Post by Fidjit »

I must admit, I'm quite impressed! :)
If the only way is onward how would you get home for tea?? :-/
jaydrive
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Re:Km-VR Pilot Discussion

Post by jaydrive »

Kieran wrote: From what I gather, it was Hugo Myatt himself.
It sounded like Hugo to me.
MoanaLiza
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by MoanaLiza »

I don't know if it was me or my video player as Treguard's voice seemed to sound to me like Tim Child's. It might've been me though.
The Forum Moana and chief honey pot carrier!
"Come and take a gander at this bit of ugliness"
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

Times have changed quite drasically Moana... ;)
If the only way is onward how would you get home for tea?? :-/
Ark
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Ark »

I dunno, 4 or 5 months away from my computer and a new Knightmare episode suddenly comes out! Well, sort of. :)

My take on it:

Music in the Dwarf Tunnels been mentioned, a lot, so I'll skip that. I quite liked the music used in some of the chambers (especially Despair's Chamber), it reminded me of music used in the good old days of video games! :)

I liked the exchange between Fear and Lissard. My only (rather minor) gripe was that there wasn't much in the way of movement in the characters (anyone remember Mark Knight's frantic expressions when Lissard made yet another mistake? :) ).

Time for really nasty, too-much-time-on-my-hands nitpicking - I think it should be the Advisor who acts as Spellcaster rather than the Dungeoneer. Personal preference. *dodges annoyed looks*

Out of interest, who are the voice actors in the video? Hugo Myatt's been mentioned, but how about the others? Fear sounded like Mark Knight, but Lissard didn't sound exactly like like Cliff Barry's version of him from S7 and 8. And Elly sounded like Joanne Heywood to me. :)
When you stare too long into the abyss, the abyss stares back at you...
Thanatos
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Thanatos »

Yes, Beveryafraid, who were the actors? And one other thing you didn't answer before: were the children's words scripted?

If the tunnels between rooms aren't going to be like that in the real thing, then I like the look of this.

One thing puzzles me: if this is VR and the dungeoneer can thus see where he's going, why was there so much side-stepping? This crab-like means of travel was only employed in the original because it was a more convenient way to guide someone blindfolded than constantly having him turn, so why did Arthur keep doing it? Was this a deliberate attempt to maintain the spirit of the original?
"The Tory Party is the cream of society: rich, thick and full of clots." - anonymous
beveryafraid
Creator of Knightmare

Post by beveryafraid »

Some of your queries addressed:

Hugo was Hugo
Lord Fear was Mark Knight
The narrator (Goblin) and the Ogre were myself.
Nick Collett played both Lissard and Despair.
Louise Milford was Ellie

One Line from the dungeoneer (arthur) was scripted.
We used side steps in the Slice n Dice because when we tried it freeform everyone died. Even with sidesteps in the London tests, 3 out of 4 teams perished. It's really very, very much harder than we made it look in the recorded sequence, where obviously we only had one featured team, and for the purpose of the excercise we had to show them succeeding.
None of you clever clogs has so far spotted the non-deliberate mistake!
A small but tasteful momento goes to the first to do so?

bva
play the endgame and play only to win
FrightKnight
Knight
Knight

Post by FrightKnight »

Oh crumbs, I'm hopeless at spotting mistakes unless they hit me like a brick, yet I'd really like a momento!

I'll plump for the Arthur guy saying "I think we should take (whatever letter he says)" when there is clearly no letter there on the first row, on the slice me dice me room.

How's that? Do I win?

And naturally, Hugo was Treguard as well as Hugo. ;D
"A rotting pie! Oh no, I'm dead!"
TheBrollachan
Knight
Knight

Post by TheBrollachan »

Here's a few possible mistakes (some more genuine than others)...

The dungeoneer asking his advisor what she could see even though the dungeoneer has nothing restricting his eyesight (a reason for some sort of helmet of justice)?

Lissard eats Tuna and not Haddock - so his breath wouldn't smell of Haddock?

I think the Slice me Dice room has the mistake in - the first set spell VEND yet he thinks the first letter is A. It did puzzle me when I first saw the clip but I ignored it at the time.

Anyway as for the actual transition from a real dungeoneer to an avatar I would suggest having the real dungeoneer to start with in a real anti-chamber (ie. not a computer generated one). Then as with the start of series 5 quests where there is a sort of force-field over the starting doorway the real dungeoneer could head to the doorway. As they go beyond the force-field they become the virtual dungeoneer.
Last edited by TheBrollachan on 14 Sep 2004, 14:59, edited 1 time in total.
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SmokeHits
Keeper of the original modellers' cast of the Brollachan.
FrightKnight
Knight
Knight

Post by FrightKnight »

The Brollachan wrote:
I think the Slice me Dice room has the mistake in - the first set spell VEND yet he thinks the first letter is A. It did puzzle me when I first saw the clip but I ignored it at the time.
That's the mistake I meant! Didn't have access to the clip at the time, but I remember thinking the Arthur dungeoneer was a bit of an oaf for thinking of the letter 'A'.
"A rotting pie! Oh no, I'm dead!"
HarveyTowers
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by HarveyTowers »

What about the advisor givng a detailed description of the items on the table to the dungeoneer, under the old regime that would have been the other way round!
Good night out there; whatever you are!
Ankaris
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Ankaris »

When Lissard and Lord Fear are talking about Slice Me Dice Me:

"But the chances of a dungeoneer guessing it are infinitesimal. Oh how I love that word. It so describes my talents."

Is it just me or is Lord Fear saying he's useless? :D

Mistake in the script?
I've always wondered... would you dodge the blades in the CoB if you just lay down?
beveryafraid
Creator of Knightmare

Post by beveryafraid »

No winners so far

bva
play the endgame and play only to win
TheBrollachan
Knight
Knight

Post by TheBrollachan »

Are the dungeons ruled by Lord Fear or is it really who rules them Treguard?

Ah in the seeing stone sequence when we first see the slice-me-dice-me room in front of the first set of letters there appears to be a ledge where the axes swing across (similar to the ledges after the first set of letters). Yet in the room when the dungeoneer is in it this axe ledge doesn't exist - it is a plain ledge which Arthur starts on.

If todays password was today which is fish related (Friday), and the password is set to tommorrow then the password given should have been Saturday?
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SmokeHits
Keeper of the original modellers' cast of the Brollachan.
Grindoch
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Grindoch »

I might feel a bit embarassed if I, a mere Knewbie, get this right over the veterans of the Forum, but the oddest thing that strikes me is how either the dungeoneer or the advisor know the PICKMEUP spell without having read it on the scroll from the clue room or been given it in any previous room.

I really enjoyed the new pilot sequence- it seems only right, and only viable, that Knightmare has to utilise new technology to return to our screens, so I have no problem with "VR". It's visually very impressive and reminiscent of the original. Obviously puzzles for the sequence are very similar to the operation of the dungeon in series past, but I think I'm correct in saying that the possibility to present new challenges to the dungeoneers has opened up enormously in Virtual Reality. It makes the prospect of a return to TV all the more exciting. As a long-time Knightmare fan, I've started to get all tingly again despite the cynicism and world weariness :P I've aquired in the intervening years. I think the Televirtual team has done a marvellous job to resurrect the show and I really hope it gets comissioned.

By the way, my suggestion for the Goblin codenamed "beveryafraid" is Grindoch, although I have this nagging feeling that I'm just regurgitating something I've heard before rather than coming up with anything knew.