Series 5 - Episode 9

GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Series 5 - Episode 9

Post by GrimaldineGrimwold »

WARNING - SPOILERS OF FUTURE EPISODES IN THIS THREAD.

All thoughts as welcome as an incredibly welcome thing that really couldn't be more welcome even if it was called Welcome McWelcome, since I can't think of a good simile.
Last edited by GrimaldineGrimwold on 08 Nov 2003, 17:35, edited 1 time in total.
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
Velda
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Re: Series 5 Episode 9 (Fri. 7th)

Post by Velda »

Lol, well I watched it at 10am this morning so I won't go into detail until more people have watched it later on, but I have one thing to say - great episode!  ;D
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

I also saw it at 10am and I agree - very good! I think it's one of the best. :)

Now that the evening showing is over, I can go into more detail as well. The Life Force emergency on the final causeway is probably my favourite moment. Classic Km tension! :)
Subject to change.
Johnr
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Johnr »

Although you have to admit Level 3 wasn't really a challenge...Clue table...Haunted room (Which the elf sorted for him)...Hodriss with his 2 spells in exchange for the bone and then IIRC the room where they used the FREEZE spell (Did they get told FIRE wouldn't work?  I forgot), followed by a fairly simple causeway.  

;D
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

I think Level 3 was quite difficult - they just made it look easy. The "give a dog a bone" clue required a bit more thinking ahead than usual: rather than the "do A to achieve B" goal, it was "do A to achieve B in order to achieve C". Elita was also clearly doing her best to annoy Ben to make them make a mistake. Plus, using FREEZE to defeat Aesandre is a course of action not immediately obvious. She did say "you might as well fight fire with fire - come, Dungeoneer, do your worst or perhaps your best!" which was a fairly cryptic clue that the team had to work out very quickly and under stress, too. And as for the final causeway - good thing they knew about Roman numerals. :)
Subject to change.
Crispin
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Crispin »

Also during the end credits we had a montage of the winning quest rather than the wall of fame that Dicken and co had.

Also the new team went straight into the woods rather than start their quest with travel (dragon/boat/lift) like the other teams.
Truth will out. Ah yes. Truth will out and so will you.
Lord_Bob

Post by Lord_Bob »

I agree with Malefact, ok there was no CoB which was a shame because I would like to see Ben and co tackle but the causeway generated so real tension. It was a shame that after the break they were gone but I like them finishing the causeway and walking forwards and down the steps. The advisors looked quite rightly chuffed with their performance. Afterwards Challenge said its evening slot is now 7:00-7:30 not 6 so dont forget, I wish they would stop tampering with the schedule though.  ::)
WhiteDevil
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by WhiteDevil »

Its been a while since ive shouted at the TV, even though i knew the result i hadnt seen the program so masses of tension  ;D

Level 3 did seem relatively simple compared to the puzzles set in Series 3, there were 5 rooms? CoB would have made a nice addition, and nice to see the B&T room used, if not for B&T purposes...
Those Who Live In The Past Are Doomed To Repeat It
lordfearisafox
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by lordfearisafox »

Totally agree with the tension factor - watching that life force draining away - yikes!  :o
Oh dear Lord though - please kill this present team NOW!
I am so mean, but oh well...
:-X
I will of course repay you in the...usual manner!
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

I'm sure your wish will be granted quite soon. :)
Subject to change.
lordfearisafox
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by lordfearisafox »

Lovely (yer Fearship)
;) :-X ;)
I will of course repay you in the...usual manner!
Brangwen
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Brangwen »

I'll be honest, I didn't like this episode, I just didn't like either teams that were featured inside this episode. I was very dissapointed with the anti-climatic scene with Aesandre, thankfully the last scene with the life force draining away made up for that. The images behind the ending credits were also quite good.
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by GrimaldineGrimwold »

Level 3 was rather short. Overall, they were obviously a very good team, and thought very quickly in some cases. However, I don't think they were as good as some winning teams, sometimes their thinking was a touch odd, and I don't think their dungeon was extremely challenging, really.  
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

Well, the fact that they thought laterally sometimes is, I think, a good trait. This was an intelligent team. Series 5 is one of the harder series, imo, even if it isn't the hardest. I think they did very well. It's all very well for us to judge every last snippet of team discussion they had but we have the benefit of hindsight - not to mention a fair few more years on the clock! How old were they at the time? Don't forget that.
Subject to change.
Porsmond
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Porsmond »

Afterwards Challenge said its evening slot is now 7:00-7:30 not 6 so dont forget, I wish they would stop tampering with the schedule though.
humn, I've just checked their schedules on the Challenge website, and it still has it listed at either 10AM in the morning or 6PM in the evening next week so who knows whats happening.
please kill this present team NOW!
I am so mean, but oh well...
Oh dont worry,I think I can guarantee you will soon get your wish ;)
Last edited by Porsmond on 08 Nov 2003, 01:13, edited 1 time in total.