Series 3 - Episode 11

Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Series 3 - Episode 11

Post by Canadanne »

One of the funniest moments has to be Mrs G's response when they ask her what she would do with the horn: "Oh dearie, no, that's my secret - oohh, I couldn't tell you that, dearie!" LMAO!!
Oldboy
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Oldboy »

Good grief! Apologies to Akash and his team in series 2.

This is the worst team ever. I kept waiting for the pain to end but they kept getting through to the next room and the next.
Not only was the Dungeoneer to blame for moving in wrong directions but his team were disastrous telling him to "go over that way" while pointing at the screen.
Uh.. Hello! Direct him!!

Series 3 was a merciless one but this was the team of a hundred chances.
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

Canadanne wrote:One of the funniest moments has to be Mrs G's response when they ask her what she would do with the horn: "Oh dearie, no, that's my secret - oohh, I couldn't tell you that, dearie!" LMAO!!
And on that note, I've only just noticed Scott's bewildered / disturbed reaction to Mrs G asking him "You haven't seen my Festus, have you?" He clearly has no idea what she means by her Festus! ;D
Gundrada
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Gundrada »

Oldboy wrote:Good grief! Apologies to Akash and his team in series 2.

This is the worst team ever. I kept waiting for the pain to end but they kept getting through to the next room and the next.
Not only was the Dungeoneer to blame for moving in wrong directions but his team were disastrous telling him to "go over that way" while pointing at the screen.
Uh.. Hello! Direct him!!

Series 3 was a merciless one but this was the team of a hundred chances.
Akash's Team was a team so special, that they often have a day dedicated to their disastrous quest.

I think Akash, and Douglas' Team from series 3, can both provide a guide as to "How NOT To Play Knightmare" ;D
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

Gundrada wrote:Akash's Team was a team so special, that they often have a day dedicated to their disastrous quest.

I think Akash, and Douglas' Team from series 3, can both provide a guide as to "How NOT To Play Knightmare" ;D
I think you could add Simon's team from s4 to that! ;D
The only way is onward, there is no turning back.
Gundrada
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Gundrada »

pjmlfc05 wrote:
Gundrada wrote:Akash's Team was a team so special, that they often have a day dedicated to their disastrous quest.

I think you could add Simon's team from s4 to that! ;D
Oh, there was some good brainwork there, but maybe make sure that the person giving directions can tell his left from his right ;D

Oh and don;t forget Neil's quest (directly after a certain Akash), being able to spell and write down spells should be a prerequisite :)
Gretel
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Gretel »

Notes from the episode:

Velda's back! I do so love the Elven maiden! (Not that gobby wee shite we get next time, although she's cute enough in her own way)
Hello there Oracle, talking wierdly again are we?
"you should be able to hear from my voice that I'm terribly pretty, now DO you think I'm pretty?"
EvelynMason
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by EvelynMason »

I promise I watched this only an hour ago but already having trouble trying to remember exactly what occurred. ??? Maybe it was too early in the day, or maybe there wasn't anything to really hold the interest, but feel a little embarrassed in saying so. Others will be able to recall straight away what happened this morning, but with the aid of the opening post for direction, I'll attempt a review.

This would have been the demise of the dungeoneer who feel off the pathway, either in Merlin's room, or elsewhere, but misjudged a step and fell into oblivion. Pity really as I thought they were doing well up until that point, and one error of judgement or loss of balance cost them their quest.

There was a room with a Raven ? Never quite understood this one. The Bird isn't a threat, more of an annoyance than anything else, and takes up valuable playing time. Similar to the chess piece situation from Series 1 and 2.

The skull phantom faces appearing on ledges and dangerous pathways was maybe not fair on some of the lower levels. The routes ahead are often dangerous with little room to manoeuvre, without the dungeoneer having added pressure from these entity threats at the same time.

A few characters that I wasn't too familiar with (or better still, was unable to fully recall) since watching the original series such as Velda but even with the help of other posts, finding this difficult to fully piece together. All I can be sure of, is that the Series 3 is so much improved from the first two series. - Introduction of more memorable characters (although not today it seems :-[ ) , better layout and design, more that the viewer can get involved with. Shame I seemed to miss out on so much today - despite viewing both episodes from start to finish - blame it on the early start, or maybe once again there wasn't really enough to hold the interest this time.
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

EvelynMason wrote:There was a room with a Raven? Never quite understood this one. The Bird isn't a threat, more of an annoyance than anything else, and takes up valuable playing time. Similar to the chess piece situation from Series 1 and 2.
Which is true, but not every room needs to have a threat in it. Combat Chess I always found a little tedious (apart from Treguard's running commentary and advice, which made it a lot more tense!), but it was a Level 1 puzzle designed, I believe, to weed out the teams with less potential.

