jun 2004, 21:27, edited 1 time in total.
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

Things I always notice in this episode...

The fuses on the bombs burn a bit more quickly than usual.

Richard has an enormous birthmark on his cheek.

Lillith does a blooper when she calls out the name of the dungeonner before Helen's even introduced herself.

One of Helen's advisors has more hair than the rest of the team put together.

My memory may be wrong but I think this is probably the only episode in Knightmare history with two deaths in it.
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.
Purgatory
Knight
Knight

Post by Purgatory »

Folly's riddle wasn't all clear..as already said the depends which way you face.

Also the Corridor of the Catacombs, going left.. well I'm not surprised they did... some of the other teams took the left door with success,
Nice looking skull under that floor..
Plus that new door bridge room looked great.

overall it was indeed a good episode..

But why does everyone need tell us about the new logo being used? just about every post sounds as if they are the 1st person to post about it..... how odd.

Anyone notice:
A team dies from life force drain..just before the eyes fall/role out, While another team is still alive as the eyes role out.. all because they are a bit slow in picking up food they need to be giving that extra few seconds...
My life is an endless purgatory interruped by profound moments of misery
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

Mephistopheles wrote: Folly's riddle wasn't all clear..as already said the depends which way you face.
The riddles always refer to the dungeoneer's perspective. (Otherwise he'd have said "Says MY right hand to MY left hand..." etc.)
Also the Corridor of the Catacombs, going left.. well I'm not surprised they did... some of the other teams took the left door with success.
They wouldn't have seen any of the previous teams. Only the last team from the first season played their adventure after the broadcasts began.
Last edited by HStorm on 14 Jun 2004, 22:03, edited 1 time in total.
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.
FrightKnight
Knight
Knight

Post by FrightKnight »

Hurrah for "Ooh, nasty"!

Treguard was in much better form this episode. I probably enjoyed it so much because there were 2 deaths (I'll see if this happens in series 2, but it doesn't happen in any other series, when level 1 became too easy in series like 5 and 7).

The sound effects were terrific, too. Loved the failed spellcast and the sound effect of the drawbridge made me jump because it was different to what I expected.

Another first- the stone scrape sound that was used to great effect in later series was used in the collapsing corridor of the catacombs.

Just a minor bit of tedium, and that's showing the repeated introduction/closure to each episode. I suppose if you cut costs somewhere in a first series, the footage of an introduction and closure can be re-used. Juast beginning to wonder why I record it...
"A rotting pie! Oh no, I'm dead!"
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

Indeedy, the debut of the best ad lib in the entire history of the show. And this is indeed the only episode ever to feature two deaths.

A seminal episode for me on a personal level because this is the first one that I remember seeing, way back on Monday, 12th October, 1987 - two days before my fifth birthday and four days before the big storm (among other reasons).

Btw, Helen did introduce herself to Lillith before she called her name, so no blooper this time, I think.
Subject to change.
ChrisKmfan
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by ChrisKmfan »

Two deaths in one episode and the first time Treguard said "ooohhh nasty" :)
Just hope the current team have more luck and choose the right paths.
TheBrollachan
Knight
Knight

Post by TheBrollachan »

Tom41 wrote: At the beginning, look closely at the fire behind Treguard - and you can see the box in which they freeze the video of the fire, before it starts moving again. Treguard is clearly standing in front of the fireplace, not in front of a bluescreen, they just freeze the video in a certain place.
The same happens at the end of the episode. If you look above the fire you can see the reflection of the flames moving. I believe it was mentioned that the reason why the same footage/clip is used at the start and end of the majority of episodes was due to filming time.
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SmokeHits
Keeper of the original modellers' cast of the Brollachan.