Series 6 Ep 11

Eyeshield
Inoperative

Re:Series 6, Great Causeway Combination (spoilers)

Post by Eyeshield »

Yes, that did always strike me as rather odd. Sofia clearly put the food in her knapsack, but the skeleton just crumpled up, whereas with someone like Barry when he was supposed to stand under the water, it survived without its helmet for ages. Just goes to show how they put the life force clocks in later, and so they really had absolutely nothing to do with what actually happened.
This account is disabled.
My new account is TheOldenDays
KaM
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Re:Series 6, Great Causeway Combination (spoilers)

Post by KaM »

Hey. Well, I think part of this goes along with the 'unfairness' debate. Referring to the initial diagram of Great Causeway possibilities, I always thought [read: only ever saw one possibility] that it was consecutive numbers. It says nothing about the build up to that point in various quests.

I think James' breakdowns are very good. Given the nature of this thread, I'll keep my useless two-penneth-worth to those quests. As has been mentioned, they fulfilled their requirements to be able to progress. The peril was still there for Ariadne's lair, and they did move very swiftly in that room. I agree with David, however, that Ben's S6 quest, like Ben's of Season 5 [Winteria], and Julie's of Season 7 [Arken], had a more specified nature to it, and there was seemingly more of a prerogative for it to continue.

I suppose what defines Ben's team's effort: their directional ways handled the causeways better than any other team in that season; they improved with time; and most of all, when they got stuck on that causeway, they kept on going under pressure rather than standing still. Made their own luck with a bit of common sense.

Sofia's team were unfortunate. It would have been interesting if they had blown it in the chamber with Elita and Skarkill - but as was fairly typical throughout the years, if someone did not fulfill their synopsis criteria, so to speak, there was little mercy, especially in level 3. When the timer activated wasn't really going to be a factor - they did not have a way to go. The adversity of the graphic - them collecting food and the skeleton collapsing, worked so well. Blimey, Knightmare is such a science, is it not?
Knightmarian. alphavillean. Marvellian.
Selphie
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Re:Series 6 Ep 11

Post by Selphie »

I love this episode; the tension is great. The mines of gore are so dark and creepy complete with the background music. I liked the themeing of this level 3, it all flowed nicely and again kept the tension up. I was slightly confused by LF appearing in his tights! Not very uber-baddie I think you'll agree... This is a brilliant final encounter, LF's character just makes it.

Part of the reason I love S6 is we get to see the reactions of the advisers more. This team were great for that and because we saw that it's always made me feel more for the teams so I care if they win or loose.

The causeway debate; I think given the team had no clues other than the 2,3,?,?,? they must have been given the benefit of the doubt provided they tried to find a sensible path. I think the prime numbers sequence should have been the correct one but they should have been given a hint about it somewhere along the way (but then I'm not sure how well I'd do at remembering prime numbers under stress!).

This quest wasn't the dungeon in it's harshest form but the team were good and tackled what was thrown at them well (once they'd got past the hall of choice anyway ;))
A revolution without dancing isn't a revolution worth having.
hindleyite
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Re: Series 6 Ep 11

Post by hindleyite »

Loved this particular quest, but I wonder what on earth the second L2 clue object was for? Would the mace have had some magical property to reveal the correct causeway path on L3? Nevertheless, I always enjoyed the ship elements, and o' course, the level three mines were visually stunning.
clairefear
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by clairefear »

Ben's team deserved to win.

Ok they got lucky with the clue objects in level one, and perhaps weren't the most charismatic of teams, but the way in which they dealt with the causeways, especially the Great Causeway of Level 3, was epic!

They generally interacted with other characters in the game very well too, and didn't panic under pressure.
Strike
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Strike »

Well said they had a slightly sloppy start, but got better as the game went well, good interaction, did Adrianes layer well, and that Great Causeway scene is just pure classic.
clairefear
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by clairefear »

Sophia's team. Very intelligent. I like the way they move with such coordination. Clare is especially bright. I think they are one of the more memorable teams from series 6.
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Series 6, Great Causeway Combination (spoilers)

Post by Canadanne »

I see there have been many theories as to the secret of the Great Causeway. I'm quite certain that the combination refers to the number of hexagonal tiles in each row:

Choice of 2 blocks - step on the 2
Choice of 3 blocks - step on the 3
Choice of 4 blocks - step on the 4
Choice of 5* blocks - step on the 5
*(This is the only Causeway to include a 5-block row, I believe. The unusual shape of it seems to be the key to its solution.)

