Site updates

Announcements regarding the Knightmare community and website.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Site updates

Post by Mystara »

Howdy,

You will have noticed that we've upgraded the look and feel of the main site and forum.

The forum upgrade has long since been overdue, and hopefully now makes things look a little more sleek. Obviously it now also matches the rest of the main site.

The upgrade to the site's look actually disguises an upgrade of the back-end system to Joomla 1.7 - an upgrade that's we've been trying to make for well over a year! An upgrade of the style wasn't on the cards, but it turns out that our old design wasn't going to be compatible. We've therefore made it look similar to the old design while still being compatible with the new system.

The main intention of the upgrade to Joomla 1.7 was to allow YOU, the adoring Knightmare community, to contribute to the website. Under our new system, we are opening up the ability for you to submit your own articles, run your own column or even act as a publisher in accepting publications for your own subsection of the site. I hope to provide more details on this in the future. However, if this sparks any interest, feel free to get in touch and chat.
shadow6162
Knight
Knight

Re: Site updates

Post by shadow6162 »

wooo i can breath out now :)
Many years ago I wrote fanfictions. Now I attempt to write sanely.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

;)
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

Are you aware that a lot of content has gone missing from the main site...?
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

I am not aware of that.
Can you give more details?
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

That I've noticed:

- Most of the media section isn't working. Pictures seems OK, but Clips, Press and Le Chevalier all give Error 404.

- The index pages for certain sections have disappeared (e.g. the individual series pages and the fanzine index). These contained all sorts of information and were enormously helpful for navigating the site. Now, all you get is a list of attached documents with no indication as to what's in them. That's a real pain if you're looking for a particular article in The Quest or whatever.

- I also recall there being some featured articles, including one about the KMVR pilot, under the Home menu. That seems to have been removed (I assume deliberately) - can it be found elsewhere on the site? I couldn't see it anywhere.
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

Also, just noticed if you click on 'BEHIND' and then try to access any of the articles, you get a 404 page. You can get to them via the submenus, but then you have the same problem of just having the links with no accompanying explanation. :/
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

The index pages for sections should now be available. I accidentally disabled it.

Unfortunately, it looks like the links within each section have not been translated to the new link system. I'm slowly making my way through each category and repairing the links.

Doubtless there are lots of other bugs. This upgrade was always going to be problematic :(
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

Mystara wrote:The index pages for sections should now be available. I accidentally disabled it.
This section is still missing its old index page. The series pages are back, but seemingly not in their entirety - is there some kind of size limit? Series 2, 5 and 8 are all cut off mid-sentence, and I'm sure there used to be more on the Series 7 page (which also has a load of strikethroughs at the bottom for no apparent reason).

Must be quite a pain fixing all those links manually. :/ Let me know if there's anything I can do to help.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

hm, that's quite worrying.
The actual article does indeed stop midway; It's not a graphical error.

Fortunately, I obviously still have the old site, so retrieving it shouldn't be too big of an annoyance.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

I've fixed those series pages.

I'm not sure what used to be on the fanzine page. Are you sure there was a dedicated page there, and it didn't just point straight to the eye shield? :)
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

Mystara wrote:I've fixed those series pages.
Hmm; they still look the same to me, even after refreshing? (The random strikethroughs are gone from the Series 7 page, but that's all that seems to have changed.)
Mystara wrote:I'm not sure what used to be on the fanzine page. Are you sure there was a dedicated page there, and it didn't just point straight to the eye shield? :)
Ah, my mistake - the stuff I was thinking of is actually on the 'Club' page, not a section index! But it does need fixing anyway, as it's been cut short like the series pages.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

huh

Odd. Even if I replace the text, it erases the change when I save it. More investigation required, I think.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

Oh dear.

It looks like the newer version of Joomla now limits the size of a category description to 5120 characters.

It's not clear whether the developers have any intention of changing this or not.

And of course, Joomla doesn't warn you if you've exceeded the character limit and no mention of this limit is made within the upgrade process <sigh>.

I'll need to see if I can find some answers
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

Uhm, hi. There ian't a working prominent link to IKM anywhere in the menus or the homepage. It should be somewhere - as it's got the links to the Lexicon and Chat in it!

interactive.knightmare.org.uk
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.