Series 4 Episode 3

Wolfshead
Knight
Knight

Re:Series 4...

Post by Wolfshead »

Yeah, probably the BUT spell would have sent the swordback to Mogdred. Then he wou.d've probably teleported away, the team would've gone through the corridor of blades of Transporter pads and then Mogred would appear again. At this point they'd probably use the TRANSFORMATION and turn into the Bohemoth which would scare Mogdred away. Then they'd have gone into the next room with the Quest object and a skull ghost.

Hey, maybe the skull ghost at the end of Dicken's quest was old skull face.
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

Yeah, who was the "old skull face" Fatilla was referring to?
If the only way is onward how would you get home for tea?? :-/
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

The main badguy I gess...just that back then he had no name no presence. A nice set up for S5 however.
'He's NOT a Dungeoneer, he's a VERY naughty boy!'
Tom41
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Series 4 - Episode 3

Post by Tom41 »

Ah yes, I still have this episode on tape from its original CITV broadcast ;)

Look out for the graffiti on the castle wall as they go down the steps in the eye-shield sequence!

Found a chicken (which they took as food) and a bracelet. A skull appeared (looks terrible on my LCD TV!). Summoned Hordriss by calling 'Malefact' three times, and he disspelled the skull. The shadow of Hordriss is visible before he appears from behind the blue screen!
Gained two spells from Hordriss. One most powerful, TRANSFORMATION, and another which is humble, BUT. When the status bar appears, BUT appears in the spell book, then it seems to get stuck on TRANSFORM... notice the animated sparkles freeze ;)

Next, they came onto a bridge with a sheer drop either side. Look closely and you can just see the blue ledge they put up in the studio for Helen to walk on ;)
Mogdred appeared as an image, and asked if they wanted to pledge alleigence to him. They replied 'no', so Mogdred decided to crumble the bridge - they just got over in time though.

In the next room, Mogdred appeared 'in person' and summoned a magic sword. Look closely and you'll see a small dot as Mogdred fades in, where the hilt of the sword appears. The team decided to use the TRANSFORMATION spell, but it took too long to spellcast, and Mogdred used the sword to finish Helen off! Ooh, nasty!
What they needed here was the shorter spell! Mogdred even commented 'Too slow!' as they were doing the spell. At the rate they spellcast, it would take at least 30 seconds to complete spelling TRANSFORMATION ;)

A feature that was only used in this series, the next dungeoneer is shown 'at the door', on the screen before Treguard says Enter Stranger. Treguard and Pickle discussed whether the new challenger was human or not ;D before giving him the knapsack and helmet. Watch out for Treguard checking the knapsack to see if there's anything in it before giving it to the dungeoneer - don't want any more bananas! :P

New team came into the Spindizzy room, which was the place of choice. Pickle tried to persuade them to choose the sword, before Treguard said that 'The choice is yours'. Almost fell over walking onto the disc, and nearly fell off the ledge when stepping off! His foot actually hit the floor of the studio, but he was probably let off (rather like Akash's team, it would be a VERY short quest if they died here!)

Each team, after getting past the place of choice, encounter Dooris, the weeping door. Pickle told them the calling to start the question session. Scored 3/3 on the true/false riddles, and the door opened.

Encountered Meris in the eye-shield room (same costume as Morghanna from the previous series, but this time not as evil). Meris set them a task to retrieve a green gem (of little value to anyone other than herself), and gave them her calling name, as well as the eye-shield. After a small discussion on whether to take the shield, and examine some of the objects on the table, they took the shield.

When the first eye-shield sequence comes on, the advisers shout 'stop' several times but the video doesn't pause until they get through the door and into the forest!
Many teams think there's an obstruction on the path and make the dungeoneer to stop, before realising it's just grass.

Brother Mace appeared in the clearing with three trees, still speaking Latin occasionally. He gave them information about elf-paths. Timed out just as Brother Mace left the clearing! View of walking up the castle steps under the credits today.
One day you say "Enter Stranger" and big goblin comes in!
FrightKnight
Knight
Knight

Re:Series 4 - Episode 3

Post by FrightKnight »

Kinda ironic John Woodnutt (he playing Merlin/Mogdred) would cause a death due to a dungeoneer casting a spell too slowly, after the previous series had Merlin taking a couple of blue moons to spellcast 'Energy'...

