Reverse Knightmare

How might you change Knightmare if a new series were to be made?
sozboz
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Reverse Knightmare

Post by sozboz »

Hypothetically speaking if I was producing a Knightmare type show myself I would tie it into the increasing importance of computer game design and creative industries in Britain by making a show where teams of youths design rooms and traps and characters for either of other kids or adults to try their luck against.
Malice's loyal subject
Gizensha
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Re:Reverse Knightmare

Post by Gizensha »

Now that might be interesting. I presume you're thinking of an Apprentice/Beat the Boss style show which challenges kids to design interesting rooms for a hypothetical Knightmare revival. Personally, if I were doing that, I'd do it as two shows tied to each other. The one you described having the best rooms from (not just in terms of deadliness, though) it being used in the hypothetical Knightmare revival. The only analogy to this I can think of is the way Doctor Who is followed by the Doctor Who Confidential making of documentary, or how Echo Beach is preceded by the Moving Wallpaper making of mockumentary/drama. If the legal issues involved in doing such are feasibly navigable.

...Although, sadly, I'm not convinced computer game design is of increasing importance in Britain, since pretty much all the British developers with a staff of greater than 5 have either shut down or been bought out by foreign game design companies (Which, although provides jobs to people with the relevent skills in the UK I struggle to consider it a British industry since it's mostly owned by America. Outside of Llamasoft and Introversion, anyway, which have a combined staff of five, I believe, and are hardly major players (although both have a cult following)
Ironlord
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Ironlord »

Gizensha wrote: Outside of Llamasoft and Introversion, anyway, which have a combined staff of five, I believe, and are hardly major players (although both have a cult following)
All hail the mighty Jeff Minter!

http://alexcam.paris.free.fr/images/Min ... kplace.JPG

(This is me in 20 years... except I'll be a lot more grey)
I am Granitas of legend. MY NAME IS NOT AMUSING!
sozboz
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by sozboz »

Yeah, a bit like beat the boss with an emphasis on creative industries.
A lot of game designers and animators are UK based which is what I meant.
Malice's loyal subject
sozboz
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by sozboz »

And Mr. Minter is, of course, a very special person.
Malice's loyal subject
Monster
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Monster »

The idea puts me in mind of Dungeon Keeper..

And even then, the Dungeon Advisor always made me think of Treguard, right from the very first, "Welcome, Keeper.."
"Where am I?"
"... You tell us.."