Post apocolyptic KNightmare could work

How might you change Knightmare if a new series were to be made?
segaz
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post apocolyptic KNightmare could work

Post by segaz »

I'd like to see a new season where lord fear has 'won', castle Treyguard lies in ruins, and by and large, the entire land is under his control.

The castle lair could be replaced with broken rubble and mist, along with a dark purple night 'sky', or something with dark red storm clouds. Treyguard, visibly battered, bruised and weary, along with Majida provide the resistance still, sending out dungeoneers from their ruins to try regain each quest item, the narrative being that the crown, cup, sword and shield are needed to restore balance.

Lord Fear ruling the land would mean much more guards around, but some members of townsfolk are part of the resistance.

Would make it a little bit more interesting, perhaps smirkenorff is slaving for the opposition, so for each flight he asks you to wear a disguise. Or maybe he is a rebel, and as you ride on him, you can direct him to fire at the enemy.

No need for the spyglass as such, instead make the dungeoneers carry a powder that they can sprinkle into pools to show them what Fear is up to.

Skits could involve having to march like fears soldiers to avoid detection, sticking up for Sylvester when he is about to be punished, identifying the witch queen in disguise, etc...

Whether or not the teams aquire all the items, Fear is defeated (temporarily) at the end. Perhaps the next season HE goes into hiding, or you take part in a war for control perhaps....

I'd even like to shake things up even more, perhaps Treyguard has to keep on the move constantly, along with the advisors, moving from set to set, keeping still, or even having some of Lord Fears slower soldiers confront the advisors and they have to outwit them and send them on the wrong path. Perhaps the dungeoneer can use items to save the advisors for a change....
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Re: Post-apocalyptic Knightmare could work

Post by Drassil »

Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting, segaz.

In both Knightmare VR (2004) and the YouTube Geek Week 2013 episode, there are hints that Lord Fear has taken over, only he doesn't seem to be doing much with his power. It would be interesting to have him and his minions presented as a controlling force, rather than just a thorn in the side of Treguard & co.

segaz wrote: 28 Sep 2019, 21:20 Would make it a little bit more interesting, perhaps smirkenorff is slaving for the opposition, so for each flight he asks you to wear a disguise. Or maybe he is a rebel, and as you ride on him, you can direct him to fire at the enemy.

Skits could involve having to march like fears soldiers to avoid detection, sticking up for Sylvester when he is about to be punished, identifying the witch queen in disguise, etc...

I like these ideas. Dungeoneer disguises were a recurring theme in Series 1-8, e.g. Daniel in Series 8 as Lord Fear, Chris in Series 6 as a witch, Chris in Series 5 as a goblin. We never got to see Series 5 Chris do much with his goblin guise (except trying to explain it away when he met Brother Mace), so it would be fun for the idea to be explored more.

Given the real world we live in now, and Tim Child's penchant for political satire, it could also be interesting to have scenes where contestants, and watchers, are forced to put themselves in the shoes of characters they regard as opposition.

segaz wrote: 28 Sep 2019, 21:20 No need for the spyglass as such, instead make the dungeoneers carry a powder that they can sprinkle into pools to show them what Fear is up to.

I like this idea too. Spy scenes as a device were useful but I found spyglasses themselves repetitive. My only question would be: would the spying pool scenes stop by themselves or would the dungeoneer have to stop them somehow, as the equivalent of putting down the spyglass to avoid life force damage?

segaz wrote: 28 Sep 2019, 21:20 I'd even like to shake things up even more, perhaps Treyguard has to keep on the move constantly, along with the advisors, moving from set to set, keeping still, or even having some of Lord Fears slower soldiers confront the advisors and they have to outwit them and send them on the wrong path. Perhaps the dungeoneer can use items to save the advisors for a change....

Have you seen any of the CBBC gameshow Last Commanders (also on iPlayer)? There's an article about it on the homepage. Partly inspired by Knightmare, it has a story arc that occasionally involves the 'host' Skye directly. In one episode of the latest series, she'd been kidnapped and had to be rescued by the contestants.
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Post apocolyptic KNightmare could work

Post by HStorm »

I'd like to see a new season where lord fear has 'won', castle Treyguard lies in ruins, and by and large, the entire land is under his control.
Hi segaz.

You might be interested in The Techno Colour Tales, available here; -

https://dunshelmplayers.wordpress.com/d ... our-tales/

The series sets up a full-length sequel play that is indeed set in an Orwellian-type 'dystopian future' of the Knightmare universe, although at present, that's in development limbo due to sheer lack of available time to record and mix it. It could still be made, mind you. It was originally going to be called Knightmare-Eighty-Four, but we came to realise that it suggested other things. The working title now is Tech-Topia.
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.