Series 5

Debz_g
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Re: Series 5

Post by Debz_g »

Gundrada was fab!! Very funny and the end credits for season 4 make me crack up!  ;D
"You think maybe a girl can't do this? Ha!! Like camel I spit on you!!"
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by JamesA »

I wonder if she was welated to Jonathan Woss  ;)
James Aukett
Creator of the Knightmare: 25th Anniversary Documentary
Velda
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Velda »

Here are my likes and dislikes for Series 5:

Likes - Smirky!  I know he didn't have a voice at that
          point, but I just loved him (well I'm a dragon fan
Velda
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Velda »

Here are my likes and dislikes for Series 5:

Likes - Smirky!  I know he didn't have a voice at that
          point, but I just loved him (well I'm a dragon fan
          anyway) and I loved the scenery when he was
          flying.
          I loved the 'outdoor locations' (that was before I
          was to discover that the next series was even
          better).
          The whole lot of new characters for the      
          opposition they introduced, especially Lord Fear  
          and Sly Hands.
          The Spy Glass - a stroke of genius!

Dislikes - Some of the rooms were a bit bare.  Um, I
              can't really think of anything else - my memory
              of it is a bit vague.  I can only refer to the clips
              on this site (let's have more, please!), for info.
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by JamesA »

Clips:
Why not some some episodes from one of the Knightmare traders?  ;)
James Aukett
Velda
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Velda »

You mean there's someone on this site that copies tapes of Knightmare for people?  Yipee!  ;D Who is it?
Velda
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Velda »

I know who it is now - all hail, Treguard! ;D
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by JamesA »

He's the man  ;)
James Aukett
Ark
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Ark »

Series 5 was the series that, IMHO, came the closest to making the Knightmare world seem like a true world rather than a Dungeon in the first few series, or the connected areas of Series 6-7. We only saw Level 3 twice, but they were two very different versions of Level 3 - one was in Winteria, of course, while the other seemed to be more cavernous.

Whether all this is a good thing or not is a matter of opinion, I guess. I personally like the idea that there's a lot of the Knightmare world that we only got a glimpse of.
When you stare too long into the abyss, the abyss stares back at you...
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by JamesA »

It's a shame really that not meany teams got to Level 3 in this series as I'm sure there would have been a few more variations as well  ;)
James Aukett
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Series 5

Post by GrimaldineGrimwold »

--- POSSIBLE SPOILERS OF SERIES 5 EPISODES NOT YET SHOWN ON CHALLENGE WITHIN THIS THREAD ---

Now we're a fair way into Series 5 on Challenge, I thought it'd be a decent time to start asking people what you think of the series as a whole. How do you think it compares to other series you've seen? Feel free to reserve judgement until the end of the series if you wish, or give views as we go along.

Personally, I guess this series fits nicely with Series 4 as Knightmare's main transition. Series 4 overhauled a lot of things, especially gameplay aspects- the Eye Shield, the introduction of "proper" floor puzzles, if you like, rather than ledges to avoid falling off. Series 5 seems to continue and enhance that- Smirkenorff's flights adding to the passive paths. The main change, I guess, is in the characters. There are so many new characters in Series 5, and many of them will be present until the end of Knightmare and form the core of the cast of characters over the following series.

Personally, I like Series 5 for what it heralds for the future. The new characters especially are good, although a few need a year to really bed in- especially Sylvester Hands, who in my view wasn't up to much in Series 5, and whose voice sometimes sounded just like Paul Valentine's voice for Motley! Rayner Bourton is a great addition, and seems to hit all the right notes.

The causeways are a great idea and look fantastic, although they are kinda slow this year.

Sadly I don't think the good elements are enough to make this rank as one of my favourite series. I get bored very quickly with the passive paths, many of the castle ruin locations are awfully bland, and similarly the woodland scenes are often a bit icky.

Oh, and I'm getting tired of Pickle.

Right, that's my thoughts off the top of my head. If anyone has any general comments on the series now or as we see it progress, feel free to contribute your opinions. :D
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
Crispin
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Crispin »

Also the paths through each quest seem more random this time.  It was easy to remember what series 4 was like as there was a set path through the dungeon.
Truth will out. Ah yes. Truth will out and so will you.
Brangwen
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Brangwen »

I'm kinda dissapointed in the lack of 'scary' dungeon puzzles like there were in earlier series. Most of this series seems to take place indoors which takes away the eerie feeling of the dungeon. Still, as long as it has the Corridor of Blades, I'm happy:)
Purgatory
Knight
Knight

Post by Purgatory »

not bad overall.
fair better then s4, not by fair not the best.
Do like the characters, and indeed the quest paths are different than the last one.

just needs alittle more danger, not lot u can do with the outside sections but i believe they are a bit over used..
can't remember if they go out side in level 3.. i hope not.. i love a dark and hard level 3.   and i kinda believe that outside sections should only be level one and early level 2.. i can't remember how much we had of them..

But Fear does become fair more evil as the seasons progress.. at the moment his a bit flat.  But because each quest isnt based around the same thing like season 4 its makes it fair more easy to watch.. can could be watched all that more longer..  Season 4 once or twice is enough really.
My life is an endless purgatory interruped by profound moments of misery
Elita
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Elita »

My general opinion of Series 5? So... bloody... SLOW!!! It's the only series I've got that I find myself fast-forwarding through, the clue-room scenes just drag on and on, so do the causeways. I really miss the wall monsters in the clue rooms too. It also doesn't seem quite so dangerous as earlier series like 2 and 3, maybe because there's the outdoor sequences.

The focus seems to have shifted to interaction with the NPCs characters, while in earlier series it was more "This is the Block and Tackle. Try not to die." If they'd still had the Bomb Rooms from Series 1-3, I think just about every team would have died. "You are in a room. There is a bomb. The fuse is lit. The fuse is burning. It's still burning. It's getting pretty short now, maybe you should move..." *BOOM*) Character interaction is nice and all, but after watching Series 2 and 3, Series 5 just bores me. Except fir the Corridor of Blades of course. Nobody could find THAT boring! The causeways are somewhat disappointing, since without the timer there's not really much sense of immediate danger or urgency.

However, the cast of characters is a big improvement. On a whole, they're much more interesting than those of earlier series, especially as far as the Opposition is concerned. Sly Hands and Scarkill are fab, Lord Fear is a bit wooden instead of the snarky b*stard of later series, but I still prefer him to Mogdred. I also like the introduction of Smikernorff, though he's MUCH better with a voice, without it the flight sequences seem to drag a bit.
Oh, and I'm getting tired of Pickle.
You and me both.

Anyway, despite Lord Fear, Smirkenorrf and (of course) Elita, I think Series 5 is my least favourite series. Too much pissing about, indecision and not enough of a sense of IMPENDING DOOM!!! Bring back the wall monsters! Or, better yet, put the later characters in the earlier dungeons. That would rock...
"Gentlemen! Please! You can fight like itsy bitsy babies later. Right now we have adult name-calling and mud-slinging to attend to."
- Dr. Nightmare, Attorney at Law