Series 2 - Episode 3

Purgatory
Knight
Knight

Re:Series 2 - Episode 3

Post by Purgatory »

Makes you wonder why Mogdred was so eager to kill this team off, Tried to get them with the destructor, not sure what his puppet spell was Mont, and tried to grab them.. (Now thats were Fear gets it from)

This episode was full of action, mind they they had an easy ride in level 2, level 1 was far better.. and level 2 looked as good as ever,
My life is an endless purgatory interruped by profound moments of misery
Illusion
Knight
Knight

Post by Illusion »

Please note that external images are not permitted in the forum (see the FAQ). Please add a link instead.

Thanks!
You're on the edge of a ledge...
DragonRider
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by DragonRider »

I liked how when the dungeoneer picked up the destructor and then dropped it again, the middle advisor looked at Treguard as if to say "You could of warned us it was going to do that." :D

The cavernwights are kind of cuddly in their own moth-eaten way......
Elita
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Elita »

Dragon Rider wrote: I liked how when the dungeoneer picked up the destructor and then dropped it again, the middle advisor looked at Treguard as if to say "You could of warned us it was going to do that." :D
I did think the destructor was a bit unfair. "Hey team, look at the clue objects... Oh no, one's a destructor! It doesn't look destructive in the slightest, but have life-force damage anyway!"

Personally I think it was meant to get things moving a bit faster, but still, random clue objects don't tend to damage life-force.
"Gentlemen! Please! You can fight like itsy bitsy babies later. Right now we have adult name-calling and mud-slinging to attend to."
- Dr. Nightmare, Attorney at Law
FrightKnight
Knight
Knight

Post by FrightKnight »

This explains why the series 3 team were so cautious over it. I wouldn't have given it a second thought.

But- oh no! They only took one clue object, I think! Now who would be silly enough to do that? Oh, hang on...

Shame really, they were a good team.

I agree at last, incidentally- series 2 is much more pacey than some later series. No confusing 'sight' potions here, oh no...

About time we saw Mogdred. He's a happy chap, isn't he? He laughs more than Folly. Speaking of which, knice to have the closing end credits without manic laughter.

Treguard got quite animated (again!) when telling the dungeoneer to blow the horn..."Again! Again!"
"A rotting pie! Oh no, I'm dead!"
Tom41
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Tom41 »

If you're talking about the Level 3 clue room, they did actually take two objects - the horn and a very small crystal/gem thing. But there was no clue to tell them they needed the shield...
One day you say "Enter Stranger" and big goblin comes in!
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

Value sprang to their minds too quickly...

Bumptious likes politics and living by the rules, doesn't he? :D

That destructor looked a lot like a TALISMAN
Last edited by Anonymous on 22 Jun 2004, 09:58, edited 1 time in total.
If the only way is onward how would you get home for tea?? :-/
ChrisKmfan
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by ChrisKmfan »

A very good episode this one.

It was good to see Mogdred first when his face appeared in the level 2 clue room and then the way he re-appeared from the darkness on the other side of the ledge, his voice still freaks me out today.

When his hand came to grab Christopher,as Chris started making his way to the wellway,it reminded me off when Lord Fear put his hand out to grab one of the early dungeoners in series 6.

Overall a good effort from team 3,and were unlucky,as they had to guess what items to take in the level 3 clue room.
Medusa turning them to stone was one of my earliest memorys of a Knightmare death just after the ghost one.

Looking forward to tonights Episode very much. :D

"The only way is onward,there is no turning back"
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Series 2 Team 3: A death that could have been avoided?

Post by JamesA »

I was having a think about this team's quest recently - the one where they get stoned by the Medusa. Now, it is a well known fact that the Medusa can only kill you if you look directly at it, so although they didn't have the shield, the advisors (being quick thinking enough) could have just turned Chris to face the other way, then direct him to walk backwards for the exit, hence avoiding the glare of the Medusa.

The advisors would, as Series 2 Team 10 did, take it in turns to guide Chris backwards, in order to avoid being stoned themselves.

Any further comments on this? Ok so it might be 17 years too late to save them, but it definitely would given the whole thing a unique twist....
James Aukett
Creator of the Knightmare: 25th Anniversary Documentary
thelpher
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Re:Series 2 Team 3: A death that could have been avoided?

Post by thelpher »

Could have turned him backwards, but the only way is onwards, there IS no turning back. Which theoretically could be applied to "turning your back" as well.
Nothing ever becomes real till it is experienced - even a proverb is no proverb to you till your life has illustrated it. - John Keats
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Re:Series 2 Team 3: A death that could have been avoided?

Post by Drassil »

In Greek mythology, Perseus was able to kill Medusa not simply by avoiding eye contact, but by using a shield whose inside surface acted as a mirror, allowing him to navigate towards her. (Perseus also had a helmet of invisibility and winged sandals.) Series 2 Team 3 were killed because they should have picked up the 'mirror shield' from the Level 3 clue room, but didn't. If a team is lucky, it can compensate for picking up the wrong clue object when in Level 1, but not in Level 3 - giving them that kind of leeway in the final stages would have made it too easy!

Having said that, Knightmare always took some liberties when it borrowed ideas from Greek mythology. Hence the fact that Leo of Series 3 Team 4 wasn't turned to stone when he stood facing Medusa, and nor was Heggatty when she looked at a Medusa eye in Series 6 (bear in mind that in the myth, Medusa could turn beings to stone even when she was dead and decapitated).

There's an article on Medusa in the Knightmare Lexicon: http://ikm.ezri.mine.nu/index.php?page= ... ew&EID=140
Knightmare: Kid-worthy, Naasty, Inspiring, Groundbreaking, Humorous, Treguard, Mesmerising, Adult-worthy, Rewarding, Essential.
WackerJr
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by WackerJr »

I thought they were told near the beginning (from a Wall Monster maybe, can't quite recall!) that they were on the quest for the shield. Surely this was a fairly large clue that they should pick up the shield! :) It was fairly early on in their quest mind.
Helvellyn
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Re:Question about Season 2 *SPOILERS for when S2 shows*

Post by Helvellyn »

Years since the last reply, but I've just watched this one on Youtube, so I'll wade in...

I don't see where there was any leeway in picking up the wrong quest object, because I couldn't see any clues whatsoever about which objects to take. Even level 3 shouldn't be down to blind luck if you've not made any mistakes in it, which I don't think they did. The only possible exception could've been that they should've carried on through the gargoyle's room to the door opposite the one they entered (it's more to the right), but the presence of the shield in the clue room suggests that they were going to end up meeting the Medusa anyway.

The quest given to them by the wall monster was for the chalice (they picked up a part of it before going down to Level 3). They only got 2 from the wall monster, but I can't see an essential piece of Level 3 information being given in the Level 1 clue room.
Aldarion
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Re: Re:Series 2 - Episode 3

Post by Aldarion »

Moana Liza wrote:(Tom, I hope no one here gets stoned looking at your graphic ;D)
I think "everybody must have got stoned" - 'cause I can't get the file to open
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Series 2 - Episode 3

Post by Canadanne »

LOL at the middle advisor rolling his eyes halfway through Folly's lengthy riddle!