Series 5 - Episode 3

Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Series 5 - Episode 3

Post by Mystara »

Pooka wrote: 16 Aug 2020, 19:13 I'd be more inclined to expect him in Batman... considering that he's Batman's arch-nemesis. ;)
That is, I think, the point that Mashibinbin was making. You don't find The Joker in Superman or (to Mashibinbin's mind) snap.

Though if it was an error, it was hardly the size of Jupiter's Great Red Spot.
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

Mashibinbin wrote: 12 Aug 2020, 17:23 The Joker's more likely to turn up in Superman than a game of Snap I'd say.

As our leading aficionado of TV comedy, I'm sure you're familiar enough with 1960s Batman not to need telling what the Joker and Batman's relationship is. Even if Superman is based in a different DC Comics city, I can imagine the Joker visiting via public transport. (That is connected to CITV, but how? Stay tuned.)

I share your opinion: my childhood memories of snap involve special packs of cards (e.g. a Disney set) rather than the traditional decks, and the match taking all rather than the joker taking all.

Here's the clip of the team finding Motley in the playing card. They seem baffled too: with copious encouragement, they name snap only because it is a "simple card game". Presumably they could have had more than one guess.

Earlier this year, Darren from this team revealed some behind the scenes information on social media:
In between takes, we were taken off set while they prepared the next scene. When we came back, the green elf used to doodle all over our clipboards! He drew a mouse on mine....

As for the Joker, public transport and CITV: in last year's Joker film, the title character runs into trouble with three men on a train. One of them was played by Michael Benz a.k.a. the second Mike in Mike & Angelo.
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

Mystara wrote: 18 Aug 2020, 09:30 Though if it was an error, it was hardly the size of Jupiter's Great Red Spot.

Interestingly, since I made the faux pas of confusing the size of Jupiter's Great Red Spot with that of the planet itself, scientists have made note of the width of the Spot decreasing. It's now about 1.3 Earths in diameter, rather than the original estimate of about 3.

Well, I think it's interesting, anyway.

Drassil wrote: 18 Aug 2020, 18:37 As our leading aficionado of TV comedy, I'm sure you're familiar enough with 1960s Batman not to need telling what the Joker and Batman's relationship is. Even if Superman is based in a different DC Comics city, I can imagine the Joker visiting via public transport.

Joker has his own self-titled comic series in which he did, in fact, visit different cities - a notable example being Joker #4 in which he turned up in Star City, facing off against Green Arrow and Black Canary. In order to make a nebulous Knightmare connection here, arrows were also used by a defender of the Greenwood. ;)

Drassil wrote: 18 Aug 2020, 18:37 I share your opinion: my childhood memories of snap involve special packs of cards (e.g. a Disney set) rather than the traditional decks, and the match taking all rather than the joker taking all.

That is also interesting, because I always played it with Jokers as a child. But then again, childhood games always vary according to family, friendship groups, school situations and the individual child. The game of "it" (or "tag") is always a good example - I'm still noting variants in school playgrounds that I'd have never thought of when in primary school myself!

Anyway, none of this (except possibly the last point) isn't particularly related to the episode, but still...!

Back to the episode, I can't genuinely think of any other game in which the Joker has the ability to take all. Practically every other card game I can think of has the aim of losing your cards (apart from trick-winning games, like whist, pontoon or pooka... er, poker). Variants aside, I'm still inclined to think of snap as the logical choice.

The team took a very long time and a clue from Treguard to get it - I'm surprised Paul Valentine's muscles didn't seize up!
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.