The Raven was used as a source of advice at some points, a little like the Oracle. One team (and I don't remember which) got the third step from its seemingly random words, so it wasn't entirely pointless! (And it's a good effect too!)
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.
Morghanna
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Morghanna »

What a lively episode. :)
Only 1/3 against Golgarach and they were annoyed with themselves for getting that last question wrong.
Told that their quest was for the chalice (which they had already chosen anyway) but all other knowledge denied. They had a slice of luck as one of the items was a dagger and therefore likely to be the red-herring.
Did well not to be tricked by Mrs. Grimwold in the next room. Scott really crashed into the wall on his way out. ;D Amusing dialogue with his advisors as he sorted out his left/right.
Panicked a little bit in the beam-room. :question: Did Scott sidestep into the abyss? It looked like it. :-/ Some teams had trouble with their dungeoneer not moving quickly enough. Scott sometimes moved a little bit too lively.
Amusing scene with Lady Velda, who was in a particularly bad temper this episode.
They were a bit slow to react to the behemoth in the corridor of the catacombs.
The well had been replaced by a (locked) trapdoor. It might have been a good idea to introduce the behemoth again here to give them the hurry-up.They didn't seem to realise that Scott was supposed to drop thru the trapdoor and looked quite worried when he fell. 8-o
Badly mis-timed the leap off the spindizzy and took the wrong door, but at least there was another door there!
They got lucky with the puzzle when Scott guessed "Treguard" but then did the right thing by telling him to add "Ian".
Hilarious moment when they tried to leave the clue room thru a blank archway. ;D Nice wry reaction from Treguard.
Nearly missed hearing the 3rd step from the raven as they were giving Scott directions.
Got hit by a haunted skull on the vale bridge, altho in fairness it would have been hard to avoid it.
They had missed the 1st step (from Golgarach) so had to jump the gap to the 2nd stone. Scott made a great jump, but just stumbled slightly to his left as he landed and he fell into the abyss. :(

Team 9 were one of the most likeable and enthusiastic teams ever to take part in Knightmare. Altho they made several mistakes, they really looked like they were loving every minute of their quest and it was a real pity that it ended when it did.

:idea: We have seen plenty of teams who died in level 1 due to insufficient info from the clue room, but Scott's team must surely be the first (only?) team to die in level 2 because of insufficient info from the level 1 clue room.

Team 10 just reached Kaa's room before the bell sounded.
"I think it's about time you got wise to the ways of real magic. The kind that is borne on the dark side." >:D
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by JamesA »

Morghanna wrote: 14 Jun 2020, 13:45 Team 9 were one of the most likeable and enthusiastic teams ever to take part in Knightmare. Altho they made several mistakes, they really looked like they were loving every minute of their quest and it was a real pity that it ended when it did.
Dungeoneer Scott has also been a past contributor to this forum (even if his last post was nearly 17 years ago)! You can read about his experiences of being on Knightmare here.
James Aukett
Creator of the Knightmare: 25th Anniversary Documentary
Morghanna
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Morghanna »

James, thanks for providing the link to that. It's always interesting to read articles by anyone who was involved in Knightmare. I liked his admission that he had to be blindfolded, as he was tilting his head back.
He was certainly very forthright about the teams before & after his. ;D
"I think it's about time you got wise to the ways of real magic. The kind that is borne on the dark side." >:D
asrl07
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by asrl07 »

That leap of faith was so close to perfection. If only the dungeoneer hadn't taken a forward step after landing. Before the leap, one of the advisors was questioning if he was level. It would have been optimal at that point to move the dungeoneer half a side step to the right (I think he started left of centre of the path before jumping), which would have given him more margin for error on landing, and he would have likely survived.

That team seemed to be given a decent chance of success. Only one question correct in the clue room but a dagger with the clue objects, so obvious what to leave behind. In the beam room, I'm convinced he did sidestep too far to the right over a gap in the floor, but was let off. Too coincidental it cut for several seconds to the advisors at the point they were panic directing.

One obvious flaw with this team was lack of advisor coordination. All shouting at the dungeoneer when guiding in a tight situation is going to be confusing for them. What they should have done is allocate one advisor only to be responsible for the directing once they have agreed where their dungeoneer needs to go.

I've yet to see (or at least don't remember) a team who can turn the dungeoneer in directions other than right angles. There are situations where turning the dungeoneer 45 degrees is optimal, and given the dungeoneer can see the ground around their feet, they should be capable of half turns.