Interview with Tom Hunt

Any feedback, questions or ideas for this forum and website.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Interview with Tom Hunt

Post by Mystara »

Here you can discuss Charlie Hunt's interview with Tom Hunt, which can be found here.
GranitasIsCute
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Re: Interview with Tom Hunt

Post by GranitasIsCute »

An interesting read! A lot of good insight there into the making of the show.
To me, it looks like he wasn't keen on the later series and maybe that's part of the reason why he left.
For example, he seems to make a subtle dig at the way later on there would be a 'required' winner. It does seem that later on in the series the production team wanted to ensure that there would be at least one winning team, which is never more apparent than with the shortcut, but let's keep that can of worms shut! He also says how David Rowe's paintings were never bettered, implying he wasn't keen on the idea to venture outside the dungeon.
Part of what makes Knightmare so great is that the gameplay is genuine and none of it was 'cheated' or 'tricked', to use Tom's words. Some nudging from the production team is obvious though. The statement about no team being dismissed unjustly could be quite controversial!
I agree that Michael Cule was one of the best at improvising with the dungeoneers. As the show goes on, you tend to see more interaction between the dungeoneers and the characters, which is certainly a good thing.

It's great that we're having a 'golden' age for Knightmare at the moment, with the 25th anniversary of the show last year and 30 years of CITV this year prompting the Challenge repeats. It's a testament to the brilliance of the show that it's still going strong and has such loyal fans.
HobGoblin
Staff
Staff

Post by HobGoblin »

Nothing better than an original interview with someone involved in the show - thanks to Tom and Charlie for taking the time to do this.

In terms of further questions, I would have a rather specific, geeky one - how was it decided where to position dungeoneers in the rooms? The series four floor manager is perhaps the best person to clear up any block and tackle controversy!
Extreme warning team, a Hobgoblin in the level!
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

Cracking interview - thank you so much to Tom and Charlie for sharing these thoughts! The bit about the maggots was my personal highlight. ;D

Great idea including a link to the forum within the article, btw. :)
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

A interesting insight and a good interview! Yes you can clearly tell Tom enjoyed the earlier series more. I agree with Granitas is cute, Knightmare seems to be having a golden age and long may it continue! :)
The only way is onward, there is no turning back.
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by JamesA »

An enjoyable read.

And I'm sure others mentioned in that piece (Edmund Dehn, Michael Cule, David Rowe) will appreciate it should they get to have a look.
James Aukett
Creator of the Knightmare: 25th Anniversary Documentary
CharlieHunt
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by CharlieHunt »

Thank you all for the positive feedback on reading the interview. I know he was very keen to share his experiences, and I know that he shall be delighted to hear that you have enjoyed reading about them when I see him next.

As it says at the end of the interview, you are welcome to get in touch if you have any further questions for him!