Channel 4 to invest in Kids TV

Report and discuss latest knews and developments relating to Knightmare.
knightmaredave
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Re:Channel 4 to invest in Kids TV

Post by knightmaredave »

Any developments on this yet?? channel 4 seem to be doing stuff or rather talking about the gaps in Tv this includig the possibility of taking about taking the use f "regional News" which would be intersting as ITV is heavily cutting back and wil probably in 5 years time give up on Regional news and hand t to chanel 4 anyway which wouldn't be a baD THING IMAO
knightmaredave
Gizensha
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Gizensha »

knightmaredave wrote: Any developments on this yet?? channel 4 seem to be doing stuff or rather talking about the gaps in Tv this includig the possibility of taking about taking the use f "regional News" which would be intersting as ITV is heavily cutting back and wil probably in 5 years time give up on Regional news and hand t to chanel 4 anyway which wouldn't be a baD THING IMAO
The quality of ITV news has been lacking for some time now, yeah. (Even North West Tonight has declined in quality in recent years)

But starting an entire new line of programming will naturally take time, and I'd have thought said amount of time would be in the order of two years or so. For both the BBC and Channel 4's teen programming line. They'll both want to open with enough programming to last at least a couple of hours a day with not having to air repeats for a couple of months (so, about 2*7*8 = 112 hours of programming, I'd have thought, although that programming can be filmed in parallel rather than in serial due to different production teams for each of the hypothetical 14-28 shows), and it should be remembered that the UK tends towards, excluding live programs and soaps, filming every episode of a program before transmitting any. (Well, and other programs that are on for most days of the year, but to quickly use Deal or No Deal as an example, that gets filmed 3 shows a day, 5 days a week, 2 weeks on, one week off. So... 30 shows get filmed in the time taken to air 18 [They do still have Saturday shows, right?], which comes out as 'the show you watch today was probably filmed a couple of months ago'
tomyboy
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by tomyboy »

I've heard that the kids stuff starts in 2009!! As Richard and Judy have gone and Countdown will probably go next year, a afternoon slot looks likely!
Gizensha
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Gizensha »

tomyboy wrote: I've heard that the kids stuff starts in 2009!! As Richard and Judy have gone and Countdown will probably go next year, a afternoon slot looks likely!
What, and move the afternoon behemoth which is Deal or No Deal?

More seriously, the 3:30 Countdown slot is inappropriate for a teen slot, since teens are still at (or coming home from) school then. The post-Deal 5:00 slot which Richard and Judy is currently in would work, except that it's only available half the year due to Paul O'Grady, iirc, still pulling in good ratings. Additionally, it looks like Countdown will be continuing into 2009, albeit without Des or Carol, hence why they're advertising for a new arithmetician at the moment.

Incidentally, where did you hear that the C4 Teen thing starts in 2009?
tomyboy
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by tomyboy »

I read it on the internet somewhere! I can't remember where but it might have been Digital Spy. CBBC starts at a 3.30(ish) start and CITV used to start at 3.15 so why shouldn't Channel 4 do the same. Especailly as the 'slot' will also be on E4 and they wouldn't scrap Simpsons or Hollyoaks.

Personally I think that they'll have the slot as follows:
Channel 4 3.30-6.00 (E4 showing stuff for older teens)
E4 6.00-7.00 (Channel 4 showing Simpsons & Hollyoaks for teens)
Gizensha
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Gizensha »

CBBC and CITV's pre-4:00 programs, iirc, were/are aimed at the under 7s. Generally, as you went through the afternoon, the programs were aimed older. In fact, the 3:15-3:30 slot on CITV, iirc, was pretty much pre-school.
tomyboy
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by tomyboy »

That's true.

Maybe if Countdown gets scraped (which it probably will after a series with the new presenters), Deal or No Deal will be moved to the Countdown slot and then the kids slot will start. As Paul O'Grady is only for a few months after Christmas, I think that the kids stuff will start about Easter time when Paul O'Grady is finished!
Gizensha
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Gizensha »

tomyboy wrote:Maybe if Countdown gets scraped (which it probably will after a series with the new presenters)
I doubt that, actually. It's remarkably hard to fail in the 2:30 slot it's being moved to, since the expectations for that slot are so low.
Deal or No Deal will be moved to the Countdown slot and then the kids slot will start.
Why would C4 move what I believe is their highest ratings show outside of Big Brother, again? *checks BARB*

Oh, no. Just shy of 2m at the moment, below all the BB episodes. Still about typical with the stuff they show in Prime Time, though, so I would doubt they'd want to risk mucking about with its scheduling.

I'm not saying they won't move Deal or No Deal, of course, simply asking why they would.
tomyboy
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by tomyboy »

Gizensha wrote:
I doubt that, actually. It's remarkably hard to fail in the 2:30 slot it's being moved to, since the expectations for that slot are so low.
There was a considerable dip in viewers when Richard died (apart from the tribute special & anniversary). Now, that Carol is going more viewers will turn off.
I'm not saying they won't move Deal or No Deal, of course, simply asking why they would.
In an ideal world, Noel would quit and would bring back Noel's House Party!!!!!! ;D