Knightmare VR Demonstrator [re-post]

A place to discuss Knightmare-VR, a planned revivial of Knightmare
beveryafraid
Creator of Knightmare

Re:Knightmare VR Demonstrator [re-post]

Post by beveryafraid »

New pictures, new scenes, new monsters appearing on the development site at Televirtual.
Check them out.
Happy Easter

BVA
play the endgame and play only to win
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

I like those - particularly the picture featuring the Wall Monster (I'm guessing that's what it is).

Happy Easter to you, too, sir. Many thanks.
Subject to change.
Skarkill
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Skarkill »

Yes I would think it's probably a Wall Monster.

I see Majida's Dad also appers again. ;D ;D ;D
It's The Irons For You. LOVELY
WhiteDevil
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by WhiteDevil »

Cool BVA ;D

I like the wallmonster too, also the texturing that you've done is very clever. KM VR is looking great -
Those Who Live In The Past Are Doomed To Repeat It
MPK
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by MPK »

Very cool!

As for name suggestions how about Baz, in homage to Barry! Or Joolz for Julie, perhaps!
Once again returning... and once again going just as fast!
http://www.abadeducation.com
Lowebo
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Lowebo »

BVA, sir, majester (BFG mention there!), i think you should contact the second great one (Barry!) and see if he would be interested in appearing!! (Character or Dungey-Person) As far as a name goes - Tiny's Fear? (Tiny = last hobgoblin, Fear = obvious!) Looking superb, any news on final presentation is?
One time willowthewisp... Never in the shadows.
MoanaLiza
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by MoanaLiza »

Ahem ahem, I think you know what Illusion thinks about Graphics in sigs. Just thought I'd warn you :) I do like the pic though. Anyway back to the subject!
Last edited by Anonymous on 15 Apr 2004, 19:24, edited 1 time in total.
The Forum Moana and chief honey pot carrier!
"Come and take a gander at this bit of ugliness"
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

The signature is rather unnerving because it's true. :S
Subject to change.
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

Nice looking pictures there, and indeed, that sig should not be there, the guy with the beard is lookin' at me funny.....
Last edited by Kieran on 16 Apr 2004, 19:34, edited 1 time in total.
'He's NOT a Dungeoneer, he's a VERY naughty boy!'
KFan
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Re: Knightmare VR Demonstrator [re-post]

Post by KFan »

beveryafraid wrote: A few comments on your comments.
There's no decision made about Hugo's contribution as to live action (real) or virtual.
What we are trying to build here is a demonstrator of a production system which can produce Knightmare programmes all over the world. And even Hugo can't be everywhere at once.
So in some cases he could attend in person - in others - he'd be present in-system.
Yes of course let us have ideas as to names of goblins.
And any other ideas you have for new monsters?
The system we have built is also capable of machinema - or machinima as the Americans term it. Google it and you'll get the picture.

best wishes

BVA
Personally I think you are trying to go too large-scale with this. Remember how much Knightmare means to us fans, and it is starting to look like Knightmare is being bought back as a small part of a large scale operation. You had a massive success with Knightmare, and its a shame it ever came to an end for no practical reason, however please please don't include such a classic show in one of your 21st century productions. Yes it may well be a success, but if it doesn't stay true in many aspects to the original, why call it Knightmare etc? Its a quick start way to get viewers interested granted, but if you are going to bring back such a classic show, why not at least make it like the original?

I don't mean to be rude here, but why can't you see that we didn't watch Knightmare for its graphics or the leading technology it used, but for the show itself, the suspense, the small things LIKE the dungoneer being blindfolded. Surely without these elements, Knightmare is not Knightmare.

KM_Fan
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

I think you may be looking at this back-to-front, KM_Fan. T'Virtual didn't invent the project and then decide to stamp the Knightmare brand name on it. They decided that as there was so much demand for KM, they should bring it back and then had to look for a way to make it that would be commercially viable in the modern (post-Harry Potter, post-Star Wars Special Edition) era.
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.
beveryafraid
Creator of Knightmare

Post by beveryafraid »

Thanks for all suggestions and comments in this thread.
Grolsch would be a good goblin name if the lager company didn't sue us.....
Ed Welch wrote the original Knightmare theme, but I probably can't afford to use it again.
Trouble is its contracted on 1986 terms, which means very time a Knightmare series is sold to say - Challenge - Ed earns more than most of the cast.
It's not his fault - it's just contracts.
Please don't get frustrated when you encounter comments from a KM fan who wants everything as it was.
I don't, as it's actually very flattering that they/you liked it so much. Also when something's a landmark in you're childhood, and revision can seem like sacrilege.
BTW, there's nothing new about making KM a global media brand.
In 1990 we sold versions to France and Spain, and almost to Germany. Would have sold to the US with 'Lords of the Game' but they weren't prepared to cope with blue-screen issues with less lines and NTSC.

Incidentally if we had sold to Germany, Knightmare would not have finished. We could have afforded to carry on making programmes ourselves and sold them on the open market - as opposed to commissioned market.
The helmet blindfold and the crude compositing were great at the time, but torturously slow.
Many of you in the threads wonder why so many good, bright teams perished by making such dreadful mistakes?
You should understand that with up to an hour and a half to wait between scenes (often lasting only 1 min 40 secs) it was almost impossible to maintain good concentration. When you watch a 24 miunute show, you are often watching (particularly in series 3/4) up to 2 days of work & play.

best wishes

BVA
play the endgame and play only to win
TheBrollachan
Knight
Knight

Post by TheBrollachan »

Personally I would like to see some of the rooms from the early series (1-3) taken in to the digital era, and transform them to make them look more realistic. The corridor of blades would be nice to see again, as that was a popular killer.

I like the look of the new 'Slice Me Dice Me' challenge. If you struggle for new characters names, there are some good member names on this board.

Shame that the old contract would make it too expensive to use the original theme. How about using a variation of the title sequence, but have the sequence computer generated (the knight is version shown in the clips).
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SmokeHits
Keeper of the original modellers' cast of the Brollachan.
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

'Ed Welch wrote the original Knightmare theme, but I probably can't afford to use it again.'

Would you be able to make a variation of that, or would that also require some sort of contract with Mr Welch?
'He's NOT a Dungeoneer, he's a VERY naughty boy!'
Snowcat
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Snowcat »

Any situation like this requires a contract of some sort and no 2 set-ups are exactly alike.

It's possible but you would need to negotiate a new contract to do so. The up-side of that is that the new contract is written to todays standards rather than 1986's
There are but 2 rules in this realm:-
1) He who sees first is the winner...
2) He who is seen first is toast...