Filthy Challenge

Discussion of the repeats of Knightmare on the satellite channel Challenge?
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Filthy Challenge

Post by GrimaldineGrimwold »

From the Challenge? forums:

Alas, Challenge? does not currently have plans to show any other series of Knightmare at this present time. While we are looking at different types of programming to bring our viewers as our audience grows and changes, we would not rule out looking at Knightmare again sometime in the future.

We will be repeating episodes 4 - 13 throughout March, as the first three episodes have already been shown twice. The final three episodes from the series will be shown as part of our Cult Selection slot in May.
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
Trial_by_Spikes
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Re: Filthy Challenge

Post by Trial_by_Spikes »

The Bar Stewards.
Oh look there's J.G. Ballard in a burnt-out fridge with a spitfire pilot.
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

There's always F tn. Perhaps they can be persuaded.
Subject to change.
Debz_g
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Debz_g »

Oh Knickers!  >:(

Is there no information on the ratings either? Surely they were good enough for them to want to continue showing Knightmare? I suppose the small mercy is that those who have missed some episodes and wish to record it, now can do...but still... I was secretly hoping they would continue with series 4 and quite looking forward to watching a "Clean" copy,  to actually be able to see the first five minutes of episode 1 without terrible picture distortion. Oh well I guess its just back to reality for a while then  :'(

On another far scarier note, it seems I might see my ugly mush on the telly in May then...now then all of you, make sure you forget to set your videos for that one! :-/
"You think maybe a girl can't do this? Ha!! Like camel I spit on you!!"
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

I'm sure Illusion will put it on the site, Debz, unless you ask very nicely!  ;)

Everyone: Don't be disheartened yet. There's also the possibility of a DVD release.
Subject to change.
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Just a few addresses for reference:

If you wish to send a message to Challenge? (aka The Filth), the thread the above quotation is taken from (which is now getting some reaction) is here:

http://www.challengetv.co.uk/ubb/Forum5 ... 00144.html

If you'd like to contribute to the campaign to get Knightmare shown on FTN, you can do so here:

http://www.ftn.tv/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000089.html

I suppose we should understand The Filth?'s decision. After all, when you have popular groundbreaking new shows like Beadle's About in your lineup...
Last edited by GrimaldineGrimwold on 18 Feb 2003, 19:02, edited 1 time in total.
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
Trial_by_Spikes
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Trial_by_Spikes »

Don't knock "Beadle's About" - it's brilliant.
Oh look there's J.G. Ballard in a burnt-out fridge with a spitfire pilot.
Treguard
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Treguard »

Here are some notes from a conversation with someone from Challenge? ----

wasn't that the ratings weren't good.

they want to push somewhere else with other programmes
was doing well (ratings wise)
moving towards action/adventure

So Knightmare was indeed doing fine with the ratings, apparently it's just not the direction they want to go in at the moment (but why did they want to get Knightmare in the first place? Also, surely Knightmare is considered  "Traditional Action/Adventure game" ?
Since when has Takeshi's Castle (although a fantastic programme) been traditional action/adventure? (although it does bear resemblance to "It's A Knock-Out"

Furthermore, if you wish to contact any people at Challenge? Then we suggest you go through the

www.flextech.co.uk

and they should have a contact list
OoooOooOoohhhhh Nasty
Debz_g
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Debz_g »

A word to the wise, perhaps all correspondence to aforemention channel should not be addressed to "The Filth"! Maybe that way we wont exactly get what we want!! I can just imagine the type of response that we will get, but since this is a family site, I wont go down that road!!  ;) GG, I suggest you get Festus onto it double quick!!

But seriously, I definately say go for it, contact them again and show them the demand for Knightmare is still as strong as ever. If Knightmare wasnt the programming route they were after, then it does seem fairly silly to me that they would even bother commissioning it in the first place.
It is also fairly annoying that we recently signed up to Sky so that we could watch Knightmare. So in the process of us watching one programme, Challenge? have also pulled us into watch some of their other programmes, therefore boosting their ratings fullstop. Grr!
Last edited by Debz_g on 18 Feb 2003, 22:33, edited 1 time in total.
"You think maybe a girl can't do this? Ha!! Like camel I spit on you!!"
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

A word to the wise, perhaps all correspondence to aforemention channel should not be addressed to "The Filth"!
Definitely! I hope you didn't mind me using that aphorism here. It's certainly not something I'd say to Challenge?.

Thanks for the info., Treguard. I've phoned around a few contacts too, and that's pretty much the impression I've got as well. As has been noted, it's a confusing strategy on their part.
Porsmond
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Porsmond »

Here are some notes from a conversation with someone from Challenge? ----  

wasn't that the ratings weren't good.  

they want to push somewhere else with other programmes
was doing well (ratings wise)
moving towards action/adventure  

>:( >:(  >:( >:( I'm sorry but if this is true, it makes their decision highly bizarre, Isnt Knightmare considered action/adventure material anyway, I just dont get it. Personally I think this is the worst decision ever, lets look at a few facts

Knightmare was the most popular kids programme at its prime, Didnt it used to get something like 4-5 million viewers??
When I talk to people about old programmes they used to like, Knightmare always seems to sneak into the conversation, and people have always wondered why CITV stopped making it, and why it is not on out TV screens anymore.
Knightmare won the Kult Selection at Christmas 2002, this shows how many people were willing to see it again, and I bet the margin between 2nd place was quite some distance.
Surely the Ratings on challenge have been big, and if Challenge could wake up and see this, why are they taking the decision not to show more series if its been popular.

Treguard, thanks for the info, I might just have to e-mail Challenge and tell them where to stick their awful decision(Up their asses is a good bet) also personally I say we should bomb their e-mail address week after week until they get the message
Last edited by Porsmond on 19 Feb 2003, 01:03, edited 1 time in total.
Illusion
Knight
Knight

Re: Challenge

Post by Illusion »

Hmm... interesting.

Before Christmas they seemed pretty positive about showing more series, so I there's probably been a recent change of direction for the new year, perhaps.

They were very good to show Series 3, and they haven't ruled out showing Knightmare in the future so I don't think its that bad knews. I think other shows on Challenge have been rested for a while and came back.

I don't think bombarding them with abuse will help at all. They seem to already be aware of the demand, and maybe later in the year would be a good time to ask them again about it.
You're on the edge of a ledge...
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

I don't think any of us are seriously considering sending them abusive correspondence. Any insults against Challenge? here are, I think, purely in the heat of the moment, a sign of disappointment. And I think considering the strange logic at work here, those of us who've worked hard to get them to show it in the first place have some reason to feel disappointed. Of course, I hope anyone who does consider being abusive to Challenge? either on their website or by email realises quite how counterproductive that would be.

I'm not sure about the "resting" it theory. In fairness to them, they're not resting it- they're continuing to show what they have got for the time being,  but not showing any intention of getting new rights. Also, the shows they've rested have been those that have suffered ratings-wise. From the little we know, a problem with ratings does not exist in this instance.

It's a strange step. I'm an eternal pessimist, and even I was slightly hopeful they might be a little more willing to show it.
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

It may be that the ratings for Km were good to the point that they want to drag out series 3's appeal for as long as possibile - THEN get another series when everyone's sick of it!
Subject to change.
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

It may be that the ratings for Km were good to the point that they want to drag out series 3's appeal for as long as possibile - THEN get another series when everyone's sick of it!
You optimist! I suppose we always thought they'd show S3 one more time being doing anything, but it does sound from what they've said on their boards and privately that they're not even thinking of getting new series to show even after they've shown S3 another time.