Pretty simple once you've cracked it, eh?! Given the clue "2, 3, ?, ?, ?", they were evidently supposed to notice the pattern and figure out the rest for themselves. I think Tim must have thought it was fairly obvious, when in fact it's - to borrow a phrase from His Lordship - "devilish obscure"! I didn't spot the connection until I'd watched it numerous times, so heaven knows how the team were supposed to work it out under that sort of pressure. They survive because they do, in fact, step on the correct tiles through "sheer blind luck", just running forward in a panic - I wonder if Lord Fear's speech was modified to reflect this! (He's not merely being dismissive of the team; it's actually true.)
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

My assumption was that there was a second scroll or clue giving the second half of the sequence. The problem with relying on the team to determine the sequence given the first two numbers is that two data points do not provide a correlation.
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

I just re-watched this episode (watching one episode of S3 every lunchtime as my midday entertainment!) and I can't see anywhere in the quest where they could have feasibly got a second part of the code. They picked up 2,3,?,?,? in Ariadne's lair, after which they returned immediately to the Cloudwalker and transported to Gore by Nemanor. There's no way at all, unless Hordriss could have given them the second half to the code, but why would he know it, especially after imparting magic?

The sequence they took did seem to make sense; 2, 3, 4, 5... but there was no 6, so they just decided upon "Run", which worked as they were well ahead of the falling blocks in any case. They were much more controlled on the second half of the Causeway, well ahead of the Frightknight's sword and a good deserved victory.

After watching this again I'm convinved that Ben's team is perhaps the strongest team ever to have entered the Dungeon. They had a slightly shaky start, but soon proved to have an excellent dynamic, making smart decisions without being too slow or too fast to do so, with decisions made by the team working together. Ben was a convincingly charismatic dungeoneer who was good with his feet and quick to react, and the guiding was excellent, especially with floor puzzles with instructions like 'inch' and 'pace' (which Illusion points out on the teams page). They didn't have a particularly tough ride, but then again, their challenge was almost exactly as difficult as everyone else in series 6, with some very difficult bits to it (Ariadne was terrifying, even though she probably wouldn't have killed him, and three causeways - not easy by any means). And Series 6 was a difficult series, in my opinion - one of the most challenging of the Lord Fear era.

So I think, all in all, an excellent example of a team, a good way to show how the game should be played, with a suitably dramatic end to the quest with the frantic dash through the tunnels, and a well-deserved win, which they clearly worked extremely hard to attain. Good thing it paid off so well.
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

But as I say, two points does not a correlation make.
rachelesque
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Re: Series 6, Great Causeway Combination (spoilers)

Post by rachelesque »

Canadanne wrote:I see there have been many theories as to the secret of the Great Causeway. I'm quite certain that the combination refers to the number of hexagonal tiles in each row:

Choice of 2 blocks - step on the 2
Choice of 3 blocks - step on the 3
Choice of 5* blocks - step on the 5
*(This is the only Causeway to include a 5-block row, I believe. The unusual shape of it seems to be the key to its solution.)
Thread necromancy (and poster necromancy), but can I just say this is the most plausible explanation and you may have just solved a question that has been bugging me for 20 years or so :)
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

I agree entirely, but I also fail to see how any team would be able to work that one out under the massive amount of pressure put on them during the first few seconds of the final floor puzzle!
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

"And such an ordinary crown, when you finally get to see it and hold it." Treguard seems to have forgotten he already saw it two years ago when Dickon redeemed it!

Just after we see Lord Fear trapped in his pool, does Pickle really say "Life force is getting critical, bastard"? Sure sounds like it!
shadow6162
Knight
Knight

Post by shadow6162 »

No I'm pretty sure he said master ;D
Many years ago I wrote fanfictions. Now I attempt to write sanely.