Still, finally a death.
"A rotting pie! Oh no, I'm dead!"
MoanaLiza
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by MoanaLiza »

I believe they could've spellcast TRANSFORMATION in time had they have started from either when Mogdred appeared in the room or when the sword first appeared. Also had they have been quicker in making the decision to cast that spell and during spellcasting. In other words a matter of quicker timing.
The Forum Moana and chief honey pot carrier!
"Come and take a gander at this bit of ugliness"
keke
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by keke »

why dont they just spellcast faster instead of t..........r.............a..............n.........etc
Knightmare game completion:
Level 1: 100%
Level 2: 8%
Level 3: 1%
MoanaLiza
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by MoanaLiza »

Take for example Kelly's team from series 3 when the advisor spellcast the TRANSFORM spell when mrs G went to get Festus in that blocked room. That was quicker spellcasting and the team survived in that room. I wonder what would've happened had they've cast the spell quicker. I think that has been asked before as well as what would've happened in they'd have spellcast the shorter spell.
Tom41 wrote:Look out for the graffiti on the castle wall as they go down the steps in the eye-shield sequence!
I've just noticed that there is another thread for this episode that you replied last to in June last year Tom, where you were talking about the graffitti before.
Last edited by Anonymous on 06 Aug 2004, 17:47, edited 1 time in total.
TheBrollachan
Knight
Knight

Post by TheBrollachan »

Twitter: https://twitter.com/SmokeHits
Keeper of the original modellers' cast of the Brollachan.
PunmiesterWhiteley
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by PunmiesterWhiteley »

While spellcasting couldn't one of the other advisors moved Helen away from the path of the sword?
You remind me of all the other men I've met in my life. All helmet and no brains.

(Stiletta to Mike)
MoanaLiza
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by MoanaLiza »

I don't think that would've mattered as the sword would probably have followed her.
Dan
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Dan »

Moana Liza wrote: I don't think that would've mattered as the sword would probably have followed her.
*nods* I agree - much like the one that tracked Cliff in series 3. A nice strong team to start the series, though, even if they were quite lucky in the block & tackle. :)
MoanaLiza
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by MoanaLiza »

Tom41 wrote:Almost fell over walking onto the disc, and nearly fell off the ledge when stepping off! His foot actually hit the floor of the studio, but he was probably let off (rather like Akash's team, it would be a VERY short quest if they died here!)
I've just had a thought of a somewhat logical explaination. I believe that when Alistair stepped off the disk with one foot notice that he knelt down on the beam with his other leg, so technically he didn't fall off and so thats why he was able to carry on. He would've died had he of fallen off, i.e. both feet ended up off the beam or and he leant mostly to his right or and actually fell off.
morghannasmate
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Re:Series 4 Episode 3

Post by morghannasmate »

So gutted when Helen was killed so close to victory and for such a silly reason! I must draw on a valid point made above that Merlin often took an eternity to spellcast so why should dungeoneers die because of it! Wonder if they just couldnt allow the first team of the season win? I mean the show was in a brand new format, and to give viewers the impression that it was now easy to crack the dungeon would of been the wrong thing to do. Who knows? I surely don't. Classic quest though and ending it meant we got Alastair and his team who spent the entire quest talking over each other- when he got sliced that was satisfying! :P
"Chitter chatter, chitter chatter- I see you spies!" (Lillith series 1)
Billy
Knight
Knight

Re:Series 4 Episode 3

Post by Billy »

Don't forget, folks, that the CITV introduction to this episode is available on Knightmare.com! Scally cackles his way into another episode.

Team 1 (still!) get two spells from Hordriss, TRANSFORMATION and BUT. Except the former is obviously too much for the humble Amiga 2000, as it stops after 'TRANSFORM'. Either there wasn't enough room for the 'ORMATION', or it crashed. I'd go with the first option, as I didn't spot any requests to insert Workbench 1.3.

Beware Mogdrrrread! His floating head appears over the Blue Bridge of Beastliness, and after Helen decides not to pledge to him, he destroys it. But here he is again the next room, this time in the flesh. Quickly, spellcast BUT! No! Not...sigh. "Too slow!" cries Mogdred, and the team are defeated on the brink of victory. I often wonder what BUT would have done...would Mogdred have suddenly sprouted a large behind, leaving him incapacitated? We can only speculate as Team 1 wave their goodbye.

There's someone at the door! No, not Rod Hull and Emu (though that'd be interesting), but Alistair, dungeoneer of team 2. Instead of the old way of just having the dungeoneer walk into the camera, we now see a long shot of them entering the portal. A special effect would have been nice, though I'm still shuddering at the one used for Series 5.

The second famous moment of this episode occurs as Alistair clearly misses the ledge when stepping off the Spindizzy, though obviously not clear enough for a retake (remember, every team gets a second chance). I suspect that it is because of this scene that Johnny Burkhart's Knightmare site lists 'team 3's quest as lasting '13 seconds', as 'the first room took place over a huge chasm, and when the advisor said 'take a small step to your right', the dungeoneer took a massive one to the left'. It then goes on to describe team 1's death for team 4.

Sigh, Dooris. The only good thing about these weeping doors is the neat CGI animation of them opening up at the end. But hang on, Alistair tells him (?) to repeat one of the riddles, and...he does! Doorkis didn't for Helen last week half an hour ago! Thought he wasn't as miserable as Dooris?

Into the Eye Shield room, meeting Malice in wonderland for the first time. "Look, master, it sees!" cries Pickle of the Eye Shield, who appears to have forgotten the entirety of team 1's quest. This would get more ridiculous as the series went on.

We time out with Brother Mace having just ran through an elf path. Running's a good thing to do...it makes you elfy! Ha ha ha! Ha ha sigh.